Why I WILL NOT be placing caches

These are the posts that make me disappointed enuf to make the title my philosiphy

_________________________________________________________________________________

----- Original Message ----

I am sorely disappointed in yer approach to my cache Park295.

As a relatively new member of the geocache community I feel very wronged by the lack of simple caution to protect a cache.

The posting noted the exposed nature of the cache (in case it wasn't obvious while yer standing next to it) but in placing the cache it only took 4-5 cycles of the light to get a time for placing the cache without ANYONE seeing me. If this kind of delay is too much for you perhaps you need a more relaxing hobby. One would think that after 800+ finds you would have the techniques down but maybe we should look into how many oif your finds have lead to missing caches for the next loggers!!!

I realize I sound angry but this is my second placement and for this park this was a very good 'secure' location...well for less than an hour it was...

JM Chicago

AND This was the reply to the above enraged post which I sent after reading the 2 logs at the bottom, both posted hours after my 2nd placed cache hit the web. Cache GC1W9ZF placed 7/23/09

______________________________________________________________________________________

May I suggest, respectfully, that Derrek Rose will probably never tell Michael Jordan how to shoot a free throw? Which is not to suggest that you are Derrek Rose nor I Michael Jordan, but it follows.

You yourself correctly pointed out that you are relatively new to the hobby, so I'll fill you in on a few things you're bound to pick up over the coming months/years.

1. Your cache hide is commonly known among the geocaching community as a Lamp Post Micro, or LPM - did you know your hide had its own acronym? It is a hiding style that has been done and redone in front of thousands of WalMarts from Boston to Portland and will be copied thousands more times. Seems clever now. Quickly loses it's luster after that tenth or eleventh dozen.

2. My approach to the cache differed from every other approach that every other cacher from here on out will take in exactly one way - mine was at night, going for a FTF. I can count the number of cachers I know (and I know several dozen) on one hand who will wait "through 4-5 light cycles" for zero cars at the corner of Austin and Foster to retrieve an LPM.

3. The only reason your cache got noticed was because we (Wheels, R Grande and I) had the misfortune of visitng this cache when someone was performing maintenance on that particular lamp post. Otherwise, I could crounch down there at the height of rush hour and no one will care.

4. Let me know how good you think the location is when we get more than 6 inches of snowfall.

I would suggest you take your car for a spin around the block a few times before you tell me how I should drive on the expressway. Please don't suggest to me how I should spend my free time. Because really, at the end of the day, that was the part that insulted me.

Have a nice day.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THESES ARE THE LOGS upon which I based my indignation

Quick find, and I believe I was the culprit from the muggling attempt. Guess I need to hone the stealth skills eh? thanks for getting my back

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Edited version of my original log:

Found GZ, but the signal lights were out and the city showed up to fix them, so I had to abort before actually making the grab. (It would seem that _______ beat me to the punch and spotted me as I arrived, searched a bit, and then left to avoid getting the cache muggled. (How _____ got there before me is beyond comprehension. The cache couldn't have been posted for more than 30 minutes when I arrived!)

I left for a little while and then I swung back around in about an hour to find the city worker disposing of the cache because he saw "Someone" find, sign and replace the cache. He actually thought he was witness to a some kind of covert drug exchange.

I explained to the worker what geocaching is and talked him into letting the cache live on at its current location.

I will guess that I must yield FTF (BUT HOW!!!!) but I would like to have the honorary title of FTSTC (First to Save The Cache).

WOW, the cache has only been around for a few hours, found thrice, and already has quite the story!

____________________________________________________________________________________

I have congratulated the FTF and thanked the FTSTC but was driven to fire off the first item when I read the last 2 logs posted here and realized some GCers are more concerned with trying to get stats and FTF's than helping others continue to enjoy the game.

When I recieved the reply (first item) I knew that even as I continue to enjoy cacheing there are rude, nasty people also playing and they have no compunction to be good stewards for this game. How unfortunate for the kind and graciuos people I have met in the short time I have been playing the Cache Game.

JM Chicago

Edited by JM Chicago

I fail to see why you wouldn't hide a cache, based on that story. It was a bad experience, nothing more.

Here is what I have learned about geocaching.

The best people on the planet, geocache, but so do the worst.

So, since you don't have to worry about the best of the cachers, you do have to consider the opposite. The worst common denominator is who you have to hide for. That person will be disrespectful, uncaring, and otherwise not helpful to the integrity of the game/sport/hobby.

