What should I wear?

chrisrayn

Hey everybody. I'm relatively new to geocaching, but it's amazing fun.

Now, I've found only 12 caches, but I'm enjoying myself with the exception of one thing...I always get stickers on me, soaked, stabbed, poisoned, etc. lol. is there any kind of clothing anyone would suggest wearing for geocaching in the Texas heat?

Thanks!

chrisrayn

Hi!

Great question! We cache in Memphis, which is hot but wetter than your area. Here are our geocaching duds:

Carolyn

• Goretex-lined trail shoes
  • Socks that cover my ankles
  • Jeans
  • Long loose t-shirt
  • Super light shirt with sleeves for caching among thorns (I keep this in my pack)
  • Bug dope. (I cover my hair with it with the hope that my long hair will provide a cloud of tick and mosquito prevention around me)

Steve

• Goretex-lined trail shoes
  • Athletic socks
  • Jeans
  • Long-sleeved shirt with strategic buttons that allow him to roll them up and keep them that way
  • Bug dope (He uses it more sparingly than I do)
  • Tilley Hat to keep off the sun and the insects

We also carry work gloves for those times we need to push through thorns.

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

Looks like a lot of folks here are recommending full mountain backpacking gear, while others cache in work clothes.

The best answer is: It depends on the location.

If you're going out into a state park or other wooded area, jeans, good hiking shoes, and generally things you would wear on a hike.

If you're going after a quick one on the way home from grocery shopping, just wear normal clothing and sneakers.

In either case, I find a pair of gardening gloves to be indispensable. You may have to fish around the base of a lamp post or inside a hollow log. Either way, EEEW! Trust me, gloves are a must. You can pick up a cheap pair just about anywhere.

For day hikes and woods caching, I go in jeans, t-shirt, and either hiking boots or solid athletic shoes. I keep a bag with gloves, bug spray, bandaids, a CITO bag and a small amount of swag in my car, and toss in the phone, wallet, and keys when we head out. Don't forget the water bottle and the camera!

If you think you're going to be doing any bushwacking at all then it should be long pants for protection from plants and insects. In the summer, rather than jeans, I wear summer weight ripstop BDU (battle dress uniform) pants. There are a number of sellers on ebay of the same BDU pants the military issued and the prices are inexpensive. Not only are the pants cooler than jeans, but they dry faster as well. Also if there are ticks in your area, you may want to buy some permethrin and treat the sets of clothes you wear for caching.

Edited by Pax42

Jeans are among the worst possible things to wear. They are hot, retain water and will latch on to any burrs and other hitchhiking seeds. Tightly woven nylon hiking pants are the way to go. They are a lot cooler than jeans and if they get wet they dry quickly. If the area where you geocache a lot has a lot of burs/stickers nylon gaiters will

help cut down on that.

I personally prefer shorts, but after some geocaching trips my legs look like the've been through a butcher shop. My wife on the other hand always wears nylon hiking pants even in the hottest weather. She rarely has issues with burrs and loses a lot less blood than I do.

For me it depends on how I'm getting to the cache.

It's either jeans and a casual top (T-shirt or shirt) with either Chelsea boots or Brogues if I'm passing.

If I'm going out purposely to cache or getting a lift by car I'll wear whatever's appropriate for the weather but bring a casual leather jacket for thorns etc.

If I'm on the bikes (mine or someone else's) I'll be in a full set of leathers, full set of Gore-Tex or combination of the two.

By far the most suitable attire is the bike stuff but it's a bit conspicuous if you're just out walking with the bairn.

The Mrs. and I just dress for the weather and type of outing planned.

Typically that's hiking boots and quality cushioned wood hiking socks paired up with what the weather dictates. We don't mind Geostripes, and know how to avoid poison plants so shorts are the order of the day when hot, and jeans or khakis on those cooler days, all the way to long underwear and ski bibs for winter.

If we are just doing urban caches, then whatever we happen to be wearing at the time is usually sufficient since they are going usually be park and grabs.

The majority of the time I make sure I am wearing a hat. This way I can stick my head straight into the bushes, or go head on through all the thickets in the woods. Of course, my husband just thinks it makes it easier for him to grab my bum. :unsure:

Edited by mfamilee
The majority of the time I make sure I am wearing a hat. This way I can stick my head straight into the bushes, or go head on through all the thickets in the woods. Of course, my husband just thinks it makes it easier for him to grab my bum. :D

Erm, too much information? ;)

On a more serious note, sunglasses. Helps protect the eye from the sun, as well as the occasional branch that you didn't see. Of course, you might be able to see the branch if not for that pesky sunglasses...

I always wear long pants. Denim jeans are good, but heavy, and cotton does not wick perspiraton. Synthetic pants wick moisture better, but don't hold up to thorns, and other sharp objects.

Currently wearing light hiking shoes that seem to do well in the city, and climbing mountains.

Well, I've always worn glasses, and still managed to poke my eye with a tree last week!

My caching partner always wears long-sleeved shirts, and suffer quite a lot fewer mosquito bites that I do. Nope! I'm not wearing long sleeves in the summer!