microsoft vista 64 bit with palm m500

I just replaced my old PC with windows XP with one running Vista 64 bit. The new PC doesn't have a serial port so I bought a Palm M500 to use for my paperless caching.

I can't hotsync the palm and I just learned that Vista 64 does not support the Palm O/S.

Someone suggested that instead of hotsyncing, I load the GSAK file to an SD memory card. I did that but I can't figure out how to load Cachemate to the Palm without hotsyncing.

Has anyone figured out how I can accomplish using the Palm with my new computer. I sure could use some help.

Thanks

For a suggestion see this post. And the smittyware documentation.

Jim

I tried using the SD card and I downloaded cachemate to the card as you suggested. However, when i try to use cachemate, it says it is an unregistered version and I can only display 10 caches. I got two different registration codes from cachemate but i keep getting an invalid code message. Cachemate's Brian Smith, said that it will not work.

Now I need to know if there is another program that I can load on my Palm M500 that works with GSAK and does the same task as cachemate.

For a suggestion see this post. And the smittyware documentation.

Jim

I tried using the SD card and I downloaded cachemate to the card as you suggested. However, when i try to use cachemate, it says it is an unregistered version and I can only display 10 caches. I got two different registration codes from cachemate but i keep getting an invalid code message. Cachemate's Brian Smith, said that it will not work.

Now I need to know if there is another program that I can load on my Palm M500 that works with GSAK and does the same task as cachemate.

Did you move the cachemate program to the hand held or leave it on the SD card? You can copy it to the hand held with the copy command. It should register once it is on the hand held. I did mention moving the program to the hand held in my post.

Jim

.Did you move the cachemate program to the hand held or leave it on the SD card? You can copy it to the hand held with the copy command. It should register once it is on the hand held. I did mention moving the program to the hand held in my post.

Jim

Thanks for getting back to me again. I tried copied cachemate from the card to the handheld but I still can't register cachemate.

Edited by spikerek

.Did you move the cachemate program to the hand held or leave it on the SD card? You can copy it to the hand held with the copy command. It should register once it is on the hand held. I did mention moving the program to the hand held in my post.

Jim

Thanks for getting back to me again. I tried copied cachemate from the card to the handheld but I still can't register cachemate.

Does your handheld have a name? If it does not have a user name then it won't register. See my previous post. It has to be the same user name you used when you registered cachemate.

Jim

Edited by jholly

Jim

Does your handheld have a name? If it does not have a user name then it won't register. See my previous post. It has to be the same user name you used when you registered cachemate.

Jim

where is the username stored on the palm. The only place i found a username was in the network preferences and i changed that. Still had no luck registering.

thanks for your help Jim

where is the username stored on the palm. The only place i found a username was in the network preferences and i changed that. Still had no luck registering.

thanks for your help Jim

When you run the hotsync app on the PALM in the upper right should be the user name. If there is no name, or the name is wrong you then need to put Changename on the palm and change the name to what your user name is when you purchased cachemate. It looks like the userID is a random number greater than 255 but less than 65535. you can't change it with normal palm software, it takes the ChangeName app I mentioned in post #6.

Jim

Edited by jholly

When you run the hotsync app on the PALM in the upper right should be the user name. If there is no name, or the name is wrong you then need to put Changename on the palm and change the name to what your user name is when you purchased cachemate. It looks like the userID is a random number greater than 255 but less than 65535. you can't change it with normal palm software, it takes the ChangeName app I mentioned in post #6.

Jim

Jim, You are a Godsend. I did what you suggested and was finally able to register cachemate. I don't understand why Cachemate doesn't realize that they have a problem and put out the information themselves.

Thanks again.

Jim, You are a Godsend. I did what you suggested and was finally able to register cachemate. I don't understand why Cachemate doesn't realize that they have a problem and put out the information themselves.

Thanks again.

Glad it all worked out. I suspect two reasons for not putting out the information. One is the 64 bit OS has only become the default in the last year. A year ago you had to look for a 64 bit system. Now you have to look for a 32 bit system. Second is that the last update to cachemate is 2005 and Brian has moved on to smartphones.

Now if you ever need to get the cachemate, or other, files off the palm handheld and back on to the SD card then your going to need yet another utility, fileman. Unfortunately this one cost $10-12. Palm did not include a native way of copying files from the handheld to the sd card.

Jim