FTFs. What's the big deal?

WoodlandAlliance

-snip-

You see, the Piranhas are also some of the most prolific cache owners in the area and as often as not, the new hides were established by one of 'em.

Pete

I think you hit on a key point with that statement. Around here our FTF hounds have found darn near everything and have to leave the area or state to cache. So when something new hits the site it's like ooooh fresh meat and they pounce on it. That's part of it anyway :wub:

A lot of cachers around here are alerted by iPhone, Crackberry, and zoom over in their mobile command centers using 2 and 3 GPSrs, laptops, netbooks, periscopes, satellite dishes, guardian angels, unmanned drones, and a SWAT team to get the job done. It feels good to swoop in quietly, sign that fresh log, put it back where it belongs and get outta there before anyone even knows I was there.

:wub: Now that's funny! ;)

I don't understand why everybody tries so hard to be the first one to experience looking for the cache.

It can be fun, especially if a cache is extremely difficult and has lain unfound for some time.

However, those caches only account for a tiny fraction of the whole FTF race. My explanation is that there are certain people who need to turn everything in life into a competition. They have to continually prove again and again that they are as good or better than everyone else. You can often identify such people by the FTF logs they leave, e.g.

:wub:;):P FTF!!! :)B):D I ran out as soon as I was notified by text message! I left a LOSER geocoin for the second to find (first-place loser)!!

Personally, I enjoy trying to be FTF. It's a great way to possibly get to meet new cachers. There are about 8 cachers in my area that have the bug as well. That's what makes it fun. Knowing that you are in a race to get to the cache first. There were three posted a few nights ago that I ran into a good friend of mine whille on FTF run. Unfortionatly, he beat me to the first two by just a few minutes. We left together and I followed him to the last one. When we pulled up to Cotton Pickin' Cache , there were two other cachers already at GZ scurrying around trying to find it. It turned out to be a mini event at a cache. After we found it, we stood around and talked for about 15 minutes. Thanks - CachinSpree

Edited by CachinSpree

Easy. If you are FTF it is obviously because you are a much better cacher than everyone else!

:D:drama::mad:

I can't say that enough.

:mad::mad::mad:

It's also for bragging rights, especially for a tough mystery cache.

Bragging is just plain wrong, but... You see that crap for a LPC. Wow! You had better circumstances than me. You are obviously a greater cacher than I! :D

-----

Being FTF is fine if you want to challenge yourself. But what the heck? Why write FTF in the physical log or online. Just write the time. You made your goal. Why post smileys over and over? ( :D:D:D:):):) ) Asinine. Why brag about it? Circumstantial! Rarely is it a hard mystery or physical challenge. Get over yourself! FTF is the same as 32nd to find. Challenge yourself, cool. Just keep it to yourself.

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

Condescending much? Is it necessary to be that disrespectful just because others play the game a little differently than you?

Knight seems to have some big problem with FTFs I have seen this from him since I have been a member, I like FTFs and I do do the Extra Smileys when I log it so what, I went to the extra effort to get to before the masses. I don't do Sudoku Puzzles, but I don't criticize the people that do it's their thing more power to em.

Whatever floats your boat I say.

SS

I got my first two first to finds this week. Beyond having your pick of the initial swag, there's no big difference between FTF and a regular find. The slight difference is knowing that nobody else has found that cache, but really, the moment of pride is only seconds longer than 238th to find. It's fleeting. You still want to go find another cache.

I'll tell you, FTF's to me are a blast.. and I've never had one. I don't go out of my way to try and get it, either. That's just too difficult with the kids, work, etc. But I did get a STF once and it was glorious!

And Knight, take a breath. :laughing: We all play by the same rules, but some add more to their experience with the FTF game.

I'll tell you, FTF's to me are a blast.. and I've never had one. I don't go out of my way to try and get it, either. That's just too difficult with the kids, work, etc. But I did get a STF once and it was glorious!

And Knight, take a breath. :laughing: We all play by the same rules, but some add more to their experience with the FTF game.

Oh, I don't think Knight needs to take a breath. There are tons of people who feel the same way. They just don't normally hang around in this getting started forum. I don't think very many FTF people realize that only a small percentage of only the most currently active Geocachers involve themselves in the FTF game. Not that it bothers me, y'all can do whatever you want. ;)

Bragging is just plain wrong, but... You see that crap for a LPC. Wow! You had better circumstances than me. You are obviously a greater cacher than I! :blink:

-----

Being FTF is fine if you want to challenge yourself. But what the heck? Why write FTF in the physical log or online. Just write the time. You made your goal. Why post smileys over and over? ( :):):):D:DB) ) Asinine. Why brag about it? Circumstantial! Rarely is it a hard mystery or physical challenge. Get over yourself! FTF is the same as 32nd to find. Challenge yourself, cool. Just keep it to yourself.

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

Knight2000,

I think it is funny how you go on and on about it being wrong to Post multiple smiles on a FTF online log bragging about the find, kinda hypocritical on your part seeing how you posted your FTF on this cache that very way "Camping Anyone" GC1QECA :huh::)

In fact you used 9 Smileys the Whoo hoo thing I don't think you left anything outta that one.

SS

Edited by Scubasonic

Honestly, I don't care about FTFs, sure they're nice but, it's all the same to me.

The only time I ever cared about a FTF was when the CO put $10 in it as a FTF prize. I rushed over there... and STF! :P

I log all my FTF the same way, just for consistency. I don't care if its a lamp post or I have to climb a tree, I log all of my FTFs the same:

:ph34r::o;) FTF 10:25 AM :D:D:)

other text about the cache down here

i dont go mad to be the ftf but by finding it first in my opinon is:

the area isnt trappled down

the box contains what it should be

and the logs wont have anything to give it away.

