A&E Toys Geocoins

mommyx4

We have several coins from A&E that are probably almost a year old. We've activated them a little at a time. Today I tried to get another activation code from aetoys.com/geocoins.htm, went to the site, entered the #, and the entire site is closed down.

It looks like they went out of business. Does anyone know how we can get our 13 unactivated coins active? Or how to get in touch with A&E so they can help us out?

Thanks

The activation page loads but the retrieval page does not......

Not good.....

Groundspeak should have these codes as they were purchased from them.

That is what was happening when I tried to put the the tracking code in. How can I find them through Groundspeak?

I would recomment retrieving the activation code as soon as you get your trackable item

the current situation is one very good reasons to do this

a couple of others -

if you decide to sell the item, it is very nice to supply the code

(the buyer will probably think highly of you)

from time to time, a code gets retrieved by someone else

(usually by mistake - misreading a 6 for an 8, for example)

if they then activate the coin code in question, you have a bit of a mess to deal with

(this can be especially cumbersome if you later sell the trackable)

since most sites only allow the code to be retrieved once, you are better off getting it first

We have several coins from A&E that are probably almost a year old. We've activated them a little at a time. Today I tried to get another activation code from aetoys.com/geocoins.htm, went to the site, entered the #, and the entire site is closed down.

It looks like they went out of business. Does anyone know how we can get our 13 unactivated coins active? Or how to get in touch with A&E so they can help us out?

Thanks

Today I ran into the same problem. I've had a "Cache Bug" (Volkswagon Bug) geocoin for about a year. Went to get the code today and no dice. Any luck with a solution?

I sent an email to Groundspeak requesting the 3 codes I was missing. They got back to me within 24 hrs. with the activation codes!

I had to forward a geocoin buyer to Groundspeak too. :blink: When are they ever just going to post a clearing house of all the trackable coins... can't be that hard to database.

Does anyone have a list of coins made by A&E toys so that people don't purchase these coins on a secondary market (read E-Bay) and not be able to activate the coins?

If there is no other way to get the activation code, you can contact Groundspeak and they will get it for you. AE coins made some really good coins. If I saw one that I missed on ebay for a reasonable price, I wouldn't let lack of activation code stop me.

Does anyone know if Groundspeak will, or is even attempting to resolve this inability to get activation codes for A&E coins? A portion of what we paid for the coin is a tracking code, activation number and icon all owned and managed by Groundspeak. They own it. I emailed my list months ago (50 coins) to Groundspeak requesting activation codes and I have not heard a thing. I spoke to Oakcoins at GCF and they indicated they would be happy to host the codes!! This cannot be rocket science! <_<

Does anyone know if Groundspeak will, or is even attempting to resolve this inability to get activation codes for A&E coins? A portion of what we paid for the coin is a tracking code, activation number and icon all owned and managed by Groundspeak. They own it. I emailed my list months ago (50 coins) to Groundspeak requesting activation codes and I have not heard a thing. I spoke to Oakcoins at GCF and they indicated they would be happy to host the codes!! This cannot be rocket science! <_<

I'd email GS again. I had no problem getting mine from them. I didn't have 50 coins though.

I'd email GS again. I had no problem getting mine from them. I didn't have 50 coins though.

i emailed Groundspeak.com and Geocaching.com and was denied both times! i wonder why GS will provide the activation codes to some, but not to others? does it depend on who you know? or... :anibad: ?

i emailed Groundspeak.com and Geocaching.com and was denied both times! i wonder why GS will provide the activation codes to some, but not to others? does it depend on who you know? or... :anibad: ?

I don't know about that, but it seems that GS is going to have to do something about these vendors that just disappear. They can't make them come back, and they can't make them continue to host the codes, but the customer shouldn't be punished.

Edited by MustangJoni

I don't know about that, but it seems that GS is going to have to do something about these vendors that just disappear. They can't make them come back, and they can't make them continue to host the codes, but the customer shouldn't be punished.

The real point is A&E purchased codes "hosted" by GS and passed he cost on to us. GS still controls tracking and activation codes. Nobody else.

The real point is A&E purchased codes "hosted" by GS and passed he cost on to us. GS still controls tracking and activation codes. Nobody else.