The kicker is that this low denominator is the bad apple in the bunch and does end up spoiling a lot.

Sad but true.

Keep caching, and have fun. When you aren't having fun, move on.

Wow. So let's get this straight. (The original post is a little confusing and it took me a couple of reads to understand it.).....

You placed a cache, one of the first finders was unintentionally spotted by a muggle who just happened to be in the area to fix something nearby. So you sent a pretty nasty email telling that finder to be more careful next time. No wonder you got a pretty rude email in reply.

Caches get discovered accidentally all the time. It's part of the game. You should reconsider your response. I don't think it was justified and maybe it's best if you don't place any more caches.

I'm not a real fan of stealth but...

Don't get upset at someone over something so silly. If you hide a cache you will have all sorts of things to deal with. It is part of owning a cache.

This kind of thing doesn't happen often. Was this done on purpose? Certainly not.

I can see being upset but don't worry, it's all good. :D

I kinda agree with your reasoning. If you are so thin skinned as to let something like this bother you, perhaps cache ownership isn't your forte'. The good news is you've recognized this early, and by not hiding gobs of film cans in various bits of shrubbery, you will avoid countless hours of angst and frustration. :D

Wow. So let's get this straight. (The original post is a little confusing and it took me a couple of reads to understand it.).....

You placed a cache, one of the first finders was unintentionally spotted by a muggle who just happened to be in the area to fix something nearby. So you sent a pretty nasty email telling that finder to be more careful next time. No wonder you got a pretty rude email in reply.

Caches get discovered accidentally all the time. It's part of the game. You should reconsider your response. I don't think it was justified

Seconded. Sometimes, no matter how careful you are, you'll get spotted. It happens, and there's nothing you can do about it. Especially somewhere like a busy intersection.

And besides, it's the people who don't leave logs you have to worry about.

i can't even figure out who's who in that story, it might have been better if it went like this:

i went to find a cache, but this happened...

or i hid a cache and this happened...

but it being about a LPC makes me not even care so much.

Edited by namiboy

So, 4 or 5 light cycles to grab the cache and another 4 or 5 cycles to be able to replace the cache? If the light cycles ever 2 minutes, probably more like 4, that would be up to 20 minutes for a P.O.C LPM. LPM's generally rate about 1 minute, find sign & re-hide to make them worth the effort.

Once you hide a cache you have no control over how the finders go about finding your cache. Think about that if you decide to place another cache and place it somewhere where the finder has a bit more "cover" while looking for the cache.

I kinda agree with your reasoning. If you are so thin skinned as to let something like this bother you, perhaps cache ownership isn't your forte'. The good news is you've recognized this early, and by not hiding gobs of film cans in various bits of shrubbery, you will avoid countless hours of angst and frustration. <_<

I sorta agree.

This is what I find funny:

Your cache hide is commonly known among the geocaching community as a Lamp Post Micro

All that angst and controlling behavior over a LPC? :blink::blink::D

I could understand a little angst over something that took more effort but righteous indignation over a hide that takes all of 15 minutes to make? :(

Chitown,

LPCs while they have their rightful place are the cannon fodder of geocaching. Many have a lifespan roughly shorter than a worker bee. Most only blow up the skirt they were hidden under. :blink:

Try your hand at a more significant hide and you may find the experience more rewarding. :blink:

If your BP spikes over that, then you might wanna hang it up and concentrate on finding. :)

Here is what I have learned about geocaching.

The best people on the planet, geocache, but so do the worst.

That's sort of an oxymoron isn't it? :D

I sorta agree with the first part. Geocachers are my kinda people but the best? Certainly many are among that subset since there may well be over a million of us. I haven't met many geocaching saints other than JoGPS, MissJenn, and Shauna and those last 2 are more like angels than saints. :(

Now, I don't know about you but to me the worst people on the planet are murderers, child molesters, serial killers, genocidal dictators, and that lot. I haven't heard of too many of those that geocache. I did hear about a serial killer that had a gc.com profile once, but there was no evidence that he was all that active in geocaching. As I recall he had like 15 finds and no hides or sumthin'. (Sorry for the lack of facts I've slept since then.)

