Oregon 550T...please advise

Hello. New to caching and GPS, please be patient. I have ordered a Garmin Oregon 550T and it is going to be delivered tomorrow just before we leave for a family vacation. Will the built in topo and base maps be sufficient for finding my way to a cache or do I need to purchase the city navigator software to get me most of the way there? I do not have a car GPS. :unsure: I am hoping that I don't have to spend hours on the computer trying to figure out how to load caches. Because we will be leaving shortly after the Oregon arrives, would it best to just print out cache locations and enter them in manually? Hoping the Oregon will be easy to use out of the box. Thanks in advance.

Hello. New to caching and GPS, please be patient. I have ordered a Garmin Oregon 550T and it is going to be delivered tomorrow just before we leave for a family vacation. Will the built in topo and base maps be sufficient for finding my way to a cache or do I need to purchase the city navigator software to get me most of the way there? I do not have a car GPS. :unsure: I am hoping that I don't have to spend hours on the computer trying to figure out how to load caches. Because we will be leaving shortly after the Oregon arrives, would it best to just print out cache locations and enter them in manually? Hoping the Oregon will be easy to use out of the box. Thanks in advance.

Congrats on your new 550T, Wish I had 1 myself.

My first gps was the Etrex Yellow and I had no problems caching with it and it had no map at all not even a base map.

However I did print out a Local map of the area so I kney what rodes to take as the Yellow etrex would only point u to the cashe as the crow flys.

In my own opinion the base maps are rubish and if you're going to spend a lot of cash on the best GPS on the market it might be worth while getting maps for it.

As far as I know it comes with topo like you mentioned and that will be more then you need.

Why not pick up city nav as it will show roads in more detail and you can use it as a sat nav in your car.

I hope i have helped

My first suggestion would be for you to upgrade to a Premium Membership. Then you have the both of best worlds. A 550T without a premium membership is like a Ferrari with a Model A engine. Then you set up your routes and PQ's etc. Load them into your new GPS and hit the road...

I would get the City Navigator. I found the 550t does not have the detailed street maps when you're in a city that will help with your caches. I tried it for a few days without it, but finally gave in and got it. I know it's spendy but the results were well worth it. It also has the plus for finding where to eat, gas stations, local attractions, etc.

As for loading the caches, it's as easy as 1-2-3, as long as you load them onto the device memory and not the SD card. The 550s do not support reading GPX files from the card. Doing pocket queries or creating trip routes is a snap also. But you should upgrade to the Premimum Membership to get the full benefit of the site.

Thank you for all the info! I went ahead and upgraded to the Premium and have done a pocket query. I have the pocket queries sitting in my inbox because I don't know what software I will need to read it??? Help! I'm assuming the Oregon comes with software or do I have to download the GPX reading software as well? I'm really hoping that I can plug the Oregon into the computer and transfer it straight to it from the email?

I would get the City Navigator. I found the 550t does not have the detailed street maps when you're in a city that will help with your caches. I tried it for a few days without it, but finally gave in and got it. I know it's spendy but the results were well worth it. It also has the plus for finding where to eat, gas stations, local attractions, etc.

As for loading the caches, it's as easy as 1-2-3, as long as you load them onto the device memory and not the SD card. The 550s do not support reading GPX files from the card. Doing pocket queries or creating trip routes is a snap also. But you should upgrade to the Premimum Membership to get the full benefit of the site.

Each pocket query you've received contains a .zip file attachement. Unzip that file on your computer and save the 2 .gpx files contained inside the .zip file to your Desktop (I'm assuming you have a PC). When you get your 550 connect it to a USB port on your computer and it should enter USB mass storage mode which means it will show up as a new driver letter, I'll assume it is E:, but it may be a different letter depending on your computer. Copy the gpx files from your Desktop to E:\Garmin\GPX, disconnect your 550 and it will power off automatically. Power the 550 back on and goto Main Menu>Geocaches to verify that the geocaches are now loaded.

Thank you so much, I did unzip the 2 files and am waiting for the UPS man now to deliver my new toy! I'm assuming I can just right click to send the files to the GPS once it is connected to the computer.

