Iphone 3G vs Iphone 3GS?

I tried searching and looking through several pages of posts but did not see this listed, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered already.

Is the new Iphone 3GS any better at Geocaching than the 3G? Does the GPS update any faster? Does the digital compass help at all?

Thanks!

Insp Gadget

This remains to be seen. The 3GS hasn't been out for very long.

Useful for caching, the 3GS includes a compass and has a faster processor. Also a somewhat better camera. The downside is battery life is worse than even the 3G -- no big deal, since you can carry spares.

Bear in mind you will find some zealots who will insist that the latest, greatest, whatever they own is THE one you should buy -- whether they're trying to talk you into the iPhone 3GS or out of it :D

Edited by lee_rimar

This remains to be seen. The 3GS hasn't been out for very long.

Useful for caching, the 3GS includes a compass. It also has a faster processor and a somewhat better camera. The downside is battery life is worse than even the 3G -- no big deal, since you can carry spares.

Bear in mind you will find some zealots who will insist that the latest, greatest, whatever they own is THE one you should buy -- whether they're trying to talk you into the iPhone 3GS or out of it :D

I thought the new 3Gs was better on battery life than the 3G? And how do you carry spare batteries for it? Is it user replaceable unlike the 3G?

No, you cannot change the batteries on the iPhone.
I knew someone would say that. But I didn't say "change the batteries," I said "carry spares." I carry an external pack that uses AA cells: http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-35159.html

As for 3G vs. 3Gs performance, I find the 3Gs a bit faster but the biggest improvement was in the latest update to the geocaching app.
The latest version of the GC app doesn't require a 3GS, it works fine on the 3G also. Edited by lee_rimar
I thought the new 3Gs was better on battery life than the 3G?
Yes and no The 3GS internal battery is slightly larger capacity and in "typical" use it is supposed last quite a bit longer. Anecdotally though, comparing my 3G to a friend's 3GS, there doesn't seem to be a lot of difference. And he manages to run his battery down faster than me - but our settings and usage patterns might not be the same either.

And how do you carry spare batteries?
In my pocket :D

http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-35159.html

Edited by lee_rimar
Do you use NiMH batteries in that thing?
Yes, I usually carry Sanyo Eneloops and they work fine. I've also tested it with standard alkalines and Everyready E2 lithium cells - no problems.

I couldn't tell you how many hours any specific battery type lasts because I haven't done specific run-down tests. In real-world activity, I've not managed to run down a fresh set of batteries in a whole day of driving, bicycling, or caching -- and when I get home I pop the Eneloops into the charger.

4 AA cells is really quite a bit of juice compared to the iPhone's built-in battery.

As for 3G vs. 3Gs performance, I find the 3Gs a bit faster but the biggest improvement was in the latest update to the geocaching app.
The latest version of the GC app doesn't require a 3GS, it works fine on the 3G also.

Thank you for clarifying that, it was the program that was the major improvement.I just wanted to point out the biggest improvement was not the phone.