Or maybe you could give your own qualifications so I can understand that statement. :)

I kinda agree with your reasoning. If you are so thin skinned as to let something like this bother you, perhaps cache ownership isn't your forte'. The good news is you've recognized this early, and by not hiding gobs of film cans in various bits of shrubbery, you will avoid countless hours of angst and frustration. :D

Here is my take on your cache. You chose to hide a free film canister underneath a lamppost in a highly visible location. Then you have the gumption to get mad at the first few finders by going so far was to violate the guidelines and post your silly soapbox comment on the cache page.

Am I gonna have to give seminars on STEALTH...

This is exposed just as I stated. The cannister is clearly marked as a geocache but that won't stop muggles and city workers from 'losing' the cache.

The first day, heck dern near the first hour, and a Cacher exposes the cache to exposure....AAARRGGGGHHHH!!!

Jeff

The Chicagoan

As Mom would say it...I am terribly disappointed in you boys...

BUT I do thank you for your interest and for salvaging the cache.

It is your fault for choosing such a busy spot in the first place. Caches hidden in "hi-viz" spots routinely disappear. Did you ever ask for permission to hide your film canister under the city's equipment? Anyone who lectures finders with emails and notes on the cache page about lost film canisters has "control issues." If this means Geocaching will not have anymore LPCs placed by an overzealous hider like yourself, all I can say is; :(:)<_<:blink::blink::blink::blink::(:(:P

Edited by Kit Fox

OK, now that we have all learned something. Let's move on. The horse is dead, stop beating it!

Mistakes are good. You learn from them, I hope. If you don't make mistakes (I'm talking to both sides of the issue here), then you are perfect and I want to meet you because I have never yet met a perfect person.

'Nuf sed!

OK, now that we have all learned something. Let's move on. The horse is dead, stop beating it!

Mistakes are good. You learn from them, I hope. If you don't make mistakes (I'm talking to both sides of the issue here), then you are perfect and I want to meet you because I have never yet met a perfect person.

'Nuf sed!

My wife even put on her Facebook that I'm perfect so I guess it's okay for ME to comment further if I wanna. :)

You can meet me at GW8, but just so ya know, I'm taken. :blink:<_<:(:D

'Nuf sed!

My wife even put on her Facebook that I'm perfect so I guess it's okay for ME to comment further if I wanna. :)

You can meet me at GW8, but just so ya know, I'm taken. :blink:<_<:(:D

FINALLY. Mr. Perfect! Don't that beat all. My wife just calls me sh-- head. Still, it's good to meet ya! :blink:

I sorta agree with the first part. Geocachers are my kinda people but the best? Certainly many are among that subset since there may well be over a million of us. I haven't met many geocaching saints other than JoGPS, MissJenn, and Shauna and those last 2 are more like angels than saints. :D

I looked for you at GW VII but I was slowed down by all the blessings I was giving out to other cachers. Otherwise your list could have included me too. There are pictures of me and the angels at GW VII in my profile. If you print them out and put them in your wallet they will provide protection and enhanced caching senses until we meet. No pictures of JoGPS and I as having the two of us together would have been overwhelming to any new cachers. :):(

For the OP.

You will find that for your type of cache that generally walking straight up to the cache, signing the log and putting it back will draw less attention to you than if you hang around for a long time. The FTF cacher was just using their knowledge to make themselves less visible. It was unfortunate that a worker saw them, anyone else would have thought they were checking on the light, the worker knew that they didn't belong.

my neighbor's cat is brown.

edit to add:

i appreciate your announcement of this just as much as she does.

other significant announcements you might make:

that you will not be wearing any fuschia shirts

that you do not intend to order the anchovy pizza

that you have switched toothpaste brands

i wait anxiously for the next revelation.

Edited by flask

JM Chicago,

I'm not going to sugar coat this any: You were rude and you owe the cacher an apology for your reaction.

I'm sorry your first cache hide was a bad experience. My first hide defiantly didn't go smoothly either. I would recommend taking this experience as a learning opportunity. The next time you hide a cache, if you change your mind, I'm sure it will go much smoother.

I have a friend who likes to point out the cache placement is half the game. So I hope that you will learn from the experience and develop new caches.

When caches are placed in busy areas, the owner has to take responsibility since stealth can only go so far. One local cache used to be placed in a lamp post, in the middle of a planting area, on a busy street corner, in a park that people use at all hours. On top of it, the lamp post skirt squeaked loudly. There was nothing to do but to go straight in and act like you knew what you were doing. Eventually a park worker asked that the cache be moved because the plants were growing around the area. But it lasted longer than I might have thought.