I'll check into the City Navigator next, still trying to sort thru all of the info on DVD version vs MicroSD version.

I am excited to get it and be off on our trip. I even did a route pocket query, very cool!

Each pocket query you've received contains a .zip file attachement. Unzip that file on your computer and save the 2 .gpx files contained inside the .zip file to your Desktop (I'm assuming you have a PC). When you get your 550 connect it to a USB port on your computer and it should enter USB mass storage mode which means it will show up as a new driver letter, I'll assume it is E:, but it may be a different letter depending on your computer. Copy the gpx files from your Desktop to E:\Garmin\GPX, disconnect your 550 and it will power off automatically. Power the 550 back on and goto Main Menu>Geocaches to verify that the geocaches are now loaded.

Right clicking won't work, you'll need to copy them to the directory I posted below.

I always recommend getting the DVD version of the maps so you can use the maps on your computer unless you think you want to move the maps between different Garmin units.

Edited by g-o-cashers

Oh dear! Sorry but can you explain more about copying to the directory? I see a link for Oregon Wiki is that what you mean by the directory you posted below?

Right clicking won't work, you'll need to copy them to the directory I posted below.

I always recommend getting the DVD version of the maps so you can use the maps on your computer unless you think you want to move the maps between different Garmin units.

Since you're in a hurry, it may not be helpful right now, but GSAK is arguably the best piece of geocaching software out there. It reads your GPX files, too. But it's a very detailed database program which allows you to do most anything you want with your cache data, including sending it to your GPS. I highly recommend you check it out when you get a chance at gsak.net

Plug your GPS into your computer. You will see a Garmin/GPX directory available like a normal USB Flash DRive. Copy your GPX file's into that directory before your trip. You have a limit of 2000 caches and I've only ever put 1000 in there so I don't know how it acts when you hit the limit.

Once you copy the GPX to that directory you will have your caches on your GPS.

GSAK has a learning curve to it. Mess with it when you have time. Copying the GPX file directly to the GPS is quick and easy when you don't have the time to learn all the new stuff. Learning your GPS will take some time.

What you will see on you computer is a drive marked Garmin with the Garmin logo next to it. The drive letter will depend on your computer and how many drives you have on it. On mine it is the G: drive. Open the Garmin drive, look for the Garmin folder, open it, look for the GPX folder. That is the folder you want to copy your queries into. I would open two windows, one for the Garmin, one for the files you want to copy, and then just drag'n'drop them into the Garmin. Remember the 550s will only read geocache data from the device memory, not the external SD card.

I just received my Orefon 400t yesterday so I'm in the same boat. I don't have the answers yet but I can give you some useful information:

According to my manual, you can actually download caches directly from www.geocaching.com to your oregon once you download theGarmin Communicator (browser?) plug-in which is free. I've downloaded it but haven't used it yet.

Also, if you decide to get the City Navigator Maps, I found Amazon to have the best price. They were about $20 or $25 less than the Garmin site. I haven't received the dvd yet but the product number was the same on both sites so I think it's the same.

I just received my Orefon 400t yesterday so I'm in the same boat. I don't have the answers yet but I can give you some useful information:

According to my manual, you can actually download caches directly from www.geocaching.com to your oregon once you download theGarmin Communicator (browser?) plug-in which is free. I've downloaded it but haven't used it yet.

Also, if you decide to get the City Navigator Maps, I found Amazon to have the best price. They were about $20 or $25 less than the Garmin site. I haven't received the dvd yet but the product number was the same on both sites so I think it's the same.

Which is one cache at a time.

Becoming a premium member on gc.com lets you download Pocket Queries which contain up to 500 caches in each file. You can just drag and drop the contents of this file directly into the :garmin/gpx folder unsing Windows / Mac. The Oregon 550 can hold a max of 5,000 caches with full information, the Oregon 400t can hold a max of 2,000 caches with full info.

Hello. New to caching and GPS, please be patient. I have ordered a Garmin Oregon 550T and it is going to be delivered tomorrow just before we leave for a family vacation. Will the built in topo and base maps be sufficient for finding my way to a cache or do I need to purchase the city navigator software to get me most of the way there? I do not have a car GPS. :D I am hoping that I don't have to spend hours on the computer trying to figure out how to load caches. Because we will be leaving shortly after the Oregon arrives, would it best to just print out cache locations and enter them in manually? Hoping the Oregon will be easy to use out of the box. Thanks in advance.

