Heavy rains bring tidings

I found a large pvc pipe (10 inches wide by 4 ft long) after some flash floods two weeks ago. It has a rubber sealing cap on one end and open on the other. It has some notches in order to place it in the ground, but being that putting the container in the ground is not an option... I am think about sawing off the notches and adding another rubber cap on the end. That would make it air tight... I'm hoping. I then plan on spray painting a black base... then adding some brown.... maybe a couple of pieces of real bark... and maybe some moss. This would make it look almost entirely like a log. Has anybody made a cache like that before?

I will post pics when I get it finished... it will probably take a couple of weeks.

hmmm.... maybe I will make the container and then place two pretzel containers inside of that. Double protection.
Double protection doesn't work against water. What happens is the water gets inside the first container and is then held against the inner container for a long time. It seeps in. You're better off with a single watertight container like an ammo can.

From what I read recently, ball valves on the end of the pipe may be better than both screw-on lids and rubber stoppers in terms of water-proofing.

Also, sometimes when people find PVC pipes laying around the first thing they think is "pipe-bomb". More often when non-cachers see people being all sneaky-like and placing/manipulating a PVC pipe in some locations they think "PIPE-BOMB!". Keep this in mind.

From what I read recently, ball valves on the end of the pipe may be better than both screw-on lids and rubber stoppers in terms of water-proofing.

Also, sometimes when people find PVC pipes laying around the first thing they think is "pipe-bomb". More often when non-cachers see people being all sneaky-like and placing/manipulating a PVC pipe in some locations they think "PIPE-BOMB!". Keep this in mind.

Well... where I plan to put it is "deep" in the woods... where I doubt that any muggle should look. I would rather try to use this pipe than an ammo box because i think that it takes a little bit more creativity... which is an added bonus to both myself and the finder. I will look into the ball valve idea... I hadnt thought of that. Thanks,

-Goose-

Edited by goosefraba1