FTFs. What's the big deal?

WoodlandAlliance

Likewise, I don't understand why you can't figure out how being the FTF might be fun for some people. It's not a big deal for me either, but once I sat down and thought about it for about five seconds, I was able to wrap my head around the idea.

I'm sure if I can do it, you can too.

Getting a FTF is like:

Walking through a field of snow before anyone else.

Winning a race that could start at any time.

Seeing the cache as the CO wanted you to see it.

Being a beta tester.

Being the first person in line to buy or see that special something.

Not having any geo-track to help you out.

Getting to a cache before it's archived. (So far this has happened 3 times with in days of being posted)

A chance of having a mini event at GZ.

Doing something that no one else has done.

Being put to the test on how good you really are.

Having first chance to trade for some real cool items.

Getting something special if there is a FTF prize. (This is always a nice bonus no matter what it is.)

Adding one more level to already a fun game.

I have more I could add, but I hope that you get the idea. In geocaching there is no winning. but with a FTF there is.

Tobias

I found a cache first once. So what? It's the exact same experience if you find it the first time, the second time or the 100th time. I don't understand why everybody tries so hard to be the first one to experience looking for the cache.

Many people don't understand what's the big deal about finding tupperware using GPS so that they can sign something on a piece of paper.

Some people find it fun. Others don't. What's the big deal?

Edit : not everybody tries so hard to be the FTF. In fact, the vast majority don't. I don't - I'm not motivated enough.

Edited by Chrysalides

Tobias pretty much nailed it, anecdotally. First, it's a rush to be in a race, to have the uncertainty of whether or not you actually will be first until you open the logbook and find out. Second, there's the element of trailblazing; the cache might not have good coords, or suffer from any other of the myriad problems a cache could have, but you'll never know in advance going for an FTF because you've had no logs to warn you. Third, you're the only one getting the exact experience the CO had in mind when hiding the cache.

Of course, if none of that appeals to you -- and for many, this is the case -- then you're free to wait out the FTF hounds and find the cache at your own pace. That's what's great about the game; once you figure out what you like, you've got lots of leeway to tailor your playing style to your own preferences.

You bet. S&W M&P 9MM.

With a CCW permit.

Likewise, I don't understand why you can't figure out how being the FTF might be fun for some people. It's not a big deal for me either, but once I sat down and thought about it for about five seconds, I was able to wrap my head around the idea.

I'm sure if I can do it, you can too.

Well the FTF race in G.P is ushually a pritty hard one. This one cache got released near cobblestone and we had 3 different geo teams looking for it at one time. We finnaly found it and bcb had already got there! The main part of FTFs is just bragging how many you have.

Easy. If you are FTF it is obviously because you are a much better cacher than everyone else!

:D;):ph34r:

I can't say that enough.

:cool::):laughing:

It's also for bragging rights, especially for a tough mystery cache.

Bragging is just plain wrong, but... You see that crap for a LPC. Wow! You had better circumstances than me. You are obviously a greater cacher than I! :laughing:

-----

Being FTF is fine if you want to challenge yourself. But what the heck? Why write FTF in the physical log or online. Just write the time. You made your goal. Why post smileys over and over? ( :drama:B):D:DB):D ) Asinine. Why brag about it? Circumstantial! Rarely is it a hard mystery or physical challenge. Get over yourself! FTF is the same as 32nd to find. Challenge yourself, cool. Just keep it to yourself.

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

I have been FTF plenty of times. Sign the log book in the back with time, small. Then some other cacher comes along and doesnt see my log. Does a happy dance and brags. I once told a cacher and they wanted that FTF so bad they ignored it and claimed FTF even though they saw me leaving the cache area. My log even said what I left. (Who else leaves $2 bills folded like a shirt?)

I found a cache first once. So what? It's the exact same experience if you find it the first time, the second time or the 100th time. I don't understand why everybody tries so hard to be the first one to experience looking for the cache.

I don't understand the appeal either. But I also won't EVER wear plaid or shave with an electric. Different strokes ....

That's the nice thing about geocaching - you can make it whatever you want. Whatever melts your butter :D

It can be fun. Its like a competion with yourself and many a few local cachers in the area. I just got a STF and I love the rush. Got the notice rushed to location. Its was a fun 30 min distraction (it was close)

Do I think they are a big deal? No not really if its not your thing. I don't really care if I am first when I go out on a new cache find. I like thinking i could be first. i have been caching for three weeks ad have had three new caches I have tired to be first. I was third then first then second. It just find to try.

Oh one more thing. each time i have attempted to be first I have ether seen or met other geocachers It was fun.

