Travel bugs going AWOL

Sheep Dip

I've been waiting for 6 weeks for the person who grabbed my TB (from USA and wanting to return) to move it on. A couple of email nudges hasn't produced any response or explanation. Any ideas on what to do? :D

stick pins in your vodoo doll. Other than that not much unless you know some mafia hit men.

Jim

Funny, I came here to see if others had this problem. I don't have any travel bugs, but I am watching the five that I have moved. Of the five, four have been held for months..... a couple since march, and one since October of last year.

I know that I been guilty of holding one for too long.... a couple of months i think.... but I had planned on taking it out of state and forgot about it. Had the owner sent me an email I would have quickly found it and placed it.

So what's the norm? How long do people usually keep a travel bug out? Some of the ones I am watching I am guessing are not coming back. And is what's the best way to motivate a bug hog?

I've been waiting for 6 weeks for the person who grabbed my TB (from USA and wanting to return) to move it on. A couple of email nudges hasn't produced any response or explanation. Any ideas on what to do? :D

stick pins in your vodoo doll. Other than that not much unless you know some mafia hit men.

Jim

Thanks Jim - I think I'll try a stern 3rd message first, and then let rip ! ;)

In my experience, your best bet is to try to put some distance between yourself and the travel bug. Try to convince yourself that the person who picked it up will eventually place it, and that you'll be pleasantly surprised and pleased when that happens.

When I first began releasing travel bugs a couple of months ago, I checked the site multiple times a day to see if they'd been moved, and once they'd been picked up, I obsessively watched the site to see if they'd been placed in a new cache. I wondered why the people who moved them didn't place them immediately, were they lost, etc.. And none of that activity on my part had any impact whatsoever on what was going on out in the world with my TBs and the people moving them around for me. I also reminded myself that I'd spent a grand total of 7 bucks on each travel bug, so I wasn't really all that heavily invested economically should they go missing. In the end, I managed to achieve some perspective and stop worrying about the them.

Now, having said all that, I still love the travel bugs we've released, and I do check the site to see how they're getting along. But when our first one went missing from a muggled cache earlier this week, it wasn't the devastating event it definitely would have been before I'd gone through this exercise.

Just one perspective -

Travel Bugs produce more angst than virtually any other aspect of Geocaching. About 60% of the TBs I have released dissappeared. Often forever, but a few have resurfaced after literally years of being idle. I rarely move trackables anymore after a few heavily angst ridden emails from over anxious owners.

Send a few polite emails and then don't worry about it. It will either go or not. You have no more control.

Hmmm...

It was picked up by very new cachers, they've only done 5 caches, it's the first TB they've found, they haven't been active since mid-June... :D

Looking on the bright side - At least the log that they put when they retrieved it shows that they have good intentions and they understand they need to move it on. "Minis are excited..." Let's hope that now it's the school holidays perhaps they'll have time to do a few more caches and will drop your TB off.

Fingers crossed!

MrsB ;)

Thanks Jim - I think I'll try a stern 3rd message first, and then let rip ! ;)

Polite messages only! Yes. I have been known to hold a TB for more than a month. If you send me a polite reminder, I will find a nice cache for it quickly. If you send a stern message, it goes in the next cache I find, no matter how wet or stinky (actually wet and stinky is better...) Cache is a micro? I can squeeze it in there! :D Last stern messge sent the TB into a tough multi, and it wasn't found for five months! Hee hee hee.

This is probably nicer than what some people would do.

Oh, and, last polite message (to a friend)... TB went on an eleven state adventure, and ended up 450 miles north. It wants to visit all 50 states. We took it to eleven!

Edited by Harry Dolphin