Town Deputy Mayor approaching me about event

Hi there,

Town Deputy-Mayor approached me. He's only slightly familiar with geocaching but wants to setup some kind of event in conjunction with an antique week next year. Problem is he wants to commercialize it in the sense that he wanted the caches inside the stores. I tried explaining that you can't easily cache in the store because of the loss of signal inside. I also told him that geocaching isn't to advertise and isn't to be commercialized in the sense of caches. He asked if caches could be placed outside the stores for the event. I'm still feeling uneasy about it. It's good to use it to entice people to come to town but to turn it into a way to get people to specific stores with a concern that these stores will try to get geocachers inside scares me. Thoughts?

Hi there,

Town Deputy-Mayor approached me. He's only slightly familiar with geocaching but wants to setup some kind of event in conjunction with an antique week next year. Problem is he wants to commercialize it in the sense that he wanted the caches inside the stores. I tried explaining that you can't easily cache in the store because of the loss of signal inside. I also told him that geocaching isn't to advertise and isn't to be commercialized in the sense of caches. He asked if caches could be placed outside the stores for the event. I'm still feeling uneasy about it. It's good to use it to entice people to come to town but to turn it into a way to get people to specific stores with a concern that these stores will try to get geocachers inside scares me. Thoughts?

If he wants to set up a bunch of temp caches and provide the coordinates himself, that is his business. If he wants to put out permanent caches and list them here, then he will have to abide by the rules and guidelines of geocaching.com.

Hi there,

I'm sure something could be worked out with your local reviewer that would make both sides happy.

The important thang is that your local city government recognizes that GeoTourism is an important aspect of the positive impact of geocaching.

I think the proper procedure is for you or the mayor to contact Groundspeak. I believe that they have the final say on commercial caches. In this case I don't think your reviewer can help.

Team Taran

The reviewer can help them so that their placements aren't deemed commercial. It's a win-win.

Hi there,

If he wants to set up a bunch of temp caches and provide the coordinates himself, that is his business. If he wants to put out permanent caches and list them here, then he will have to abide by the rules and guidelines of geocaching.com.

Well said!!

You might want to check out this website. Especially the "ashecache treasure" link on the right.

Very nice. This could help show the Deputy Mayor how to exploit geocaching all year long instead of only during the event.

Speaking of the antique week festivities a geocaching event built around such a non-caching event may be in violation of the guidelines. You'd have to be very careful with how you organize it and how you write up the cache page. Best to get your reviewer involved early. He/she can help you get these things straightened out and assist with any issues that require contacting GS. At the very least they can let you know what issues you need to address early enough that they don't become a real problem.

Doesn't is say in the rules that you are not supposed to do it for advertising???

A cache can BE an attraction to geocachers to come to a particular spot in a town. Hey, if it so happens that some special event is going on that day and the cacher is interested... BONUS!

You can host a geocaching event nearby even, but the purpose HAS to be primarily to discuss geocaching, not to attend a non-related event. Get it? I've been to events that did just that. Also a win-win.