Edited by blueberryice

I don't mind the FTF race. It can be fun as long as you don't wreck on the way there. That's been done plenty. Just don't brag about it. Do you ever write in a log that you were the 101st to sign the log. Then online write 101tofind. Then why would you write FTF?

I write in the log that I'm the first to DNF (when it happens). Sadly, it's happened more than a few times.

If they are close, I like to hide in the shadows after a FTF and scare the bejebious out of 2nd to finders.

Just kidding, bejebious is not a word.

HA! That's great!

I'm new to the game, but I can see how there is some fun in being FTF. I see a lot of cache's that list the FTF in the description. You kinda get immortalized with the cache.

If the timings good and there one is nearby, I might try, but it's not my priority (yet).

If the timings good and there one is nearby, I might try, but it's not my priority (yet).

Just wait for them at night. I have found that most people wait until early morning. If I am up and I care enough to foil someone elses :D x42 then I go, just so I don't have to see FTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just don't get too worked up and get in a car accident. Seriously.

Getting a FTF is like:

Being a beta tester.

Getting to a cache before it's archived. (So far this has happened 3 times with in days of being posted)

Getting something special if there is a FTF prize. (This is always a nice bonus no matter what it is.)

I have more I could add, but I hope that you get the idea. In geocaching there is no winning. but with a FTF there is.

Tobias

Well jeez. Until I read this I couldn't care less about FTF. Now I do. Thanks a lot. :D

Easy. If you are FTF it is obviously because you are a much better cacher than everyone else!

:D:(:)

I can't say that enough.

<_<:blink::blink:

It's also for bragging rights, especially for a tough mystery cache.

Bragging is just plain wrong, but... You see that crap for a LPC. Wow! You had better circumstances than me. You are obviously a greater cacher than I! :blink:

-----

Being FTF is fine if you want to challenge yourself. But what the heck? Why write FTF in the physical log or online. Just write the time. You made your goal. Why post smileys over and over? ( :blink::(:(:P:P:) ) Asinine. Why brag about it? Circumstantial! Rarely is it a hard mystery or physical challenge. Get over yourself! FTF is the same as 32nd to find. Challenge yourself, cool. Just keep it to yourself.

Don't pull a muscle patting yourself on the back.

Condescending much? Is it necessary to be that disrespectful just because others play the game a little differently than you?

Getting a FTF is like:

Being a beta tester.

Tobias

These are the big ones for me. That sudden adrenalin thrill is awesome. Sure, it's great to plan a caching trip and go find some cool caches, but it doesn't have anything near the sheer impetus of a FTF race. And in busier caching grounds, you're probably going to run into some friends near GZ.

Condescending much? Is it necessary to be that disrespectful just because others play the game a little differently than you?

I am not talking about being disrespectful. If you want to boast and brag go do it in front of your mirror at home. Tell yourself how great you are because you made it to that lamp post first.

I am not saying racing to get FTF is stupid. It's fine. It can be fun. Try it. That's cool. But do you need to brag about it? Why not post 12 smileys on every find?

I was 14th to find but 12th to log!!! :D:(:) 14th!!!! <_<:blink::blink:

No bragging about being 14th so why boast about being 1st? It's nothing more than a fact. And yeah, I do run out for an occasional FTF. I don't try for them all though.

I am not talking about being disrespectful. If you want to boast and brag go do it in front of your mirror at home. Tell yourself how great you are because you made it to that lamp post first.

I am not saying racing to get FTF is stupid. It's fine. It can be fun. Try it. That's cool. But do you need to brag about it? Why not post 12 smileys on every find?

Because not every cache has the same significance to the finder. If we want to be proud of reaching that lamp post first we're well within our rights to do so.

Because not every cache has the same significance to the finder. If we want to be proud of reaching that lamp post first we're well within our rights to do so.

Sure. If it makes you feel proud that's cool. Some of us would rather cachers check the egos at the door. I need to hand out some more FTF bozo buttons that I have left in my caches.

Edited by Knight2000

Well said Tobias. Just one more point though. Around here it can be pretty near impossible to snag an FTF due to the large, highly motivated, well armed, cadre of FTF Hounds residing in this area. To claim an FTF around here by us lesser motivated, more normal seeming individuals (I said normal seeming) is a moral victory (and mostly by happenstance).

If I read a FTF log post with 12 smilelys, I wouldn't think it was bragging. I would just think the finder was happy and excited. Why not? It's a GAME people, can't someone be excited that they were the very first person among possible hundreds that will visit that cache? :D I don't even understand why this is a controversy?