My worst placement was an ammo can in a park that looked like it would be fairly secure when I placed it on a rainy, overcast day. It took someone less than 24 hours to find it and replace the contents with dirt -- which was unfortunate because I had spent well over $100 on the cache. I learned from that one.

I also have placed a cache in a fairly busy area. It took me at least four or five tries before finding a place that seems to work (at least it has for the past few months), so sometimes its a matter of trial and error. And with around 1100 finds for that particular cache, things are bound to go wrong sometimes. I certainly would not blame any cacher for not being careful enough.

So if the placement did not work out, think about what you can do to make the next one better. The reasons why you wanted to bring someone to that particular area. The difficulty of making the find unnoticed in light of the surrounding circumstances and how much maintenance you want to do if things don't work out. And realize that the unexpected will always happen sooner or later.

Edited by Erickson

edit to add:

Brown cats are actually pretty rare. It must be a calico.

These are the posts that make me disappointed enuf to make the title my philosiphy

_________________________________________________________________________________

----- Original Message ----

I am sorely disappointed...blah,blah,blah.

hulkavl3.jpg

I already know I'll ruffle some feathers, but everyone is throwing in their opinion, so I will also. This is an example of what I see more often than I would like to in geocaching...a hider that takes the "This is MINE!! And you have to play by MY rules!!" attitude too far.

Sure, the caches that we place ARE ours, but they also belong to every single person who finds them.....cacher or not. By us placing a cache in a public area, where almost all of them are, we just need to ease up on the "rules" a bit & accept the fact that things may not always go just as we want them to at the cache location.

If things go bad, just carry on & use that as a lesson learned. Petty arguing over this "This is MY property & I OWN it, so I'll tell you how I want you to behave around MY cache" stuff does nothing to improve the professionalism & enjoyment of the sport. I have a cache or two also. I trust in my fellow cachers that they will use proper etiquette around my cache. If they don't, well, I just chalk it up as a bad experience & move on.

On the other hand, making marathon cache runs, with no regard to cache etiguette, for the sole purpose of getting an FTF or the most in one day, is improper behaviour also.

I can remember our first caches "in town". When someone wrote some swear words and called us names on the logbook and left a half of a cigarette and an old, dirty wornout hat, I was very upset. I was also upset when we went to one and found an arrow made in rocks pointing to our cache. AND I was really upset when our first cache was trashed and strewn about.

We actually stopped placing caches "in town" for awhile. We placed our caches in the rural areas and they are doing good and we enjoy all of those logs whenever anyone finds one.

Then, when we considered placing some "in town" once again, we carefully thought about the placement and containers. They all are doing fine now.

We also realized that as soon we place any cache *NO MATTER WHERE*, what happens to it is out of our control. It is just a game piece waiting to be used by players or others that happen upon it and then thrown away eventually.

If you are not having fun - why do it?

Shirley~

edit to add:

she's actually a tabby, but the overall effect is brown.

edit to add:

Female Tabby's are actually some of the best Cats. I have to get rid of this friggin' black male domestic shorthair. He pee's on everything.

I have 3 cats, a female blue mackerel tabby, a female tabby/tortie mix, I think, and a male gray tuxedo. He's never peed on anything that I know of, and will spend as much time as possible on my lap.

As for not hiding caches, you can't make a statement like that based on a couple issues. Maybe say "I WILL NOT be placing any urban micros." That's pretty much my philosophy, mostly because I just don't really enjoy hunting them, and they tend to have the issues you see. I have 2 hide, one is underwater off a dock, and the other is out in the woods a good distance from anything. Guess how many muggle issues I plan on having with these? A lot fewer than a film canister at an intersection or in a Walmart parking lot. So before saying you aren't going to hide anything, try to get creative and find some place away from people to hide something.

edit to add:

My Tabby is a brown tabby but I still think she's gray, 'cept her tummy. It's light brown.

I really am not sure why your so upset about things????

Cache/hides go missing all the time. IT IS THE NATURE of this SPORT that causes it.

Why do I say that... Well lets take a look at all the reasons a cache/hide can go missing.

1. Muggles can steal it. Maybe a finder didn't hide it back very well, maybe a muggle saw them. It could even be possible that a muggle saw the CO hide it in the first place. Some cache/hides are worth stealing. Some are not.