I wonder if the issue is one of security. Do we know that GS keeps records of who they sold their codes to, of which codes they sold to whom? How are they to know if activation code requests for AEToys tracking numbers are honest requests or not? Sending in a list of 50 tracking numbers to pull activation codes is bound to raise red flags and maybe a little resentment that they are not a hosting site and don't want to start finding them for any and all who can't (or won't) find them on the net, through the forums or elsewhere. Maybe they just don't know how to handle this type of thing yet - what the policy ought to be (especially on a huge list of tracking numbers).

So far people have said GS has been helpful pulling codes for AEToys coins but at what point do they get tired of the demands that they provide a hosting service? I have my own resentments towards AEToys but it's not Groundspeak who is to blame.

Edited by Droo

Does anyone know if Groundspeak will, or is even attempting to resolve this inability to get activation codes for A&E coins? A portion of what we paid for the coin is a tracking code, activation number and icon all owned and managed by Groundspeak. They own it. I emailed my list months ago (50 coins) to Groundspeak requesting activation codes and I have not heard a thing. I spoke to Oakcoins at GCF and they indicated they would be happy to host the codes!! This cannot be rocket science! ;)

i emailed Groundspeak.com and Geocaching.com and was denied both times! i wonder why GS will provide the activation codes to some, but not to others? does it depend on who you know? or... :mad: ?

I wonder if the issue is one of security. Do we know that GS keeps records of who they sold their codes to, of which codes they sold to whom? How are they to know if activation code requests for AEToys tracking numbers are honest requests or not? Sending in a list of 50 tracking numbers to pull activation codes is bound to raise red flags and maybe a little resentment that they are not a hosting site and don't want to start finding them for any and all who can't (or won't) find them on the net, through the forums or elsewhere. Maybe they just don't know how to handle this type of thing yet - what the policy ought to be (especially on a huge list of tracking numbers).

So far people have said GS has been helpful pulling codes for AEToys coins but at what point do they get tired of the demands that they provide a hosting service? I have my own resentments towards AEToys but it's not Groundspeak who is to blame.

We agree to a point. Photo's of in hand coins however is not a problem. We did pay for their tracking system which is useless without their activation code. Security? You could go to any vendor at an event and activate all their coins you looked at. What would that do? You don't have the coin to show, hold, trade or sell. There must be a mechanism for these codes to be hosted elsewhere. That would solve the problem. It's a database, you buy a block of numbers for the mint, you get numbers and codes.

Back in the Old Days (i find myself saying this more often these days), the activation codes were attached to each coin, much like travel bugs still are. It was a PITA to attach 1000 codes to the NJ geocoins when we did them, but they all were shipped with the tracking numbers.

I would think it is possible for geocaching to host a code retrieval server, but in their defense, they do send the activation codes to the person/company that orders the codes.

The best way to alleviate this whole issue (because you never know which vendor/code hosting site will go belly-up) is to get the activation code not long after you purchase the coin.

If you sell the coin, pass along the code to the next person.

However most of us are lazy and don't think ahead ;) (including me but I don't care about icons or activating coins much these days).

If you're going to buy a coin on ebay, especially an older one or one done by a defunct vendor, you should probably send an email to the seller asking them if they have the activation code.

On a personal note, I think GS should have a hosting site as this immediately alleviates any future issues with vendors/coin makers/etc. going their separate ways and leaving coin owners in the dark.

If coincodes.com ever decides to shut-down for any reason, alot of people would be hosed if they didn't pull the activation codes (and I sure hope this never happens - Eric does a great job of getting codes up).

I would imagine if GS got involved in the hosting it would raise the price of tracking numbers which would suck but you'd be guarateed to always have access to getting the activation codes.

In the end it's those of us who purchase coins to take responsibility for our own actions. You buy a coin, take the time to get the activation code and keep it with the coin. Don't take for granted that a vendor/code hosting company is always going to be around because in the short 3 years I've been here, I've seen vendors come and go for various reasons, most of you should know by now that you should be forward thinking and proactive about your coin purchases no matter where you get your coin.

Buyer Beware... and on that note, I'm just as lazy as the next guy, I haven't followed the advice I just gave :mad: Do as I say, not as I do, hahahaha.

tsun :blink:

Edited by tsunrisebey

We agree to a point. Photo's of in hand coins however is not a problem. We did pay for their tracking system which is useless without their activation code. Security? You could go to any vendor at an event and activate all their coins you looked at. What would that do? You don't have the coin to show, hold, trade or sell. There must be a mechanism for these codes to be hosted elsewhere. That would solve the problem. It's a database, you buy a block of numbers for the mint, you get numbers and codes.