If you get it first then you can get a good prize sometimes. like the one cache, if you got it first you got a dollar. some may say, "so waht?" but hey it's a dollar you didn't have before. like a little reward ^^ and being the first woudl be amazing cuz that means you were good enough and fast enough to find it first!

Getting a FTF is like:

Being a beta tester.

Bravo! :D

74 FTFs and counting...

It's almost as much fun as finding an archived cache. :(

For you, it is no big deal.

That said one thing you are potentially wrong about. FTF is the one and only time you as a finder know you have found the cache exacly as the owner set it out. After that it's subject to being moved, the camo misplaced, the contents changed from the them etc. Sure after 100 finds it can still be the same experience, but the chances lower with each find.

I have been FTF plenty of times. Sign the log book in the back with time, small. Then some other cacher comes along and doesnt see my log. Does a happy dance and brags. I once told a cacher and they wanted that FTF so bad they ignored it and claimed FTF even though they saw me leaving the cache area. My log even said what I left. (Who else leaves $2 bills folded like a shirt?)

You do seem to have a hang up about FTFrs. Why else would you go through so much trouble to burst someone's bubble. :D Sure, I enjoy when I'm FTF but I do not make a race over it. Some do and that's OK too. Different folks enjoy different variations to the game/hobby/sport/past-time or whatever this is. Some enjoy puzzles, some enjoy traditionals, some enjoy the woods, and some even prefer urbocaches. So we should not blink an eye if some prefer FTFs. Why can't we all just get along. :( Now let's all hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah. :)

FTF - Meh.

Been there, done that a few times. I really haven't noticed much of a difference between being the first or the last. Trade items, I don't care. Freshly fallen snow - every week five months out of the year. The cache might not even be where the owner placed it. So how would I know.

If you want to be FTF, have at it. I'll just mosey along and enjoy the trip. That's the first reason why I'm caching.

Why can't we all just get along. :D Now let's all hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah. :(

Kum ba yah, O cache, Kum ba yah!

Kum ba yah, O cache, Kum ba yah.

O cache, Kum ba yah

Someone's crying, cache, Kum ba yah!

O cache, Kum ba yah

Someone's singing, cache, Kum ba yah!

O cache, Kum ba yah

Someone's praying, cache, Kum ba yah!

O cache, Kum ba yah

Edited by bittsen

Why can't we all just get along. :( Now let's all hold hands and sing Kum Ba Yah. :)

Kum ba yah, O cache, Kum ba yah.

O cache, Kum ba yah

O cache, Kum ba yah

O cache, Kum ba yah

O cache, Kum ba yah

That just brings a tear to my eye. :D

You do seem to have a hang up about FTFrs.

No, just certain logs. My wife and I like going out for new caches in the middle of the night. It's even better if we're without kids. :D665_grinning_devil.gif I just get sick of seeing the logs making a big deal that they were FTF like they could walk on water or something.

We do usually cache like BD said. Slow. We enjoy the adventure.

...Kum ba yah, O cache, Kum ba yah! ... :(

You do seem to have a hang up about FTFrs.

No, just certain logs. My wife and I like going out for new caches in the middle of the night. It's even better if we're without kids. :D665_grinning_devil.gif I just get sick of seeing the logs making a big deal that they were FTF like they could walk on water or something.

We do usually cache like BD said. Slow. We enjoy the adventure.

...Kum ba yah, O cache, Kum ba yah! ... :(

I see your point. Anything can be done to the extreme. Did anybody bring s"mores? Goes good with camp fire singing.

I think it's all pretty entertaining. It's funny to see what lengths some will go to to claim a ftf. These logs are really comical

"WOOHOO FTF! We almost had to log a DNF on this one until someone spotted the hook. Some sort of critter must have made off with the original bison tube. Fresh one signed and replaced.

Well after a nice atv ride into this valley we spent some time looking for this bison tube, we were worried we were going to dnf when little gg found the hook it was supposed to be, we replaced the bison tube. Thanks for the cache and the fun ftf

:P

If I read a FTF log post with 12 smilelys, I wouldn't think it was bragging. I would just think the finder was happy and excited. Why not? It's a GAME people, can't someone be excited that they were the very first person among possible hundreds that will visit that cache? :blink: I don't even understand why this is a controversy?

Agreement here.