I have an Oregon 400t which is amazing and I am jealous of you for getting the 550t. I hope it is even better than the 400t. As regards your query about City Navigator, it is worth pointing out that the topo maps supplied are good but will only point you in the right direction, ie in a straight line, they won't give you a route. City Navigator will do routing by road so what I do is to enable Navigator to get me to the area, perhaps the recommended parking area. This is much more useful than using the straight line only topo maps, but once you are there and on foot, disable City Navigator and use the topo maps. It works great for me and should do on your 550t. Good luck!

I'll never have a hand held without city navigator.I use that to get me there and then use the compass or topo map from the truck to the cache. I just got my 550T a few days ago and am loving it !! Some people say not to buy it already on a sd card but if you do you can move the chip from unit to unit with no problem.

Hello. New to caching and GPS, please be patient. I have ordered a Garmin Oregon 550T and it is going to be delivered tomorrow just before we leave for a family vacation. Will the built in topo and base maps be sufficient for finding my way to a cache or do I need to purchase the city navigator software to get me most of the way there? I do not have a car GPS. :P I am hoping that I don't have to spend hours on the computer trying to figure out how to load caches. Because we will be leaving shortly after the Oregon arrives, would it best to just print out cache locations and enter them in manually? Hoping the Oregon will be easy to use out of the box. Thanks in advance.

I have an Oregon 400t which is amazing and I am jealous of you for getting the 550t. I hope it is even better than the 400t. As regards your query about City Navigator, it is worth pointing out that the topo maps supplied are good but will only point you in the right direction, ie in a straight line, they won't give you a route. City Navigator will do routing by road so what I do is to enable Navigator to get me to the area, perhaps the recommended parking area. This is much more useful than using the straight line only topo maps, but once you are there and on foot, disable City Navigator and use the topo maps. It works great for me and should do on your 550t. Good luck!

Even with City Navigator installed it still gives you the "as the crow flies" direction arrow, but you can program it to do turn by turn navigation. What I like when you add it is the more detailed views of streets that you con't get with the pre-loaded topo map.

Thank you, thank you! The two window, drop and drag was what I needed to know and it worked. Woohoo!

What you will see on you computer is a drive marked Garmin with the Garmin logo next to it. The drive letter will depend on your computer and how many drives you have on it. On mine it is the G: drive. Open the Garmin drive, look for the Garmin folder, open it, look for the GPX folder. That is the folder you want to copy your queries into. I would open two windows, one for the Garmin, one for the files you want to copy, and then just drag'n'drop them into the Garmin. Remember the 550s will only read geocache data from the device memory, not the external SD card.

Thank you, thank you! The two window, drop and drag was what I needed to know and it worked. Woohoo!

You'll enjoy it. I went out this past Saturday and did a personal record of 17 caches, with pictures to match.

Ivhs72, I'm enjoying it for sure. So nice to have all of the cache description, logs and hints without having to carry around paperwork. I just need to get the City Navigator now. Luckily we knew the area we were in over the weekend so it wasn't a problem. Do you have any thoughts on the DVD vs the SD card or just downloading it from the Garmin website? One other thing I'd like to be able to download would be the tide times for our local fishing spot. I see a tab called tides under the marine profile but it didn't do anything. If you know of any other things that you have found that can be dowloaded let me know. I found a download for NW trails that someone compiled and it seems to be quite popular and at no cost. If you are interested the website is www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_trails.html. Thanks again for all the help.

You'll enjoy it. I went out this past Saturday and did a personal record of 17 caches, with pictures to match.

FYI, Best Buy has a lifetime upgrade of maps available. Not sure it works for your first time loading them but for anyone who has the maps and is looking to update, it seems to be the best route. no pun intended. I just found out about the 550 today and decided to look to the forums for info/reviews?