Apart from that i treat it as another cache, ok there is a bit of excitement knowing others will try and get there before you, but then you could be like that with other caches (first to get there for that day etc).

Getting a FTF is like:

Walking through a field of snow before anyone else.

Winning a race that could start at any time.

Seeing the cache as the CO wanted you to see it.

Being a beta tester.

Being the first person in line to buy or see that special something.

Not having any geo-track to help you out.

Getting to a cache before it's archived. (So far this has happened 3 times with in days of being posted)

A chance of having a mini event at GZ.

Doing something that no one else has done.

Being put to the test on how good you really are.

Having first chance to trade for some real cool items.

Getting something special if there is a FTF prize. (This is always a nice bonus no matter what it is.)

Adding one more level to already a fun game.

I have more I could add, but I hope that you get the idea. In geocaching there is no winning. but with a FTF there is.

Tobias

Ya forgot........ First Man on the Moon

Its fun to be first sometimes......

Honestly, I don't care about FTFs, sure they're nice but, it's all the same to me.

The only time I ever cared about a FTF was when the CO put $10 in it as a FTF prize. I rushed over there... and STF! :mad:

I log all my FTF the same way, just for consistency. I don't care if its a lamp post or I have to climb a tree, I log all of my FTFs the same:

:mad::mad::mad: FTF 10:25 AM :mad::D:(

other text about the cache down here

Yep me to I log mine all the same:

WHOO HOO FTF!! FTF!! :mad::mad: *other text here* and don't let him convince you otherwise "Knight2000" does the same thing.

ScubaSonic

Edited by Scubasonic

Oh boy - you don't believe how important is to some cachers. Some are even using loop holes to get FBA.

Roughly 12% of my finds have been FTF's. Whatever the reason, be it the competition, the chance to see the cache as the hider intended, mini-events, etc., it's just plain fun.

FBA? What's that mean? And could you describe these 'loop holes'?

I, personally, have a pocket query which has as the only checked box 'Which have not been found'. The 'Preview this query' link resides in my links bar on all three computers. Before I head out to work or what have you, I click it and see if anything has popped up lately and is on my way. Do I rush right out? Rarely.

... FTF is the one and only time you as a finder know you have found the cache exacly as the owner set it out. After that it's subject to being moved, the camo misplaced, the contents changed from the them etc. Sure after 100 finds it can still be the same experience, but the chances lower with each find.

This is one of the few reasons that I can think of to care about being the first to find a cache. It can also be a little more challenging because there won't be a "geo-trail" leading right to the cache, and there is always at least a little uncertainty about the accuracy of the cache owner's coordinates.

The best thing about going for a first to find is that you are more likely to meet other cachers while searching. Of course after a while, it will tend to always be the same few people every time.

A couple of weeks ago I had planned a cache maintenance trip and it so happened that near my cache, 3 new caches were released the night before, after I fixed up my cache, I decided to search for the new caches, I found a nice clean log sheet on the 2 of the 3 that I found, but didn't even bother to mention first to find. It just doesn't matter to me.

More power to those who care. Enjoy yourselves.

It's a goal, a mission, a passion or a challenge for some people. This hobby is many different things to different people.

If I'm at home not really doing anything and a new cache gets posted only 3 miles away? You're dadgum right I'm gonna drop everything and get it!!!

There are a lot of FTF hounds out there. I'm just happy to get there before they do! Neener Neener Neener!

Of the 6 FTF's I've found:

-One was within 5 miles of my house and I went out specifically trying to be FTF

- One I happened to be having lunch in Baton Rouge (about 30 miles from home) when a new cache was published a few blocks away, so I went for it

-The other 4 had all already been out for several days to over a week with no finds yet, and I just happened to be the first to come across them. Just dumb luck.

I am set up to receive notifications within 35 miles of home but I'm not going to drop what I'm doing and drive that distance just for a FTF. The area I live is pretty cache-poor so new ones don't get published very often much closer than that.

I have a question, is there a way to set up an alert for your local area so you know if new hides are put approved?

Thank you! :anitongue:

haha wow, you dug up a 2 1/2 year old thread to ask a question that has nothing to do with the topic :)

(just thought I'd point that out)

edit: ok it does sort of - you're asking about publish notifications so you have a better chance of grabbing the FTF. See end of the comment

It is a nice discussion topic though, but prime for continued debate... I read the first page before realizing I was reading 2009.

That said, Tobias - 1st page response - hit the nail on the head.

In my area there are a few "ftf hounds", and we tend to remember who has the best chances of getting them in what areas of the city, closest to where they live. The FTF race does also have its social aspects :) having that little 'geochat' at gz when the hounds all show up at the same time for the win is a wonderful experience.

ETA: Yes, you can set up notifications if you're a premium member. If you have a mobile phone with email, you can set up your primary account contact email to forward/copy emails to your phone. For me, Rogers provides an SMS txt message alert when I receive new email to my phone, so as soon as a publish notification email is sent out, I get the alert on my phone. Then I check my email and get the info.

AFAIK Groundspeak doesn't have an immediate push alert for notifications, outside of sending emails.

Edited by thebruce0

I have a question, is there a way to set up an alert for your local area so you know if new hides are put approved?

Thank you! :anitongue:

Help Center → Premium Membership → Benefits → Instant Notifications - Chasing First to Finds:

1.8. Instant Notifications - Chasing First to Finds

http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=184

Dreaming of being the first to find a geocache?

If so, the instant notification feature may be helpful to you!

http://www.geocaching.com/notify/

This site feature allows you to create custom notifications to send to any email address you choose - even your email-enabled mobile phone. You will be alerted immediately when a new cache is published in your area. We can't promise that you will be first to find (some people just don't sleep) but it will make chasing the goal easier.

Edited by Pup Patrol