We rarely chase a FTF - We'll go for one if ( a ) it's really close to home and ( b ) we're not doing anything more important and ( c ) it's not chucking it down outside! :D

This was our last FTF log, I think it says it all really:

The Blorenges found Over and Under (Traditional Cache)

"It's not often that we go for a FTF but when the opportunity pops up just 10 minutes walk from your home... well, it would be rude not to, wouldn't it? Saw notification email about 07:25hr, said to MrB (who was busy on his laptop ), "I'm just going out for my walk", and headed off. 07:40hr cache in hand. I feel almost guilty that it was so easy. Continued my circular walk for extra exercise, then back home, brew tea and write log. Thanks for this one. OK, that's our FTF excitement over with for this year... (MrsB)"

The time factor creates an added element of excitement. Then when you do find the cache, you wonder "Am I the first? Will I see a clean log?"

Once I got my first FTF (and a bad case of poison ivy in my hasty search) it wasn't such a big deal.

There was also the time I about killed myself racing through a five-part multi only to find the coordinates for the final were way off. Very frustrating.

I decided I liked the relaxed, no-hurry approach better.

I am fairly new (only about 60 finds) but one night I saw a new listing so I went out and got the FTF. The next day I saw another new listing but since I already scored FTF the night before, I took my time, ate breafast, read the paper, watched some TV and then went out. I was still the FTF (actually the first cacher to find it, the story is in the log.) Next day went after a new one at noon. Another guy was there looking so I joined the hunt. I spotted it and he let me sign first. I still believe since we were both there, we both got the FTF. Haven't gone for once since. I figure I got 3 and that's enough for a bit.

For me it is a competition with some other cachers in Manitowoc. It is all fun and we do give and get ribbed. If it was not for that it would be neat but not worth going out as soon as I get the new listing. Are there a lot of caches by you?

Thanks

Edited by The Yinnie's

We are soon going to put out our first couple of caches and I've read a couple of caches that had a FTF Certificate. Anyone know if there's somewhere where they`re set already or is this something the cache placers created for their cache? Thanks for the help! :)

Well said Tobias. Just one more point though. Around here it can be pretty near impossible to snag an FTF due to the large, highly motivated, well armed, cadre of FTF Hounds residing in this area. To claim an FTF around here by us lesser motivated, more normal seeming individuals (I said normal seeming) is a moral victory (and mostly by happenstance).

That's pretty much the same situation where I live. A new cache rarely sits unfound for more than 15 minutes to a half hour. I don't get a lot of new caches in my city as the hot spots are down by my mom's house about 15 miles away so there's rarely a chance for me to go on an FTF run. But if there is something new posted within 5 miles of my house and I'm able to make a run for it, I will certainly try.

For me, the thrill is two-fold:

1. It's nice to find a cache hidden where the CO intended to hide it and not where the 2nd, 3rd, or 50th finder THINKS it should be hidden.

2. It's a great feeling when I pull up to the location and make a quick FTF grab using only my little car, my cheapo GPS, and Yahoo email to alert me that a new cache was posted. A lot of cachers around here are alerted by iPhone, Crackberry, and zoom over in their mobile command centers using 2 and 3 GPSrs, laptops, netbooks, periscopes, satellite dishes, guardian angels, unmanned drones, and a SWAT team to get the job done. It feels good to swoop in quietly, sign that fresh log, put it back where it belongs and get outta there before anyone even knows I was there.

We are soon going to put out our first couple of caches and I've read a couple of caches that had a FTF Certificate. Anyone know if there's somewhere where they`re set already or is this something the cache placers created for their cache? Thanks for the help! :)

Some cachers create FTF certificates by hand and others just print off copies from the internet. To see one site that has some you can print you can CLICK HERE! I found this one very quickly by going to Yahoo and searching for "FTF certificates". I'm sure there are probably lots of other sites too, but this will give you an option or two. Hopefully this answers your question. Happy caching!!!! :)

Around here there's a group of cachers who are fondly known as Piranhas. They'll leave the dinner table or go out in the middle of the night for a FTF "feeding frenzy." There is a sense of competition among them, but it's mostly about an excuse to get together at the site of a new cache and socialize for awhile. They also call it a FTF party.

I have one FTF in over 600 finds and it was a surprise because I found it almost 18 hours after it was published. I even cached my way to it because the thought that I still might be FTF after all that time never even crossed my mind. But it was on Balboa Island which is only accessible by one bridge or a ferry and weekend traffic & parking on the island is a legendary problem which apparently gave the Piranhas pause. I, on the other hand, typically cache on my bicycle. :cool:

Anyway, I got a FTF out of the deal which was a pleasant surprise, but not anything I really tried for. I'm actually more interested in showing up for some of the FTF parties so I can meet and thank some of the people who contribute to the game so much around here. You see, the Piranhas are also some of the most prolific cache owners in the area and as often as not, the new hides were established by one of 'em.

Pete