In regards to this.... I have a few of my cache hides actually chained up with lock and key. It doesn't prevent them from being stolen. But it does act as a deterant. In life, you have to remember NOTHING is ever steal proof. No theft detterant system is perfect.

2. It is possible, depending on the cache/hide. That maintanance workers, or other employees by the land owner could have found it and discarded it, not knowing what it was. Especailly if we are talking about lamp post caches. Some cache/hides at Texas State Parks have gone missing becauses muggles and park employees found them & not knowing what they were, turned them into the Park HQ.

3. Natural Disasters/events etc... Cause cache/hides to go missing. I am sure after huricane katrina came & went that a few THOUSAND or more cache/hides went missing!

4. There are some cache hunters that for whatever crazy dumb reason, move a cache. Usually to what they think are the correct coordinates, or to what they beleive is a better hiding spot. They shouldn't do this, but it happens sometimes.

5. Animals. Animals have been known to destroy some cache/hides and make them go missing.

Now at the time of this posting I only have 33 fines and 6 cache hides placed. I know I am not as "Experianced" at this as some others are. But even I am smart enough and logical enough to realize that when you place something out in the world, that there is a good chance it could go missing. Placing a cache/hide is like gambling. If you don't like to gamble, if you aren't willing to risk LOOSING your cache/hide for whatever reason. Then I agree, but all means... DON'T place a hide!

For the most part. Most geocachers want to do the right thing & play in the right spirit of the sport.

But good luck to you in your future endevors with geocaching.

TGC

I haven't been doing this THAT long but it seems like there's a lot of butthurt people walking around with GPSrs.

PS - my doggy is black and white.

You can't leave us hanging like that. What kind of dog? And most importantly, are you going to BBQ it?

I haven't been doing this THAT long but it seems like there's a lot of butthurt people walking around with GPSrs.

You can't leave us hanging like that. What kind of dog? And most importantly, are you going to BBQ it?

Springer Spaniel. You know, she's three months old so that would be some prime puppy eatin' right there but I subscribe to the old adage, give a man a puppy and he eats for a day, teach that puppy to hunt cats and he eats until the neighborhood runs out of cats.

Or place it in a cache?

...Replying to Why I WILL NOT be placing caches...

After reading your post 3 times I still wasn't sure if you were the finder or the owner.

I can tell the LPC owner maintaining their equipment is perfectly legit, and since the cache is presumed to have permission finding it when the owner is there is a non issue. If it turns out to be an issue ,what a prime opportunity to sell the owner on caching as a wonderful family activity. which is what happened.

So this, a non issue, created a lot of angst?

I'm going to predict that not only will the OP stop hiding caches, but they will stop posting in the forums as well. :D

I own a few high exposure urban caches, and on occasion enjoy looking for the same. If you aren't prepared for your cache to go MIA on occasion, then hiding these isn't for you.

I'm going to predict that not only will the OP stop hiding caches, but they will stop posting in the forums as well. :D

I own a few high exposure urban caches, and on occasion enjoy looking for the same. If you aren't prepared for your cache to go MIA on occasion, then hiding these isn't for you.

I will add to your prediction that "I am sorely disappointed in yer approach to my cache" will become famous in these parts.

I once had a cat named Hershey, and of course she was a beautiful choclate color, like a Lab. Each of her siblings was all black, she was the brown sheep of the family.

To the OP, sorry about your bad experience. You're probably right, if cache ownership enrages you, it's best to stick to finding them. Hopefully no cache owner will chastise you for doing that wrong.

I really am not sure why your so upset about things????

Cache/hides go missing all the time. IT IS THE NATURE of this SPORT that causes it.

Why do I say that... Well lets take a look at all the reasons a cache/hide can go missing.

Stercus accidit

Indeed :D

As a brand-new Cacher, I really enjoyed the LPC that the kids and I found. It was a brilliant success as we had attempted to find more difficult Caches earlier in the day and weren't successful because of our newness to the game, and my unfamiliarity with the GPS I was using.

For those who are continuing to hide LPC's....Please keep doing so. I like an easy find in my hectic busy life, and the kids love the adventure.

Also, an apology. I know now that my kids and I should have been more stealthy when finding our LPC, but it was our first and we were excited. Please forgive us for our Geocaching infancy and know that as we find, we are learning more specifically about Caching appropriate behaviour.

BudgieByrd and crew :P