What is the etiquette for placing a cache....

mr.mudd

several states away from where you live? I have some friends who to my knowledge are not into geocaching. They live in a very rural area 3 states away from where I live and upon checking, I discovered there are very few caches near them.

So, what is the etiquette for placing a cache somewhere that I may not return to for several years? I guess this is a question of cache maintenance; I will not be able to maintain it from where I live. I'm sure I can find some good spots that are secluded enough that they won't get muggled.

I know one option is to introduce my friends to geocaching and politely ask if they can maintain the cache in my absence....or even allow them to be cache owners themselves.

But what if they aren't interested in geocaching? Is it wrong to place a cache somewhere that I know I may not return to for a long time?

several states away from where you live? I have some friends who to my knowledge are not into geocaching. They live in a very rural area 3 states away from where I live and upon checking, I discovered there are very few caches near them.

So, what is the etiquette for placing a cache somewhere that I may not return to for several years? I guess this is a question of cache maintenance; I will not be able to maintain it from where I live. I'm sure I can find some good spots that are secluded enough that they won't get muggled.

I know one option is to introduce my friends to geocaching and politely ask if they can maintain the cache in my absence....or even allow them to be cache owners themselves.

But what if they aren't interested in geocaching? Is it wrong to place a cache somewhere that I know I may not return to for a long time?

The cache won't be published, this is under the heading of "Vacation Caches". If you have a local maintainer, maybe it will fly.

The cache won't be published, this is under the heading of "Vacation Caches". If you have a local maintainer, maybe it will fly.

Thank you, that was exactly what I was wondering. Guess I'll have to introduce some folks to geocaching :D

Vacation cache placement is not allowed. The criteria is that, typically, you must reside within 50 miles of the cache location unless there are extenuating circumstances like if you travel to the spot every X amount of days.

BUT, you can have someone maintain the caches for you if your reviewer will allow.

The problem is that you WILL have to visit your cache periodically for cache maintenance and the GS listing is based on the maintenance requirements.

Vacation cache placement is not allowed. The criteria is that, typically, you must reside within 50 miles of the cache location unless there are extenuating circumstances like if you travel to the spot every X amount of days.

BUT, you can have someone maintain the caches for you if your reviewer will allow.

The problem is that you WILL have to visit your cache periodically for cache maintenance and the GS listing is based on the maintenance requirements.

Now I'm thinking more along the lines of introducing them to geocaching, having them place it (as they know the land better than me anyways), and letting them be the cache owners/maintainers.

50 miles? Where did you find that in the guidelines??

50 miles? Where did you find that in the guidelines??

I never said it was written in the guidelines. The criteria was given to me by a reviewer. I was sent a note on the first cache I placed. I hadn't entered home coords yet and the reviewer asked me to confirm its distance from my house and notified me of a 50 mile radius.