Ivhs72, I'm enjoying it for sure. So nice to have all of the cache description, logs and hints without having to carry around paperwork. I just need to get the City Navigator now. Luckily we knew the area we were in over the weekend so it wasn't a problem. Do you have any thoughts on the DVD vs the SD card or just downloading it from the Garmin website? One other thing I'd like to be able to download would be the tide times for our local fishing spot. I see a tab called tides under the marine profile but it didn't do anything. If you know of any other things that you have found that can be dowloaded let me know. I found a download for NW trails that someone compiled and it seems to be quite popular and at no cost. If you are interested the website is www.switchbacks.com/maps/NW_trails.html. Thanks again for all the help.

I would go with the DVD maps. If you get the SD card version, you won't be able to add anything else to the card. If you go via download, it must be downloaded to an SD card, and it will only be able to be used on that card. With the DVD, you can load it onto an SD card, then reload it again if your card fails, or if you get a bigger one. You can also add different maps to the SD card from DVDs, like the tides and intercoastal waterways maps. With the 550/550t, you won't be able to put any geocaching data on the external SD, it has to all go on the device. I have a 16gb card on mine, mostly to hold pictures. It's an overkill, I've been told, but I subscribe to the theory that it is better to have too much storage area than not enough. On my Oregon 300, I put a City Navigator NT 2009 and Topo 2008 onto an SD card, and loaded every state from Ohio west, and it took about 2.3gb. Also took about 6 hours to load, but it was worth it.

FYI, Best Buy has a lifetime upgrade of maps available. Not sure it works for your first time loading them but for anyone who has the maps and is looking to update, it seems to be the best route. no pun intended. I just found out about the 550 today and decided to look to the forums for info/reviews?

The 550 would be a good buy over the 550t, if you can get the lifetime updates. I went with the 550t because I really don't need the topo as much as I thought, but since I found out that I can't load geocache data on the external SD, I would like to put all my maps on that card. Both units have the same amount of internal user memory available (approx. 850mb) so being able to put all the map data on the external card would be nice.

I looked at the Best Buy sites, and I saw that they have nuMaps lifetime available for $119. I had to go to the Garmin site to find the compatible devices:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=256...3379#productTab

Edited by ivhs72

Hi Geosalmon,

Congratulations to your new GPS! I have three comments

1) DVD vs. SD. I personally prefer the DVD since it allows me to plan longer trips on my computer, put routes together and then download everything to my Oregon 400t

2) Have you considered Topo 24K West? Right now you are looking into City Navigator to get auto-routing on streets. Topo 24k West gives you exactly that + routing on trails + more detailed maps when being out there. Furthermore it is not locked to one unit. Of course it covers only OR, WA, CA and NV, but if you don't travel beyond that it certainly would be worth looking into it.

3) I don't have my Oregon right now with me, but if I remember correctly you

a) click on "Where to"

:lol: click on "Tides"

c) Select a location like "Half Moon Bay"

d) Click on the the box on the top of the page that says "Half Moon Bay 12.03mi

Now you should see a graphic and tide tables. You can touch the graphic and then change the date to see the tide tables for the day you want to go fishing.

Hi Orienteering,

Wow, Thank you so much for the info on the tides, worked perfect!! I had no idea it would do that. This GPS is amazing, so much info. Thanks again for the info on the tides, my hubby will be impressed! GPS's have come a long way since our last Magellan 315, wow and I'm sure I don't know the half of it yet. Does it tell the weather report too?? Thanks again!!

Hi Geosalmon,

Congratulations to your new GPS! I have three comments

1) DVD vs. SD. I personally prefer the DVD since it allows me to plan longer trips on my computer, put routes together and then download everything to my Oregon 400t

2) Have you considered Topo 24K West? Right now you are looking into City Navigator to get auto-routing on streets. Topo 24k West gives you exactly that + routing on trails + more detailed maps when being out there. Furthermore it is not locked to one unit. Of course it covers only OR, WA, CA and NV, but if you don't travel beyond that it certainly would be worth looking into it.

3) I don't have my Oregon right now with me, but if I remember correctly you

a) click on "Where to"

:huh: click on "Tides"

c) Select a location like "Half Moon Bay"

d) Click on the the box on the top of the page that says "Half Moon Bay 12.03mi

Now you should see a graphic and tide tables. You can touch the graphic and then change the date to see the tide tables for the day you want to go fishing.

