Etiquette question from a newb.

CanDMan47

I ran into a situation today and I'm not sure how I should have continued. I was hunting for a cache at a roadside park. I looked for about 10 minutes or so. I didn't find it, and a few people were eying me suspiciously. As I was headed back to my car, I saw a woman get out of her car, carrying what I assumed was a GPSr and headed right where I knew the cache to be. I got in my car and watched her walk right too (she was good) and sign the log. I didn't speak to her, and waited for her to drive away. I was going to go in and sign the log after she left, but;

1.) There were several people around and I'm sure I would have really aroused their suspicion and

2.) I'm not sure if it's considered bad form to sign a log that I didn't really find.

So, I didn't sign it, I just drove home. If it's not frowned upon, I will be back in that area in 6 weeks and will sign it and probably note the whole event in my online log. Thanks in advance for advising a newb on the etiquette here.

The CanDMan

It's all part of gaining experience. Balancing discretion vs trying to hide what you are doing.

I tried for a cache today that some nearby kids became interested in what I was doing. I just didn't feel like gaining their trust and their watching parents, so I moved on. Another day I might have made the effort.

The next cache was in a library parking lot and I knew when to lift the skirt to grab it, and then to wait for that family to get into their minivan before replacing it.

When in doubt, just move on.

So, I didn't sign it, I just drove home. If it's not frowned upon, I will be back in that area in 6 weeks and will sign it and probably note the whole event in my online log.

You did the right thing! And by all means, make a note of your experience in your log...I always like reading them when cachers log my hides. Welcome to the adventure[:unsure:]

Myself, I would have hopped out as soon as I realized she was also a cacher and introduced myself (while also signing the log).

I find muggles pay less attention to cachers if you are with someone else, going about your business and ignoring the muggles (unless your are both doing acrobatics on a bridge or such-LOL)

Plus, you could have made a new friend, gained information..etc.

On the flip side of that...If you truly feel that the cache could be compromised by your actions, you did the right thing.

Welcome to Geocaching!

"Finding" it in that way is no different than if you were with someone or a whole group of people that were caching, and they found it right before you did. You would still log it as found. Just remember, it's a game, have fun, and do what is right for you, without compromising the cache.