Caches on Private Property

abingdon

I'm new to this hobby and am enjoying it a lot. :)

However, a number of the caches I've been looking for have been placed in residential areas, malls and other types of private property. I've been stopped twice and asked what I was doing. Several other times, people have been watching suspiciously from their windows. :D

Are there any guidelines about this? :(

Thanks,

Roy in Abingdon

The general rule is that permission must be obtained whenever a cache is placed on private property. In reality, though, most caches in "public access" areas, such as parking lots and outdoor malls, are allowed to pass by this requirement. You get used to being watched suspiciously and occasionally confronted after a while, until you learn to be less conspicuous (and even then sometimes you can't avoid it).

There are no guidelines as such, but if you find yourself feeling uncomfortable looking for a particualr cache, leave it for another day.

If you are stopped, explain what you are doing. Since (in theory!) all caches are placed with permission you are doing nothing wrong.

You could carry a copy of the Groundspeak "Guide To Geocaching" leaflet (PDF format) leaflet (see here) both to help you explain what you are up to and because it looks somewhat 'official'.

Mike

Recently did my first cache IN a guys yard. Residential area, etc.. Cache page stated that neighbors know about it and were cool with it, but it was still a little weird walking up into a strangers front yard poking around in his bushes. So we sent the kids to do it. ;-)

Caches around buildings are always a little touch and go, you have to trust your gut, if it just feels like I shouldn't be there, I'll sometimes just move on to the next cache.

I usually pass by caches that are in private property. Unfortunately its difficult to determine from the map whether that's the case.

One cache I arrived at GZ at the intersetion of 2 residential streets with houses on 1/4 acre lots. Sat with my geopartner discussing whether we should do it. Then I glanced over and saw the cache on the street sign 2 fet from the geomobile. Yes we grabbed it. I would assume nobody would place a cache in a front yard unless it was THEIR front yard. However, the gut needs to rule.

The general rule is that permission must be obtained whenever a cache is placed on private property. In reality, though, most caches in "public access" areas, such as parking lots and outdoor malls, are allowed to pass by this requirement. You get used to being watched suspiciously and occasionally confronted after a while, until you learn to be less conspicuous (and even then sometimes you can't avoid it).

Even for caches where specific permission has been obtained from the property owner you can still get questioned. I've got a cache that's in a nice little garden area behind a business, generally open to the public, but was placed with permission of the owner. A recent seeker was questioned by some friends of the owner. Of course the friend were never informed that the geocache was located on the property and were just protecting their friends property. Unfortunately, it created a bit of an uncomfortable situtation but I'm not sure how it could be avoided.

Similarly, even when permission is obtained to place a cache in/near a business parking lot it's probably a pretty good bet that not all of the employees of that business are informed of the cache.

We occasionally find ourselves giving up on caches on private property. However, we have also just about passed on many that were listed as being on private property, but ended up being accessible from the sidewalk (frequently in the strip between the sidewalk and road).

Cache owners sometimes need to think more from the perspective of how finders will feel about searching.

Even if the cache is placed with permission, someone can still call the cops.

GC1DR45

It just got dark. We had been there for about 15 min. and the next thing we know, 3 cop cars pull in to the parking lot blocking us in and then 4 cops jump out just as I walk around the end of my truck holding the ammo can. Everything turned out ok, but it made for an interesting few moments.

That was the third time we had an "official" encounter. Things happen. If you don't feel good about an area or a cache, just move on.

GC1DR45

It just got dark. We had been there for about 15 min. and the next thing we know, 3 cop cars pull in to the parking lot blocking us in and then 4 cops jump out just as I walk around the end of my truck holding the ammo can. Everything turned out ok, but it made for an interesting few moments.

That was the third time we had an "official" encounter. Things happen. If you don't feel good about an area or a cache, just move on.

I see your three police cars and raise three, plus guns drawn. And that was in a public park. Seems a neighbor to the park called me in as a "nut with a gun". I didn't know Garmin made a gun. :D

GC1DR45

I see your three police cars and raise three, plus guns drawn. And that was in a public park. Seems a neighbor to the park called me in as a "nut with a gun". I didn't know Garmin made a gun. :lol:

Ah yes! The Garmin .44, its a fine weapon. Shot down many a caches with one in my day!

Recently did my first cache IN a guys yard. Residential area, etc.. Cache page stated that neighbors know about it and were cool with it, but it was still a little weird walking up into a strangers front yard poking around in his bushes. So we sent the kids to do it. ;-)

Caches around buildings are always a little touch and go, you have to trust your gut, if it just feels like I shouldn't be there, I'll sometimes just move on to the next cache.

Ahh! That's what kids are for. I'm gonna have to buy me a couple of those once the economy picks up or maybe I could just rent them on caching days. My numbers should really benefit :lol: .

Edited by Pax42

I'm new to this hobby and am enjoying it a lot. :)

However, a number of the caches I've been looking for have been placed in residential areas, malls and other types of private property. I've been stopped twice and asked what I was doing. Several other times, people have been watching suspiciously from their windows. :lol:

Are there any guidelines about this? :D

Thanks,

Roy in Abingdon

Get used to it. You do look suspicious regardless of the cache you are looking for. When I looked at my handy terrorist training guide caching hit 80--90% of the behaviors that we are supposed to look for and report.

I am new to geocaching. Started in April, but made my #100 find today! If I go to a cache and have to search around in front of muggles, I usually won't do that cache. I still haven't totally got the hang of using my GPS and I need time to wander around and don't want anyone watching me. I, too, wonder about those caches hidden on guard rails along the road, the ones in cemeteries (my favorites because no one wonders why you are walking around there)and the ones in local parks in town. Did they ask for permission to place those?

Tell them you playing a scavenger hunt type of game. Most folks understand that terminology better than "geocaching". Has worked for police contacts too.

I use the scavenger hunt analogy when explaining the game. It has always worked well regardless of how accurate it may be in the minds of other cachers.

I can understand the garmin gun mix up. I've been questioned a few times about my Magellan .22 MicroSlayer Sportrak Map. My wife owns a Garmin 357 that's bored out for a .38 special. She's taken many an ammo cans with it. She claims its for her own personal protection from irrate muggles, but I know better. She's after the big game. Swizzle

I try to collect as much info from the cache page and comments to limit my wandering time in public areas. I tend to look for the ones that take me away from town and dont require me to pull a giant ammo can from behind a bush at the mall. I have not had the opprotunity of being chased down by the cops yet... hopefully I wont have that issue.