One more question :huh: . Now that I've downloaded my local 500 geocaches to the GPS, via the pocket query, how do I keep that up to date? Do I have to delete what I dowloaded and occasionally run another pocket query that has the latest info? Can I just rerun the same one to update it without making a bunch of duplicate caches?

One more question :D . Now that I've downloaded my local 500 geocaches to the GPS, via the pocket query, how do I keep that up to date? Do I have to delete what I dowloaded and occasionally run another pocket query that has the latest info? Can I just rerun the same one to update it without making a bunch of duplicate caches?

You can configure the PQ to run on a various schedule, such as weekly, or daily, or once. It will always assign a file name that is a number when you run them but the number never changes. So whenever you run it again it'll have the same number. When you copy it to your GPS, it will overwrite the older query and put in the latest with the update information.

Hi GeoSalmon,

Glad, I could help. Did you consider DVD vs. SD and Topo 24k vs. City Navigator already?

If you need the weather report in addition to the tides you should get the Rino 530HCx from Garmin. That GPS has a built-in walkie-talkie and a weather radio. My kids and I use them on hikes along the PCT. Unfortunately they don't support paperless caching like the Oregon. I can't wait for Garmin to offer a new Rino with touch screen and paperless caching.

Have a great weekend,

Orienteering

==========

Are you sure that the 24k Topo West is UNlocked? That makes it much more attractive.

Thanks

==========

Are you sure that the 24k Topo West is UNlocked? That makes it much more attractive.

Thanks

Just coming back from vacation. YES, I'm sure. I own the DVD.

==========

Thanks

That is odd, mine is locked to one unit only. I believe due to the routing data.

==========

Thanks

That is odd, mine is locked to one unit only. I believe due to the routing data.

Do you own WEST or any of the other regions? How did the locking happen? When were you asked for a code? Mine never required a code.

==========

Thanks

I've been told by Garmin that the only maps that they lock are the City Navigator. Go figure. I found that out when I tried to load my CN 2009 onto my Oreon 550t and found it locked to my old Oregon 300. Had to buy a new one. But I could use the topo maps if I wanted to.

:) I have an oregon 550T also and I think what I read about GPX files is what I need to do but want to ask anyways while I try this method at the same time.

1) If I use the GPX file download will the "additional Hints" come over with the file, right now I just downloaded right to GPS from geocaching.com and everything is there except the hints. I am using the premimum membership.

:) I have an oregon 550T also and I think what I read about GPX files is what I need to do but want to ask anyways while I try this method at the same time.

1) If I use the GPX file download will the "additional Hints" come over with the file, right now I just downloaded right to GPS from geocaching.com and everything is there except the hints. I am using the premimum membership.

Are you sure you're not getting the hints when you transfer a GPX file directly from the Web site? Keep in mind that you won't be able to see the hint until you're actually navigating to that cache. At least that's how it works on my Oregon 550t.

--Larry

:laughing: I have an oregon 550T also and I think what I read about GPX files is what I need to do but want to ask anyways while I try this method at the same time.

Are you sure you're not getting the hints when you transfer a GPX file directly from the Web site? Keep in mind that you won't be able to see the hint until you're actually navigating to that cache. At least that's how it works on my Oregon 550t.

--Larry

You are correct, posted the thread and went to find some caches. Once navigating I noticed field to view hint and hello it was there.

You are correct, posted the thread and went to find some caches. Once navigating I noticed field to view hint and hello it was there.

I'm not sure why they implemented things that way. It can be a bit of a nuisance under some circumstances.

Let's say I'm going for a multi cache. As I navigate to the first stage, I can easily read the hint if I decide I need it. When I find the first stage, I get the coordinates for a second stage. I dutifully create a waypoint with the new coordinates and off I go, now navigating to that waypoint. Except that if there's a hint for the second (or any succeeding) stage, I won't be able to read the hint unless I stop navigating to that stage and start navigating back to Stage 1.

I've found myself in that trap a couple of times. Now, when I'm doing a multi and need the hint(s), I make note of all the hints while I'm still navigating to Stage 1.

--Larry