All I'm saying is go easy on GS. They sell numbers and codes to keep the tracking system running as smoothly as they can - 24/7/365. Lackeys don't work for FREE.

Yes, you paid for those activation codes but you paid AEToys to provide you that service. And they ran off without a forwarding address and flushed all the codes they had remaining. Keep it in perspective. It wasn't important when you bought your coins to pull the activation codes so why are you so fired up and blaming GS for not jumping fast enough at your demands now?

All I'm suggesting is maybe send them smaller lists of tracking numbers for them to pull. Be considerate and don't make your problem theirs.

Yes, I agree that a central databank for all activation codes would simplify buying and trading and collecting geocoins. But we aren't there yet and we all seem to expect Groundspeak to do it. That's a big change in their direction and they are not as small as they used to be.

Edited by Droo

All I'm saying is go easy on GS. They sell numbers and codes to keep the tracking system running as smoothly as they can - 24/7/365. Lackeys don't work for FREE.

Yes, you paid for those activation codes but you paid AEToys to provide you that service. And they ran off without a forwarding address and flushed all the codes they had remaining. Keep it in perspective. It wasn't important when you bought your coins to pull the activation codes so why are you so fired up and blaming GS for not jumping fast enough at your demands now?

All I'm suggesting is maybe send them smaller lists of tracking numbers for them to pull. Be considerate and don't make your problem theirs.

Yes, I agree that a central databank for all activation codes would simplify buying and trading and collecting geocoins. But we aren't there yet and we all seem to expect Groundspeak to do it. That's a big change in their direction and they are not as small as they used to be.

.......... :(

Groundspeak is working on a system to host the activation codes for the vendors that wish to have us do it. There are many vendors who ask that we not give out their activation codes under any circumstances.

The system is not ready yet and will likely be at least a few weeks. For now, please send your AEToys tracking codes to contact@Groundspeak.com and we'll get you the activation codes. Please feel free to reference my username in the email (like 'Bryan told us we could send these to you') and we'll work it out.

It is a bit of work to research these and it may take us some time to get it done, but we will get it done.

Note that we will only be supplying the codes for AE Toys codes, so, if you have a list of 50 random ones, you will need to wait for the tool because we can't really take the time to sort through a random list to try to figure out which ones we can and can't not give out.

Clipped...

Groundspeak is working on a system to host the activation codes for the vendors that wish to have us do it. There are many vendors who ask that we not give out their activation codes under any circumstances.

The system is not ready yet and will likely be at least a few weeks.

Great news and thank you, will this be a free service, small fee, or undecided? Either way, I'm happy to see this happening!

tsun

Edited by tsunrisebey

The system is not ready yet and will likely be at least a few weeks. For now, please send your AEToys tracking codes to contact@Groundspeak.com and we'll get you the activation codes. Please feel free to reference my username in the email (like 'Bryan told us we could send these to you') and we'll work it out.

It is a bit of work to research these and it may take us some time to get it done, but we will get it done.

Note that we will only be supplying the codes for AE Toys codes, so, if you have a list of 50 random ones, you will need to wait for the tool because we can't really take the time to sort through a random list to try to figure out which ones we can and can't not give out.

Thank you!! We just needed to resurrect this thread which has fallen off the radar and get it in front of the right eyes. This is very much appreciated. We can wait as long as it takes knowing there is light at the end of the tunnel

:(:):)

Great to hear that! :(

I applaud Groundspeak's effort at providing for a need by it's customer base - that's us coiners of course!

What about older coins whose coin makers have long ago abandoned their lists of activation codes, or never kept them after meticulously including each and every coin/coin flip with its own code? I wonder if they would be included?

;):):blink::o;):P

I also paid for three Dragonfly 2008 Coin in June 2008 and never got any of them.

Somehow disappointing that formerly good companies become unreliable thieves. I really have difficulties to understand that behaviour.

I don't know the exact story, so I'm not going to speculate. What I do know is that AE Toys had some problems going on behind the scenes. I had ordered the entire set of 08' dragonflies and after many months of waiting and many emails, I finally demanded a refund. I checked back in on AE Toys a short time later and they had folded. I did get my money back by the way. This is what happened with Geocacher Magazine. I received the first issue and that was it. That guy took everyone's money and vanished. I didn't get my money back that time.

You'll need to do KV Coins & CoinSwag too. Currently there is no way to get either since KV never hosted codes and coinswag's retrieval system is not working at all anymore.