Hidden "Elite" Caches....

*Warning* Long-winded post ahead. :D Those that don't want to read the whole post can scroll to the bottom for the short version marked with an asterisk (*).

I was out caching the other day with a friend of mine that I've met through caching. This hide had stumped several experienced cacher and we had already invested over an hour looking ourselves. To pass the time, we'd break now and again and just talk about caching. We were joking about how some new cachers to the sport seemed almost "star-struck" when they were able to meet us at another FTF. They called us "Legends"....which I thought was amusing since I only have 750 finds and my friends have almost 1,500 finds. With this in mind, we got to talking about attending a bunch of events next year.

One of the events we'd like to attend is the Texas Challenge. One of the cachers that attends that event is the 3Defaus (sp?) which, I believe, live several hours away from us here in Ft. Worth. They had met my friend and said something to the affect, "Yes, I've heard of you. Believe me, you're well known." Now this cracked me up for many reasons but one reason was so that I could mess with my friend (BTW they go by texaslibra). I seized the opprtunity and started feeding her a bunch of mumbo jumbo about how there are "Elite" cachers in the community that "watch" other cachers and determine who is worthy of finding secret/unpublished caches with the "REAL SWAG TREASURES". You are invited by how much of a contribution you make to the game of geocaching (i.e. number of hides, friendliness to others, willingness to offer help, swag that you leave....etc.). The look on her face was like that of Indiana Jones being told that you knew where the Holy Grail is hidden. I had to stop there and bust out laughing. Thing is, it got me to thinking....

* Has anyone hidden or heard of a hidden unpublished cache that only those "in the know" are aware of? I think it could be a cool idea. What do you think?

Hi

Dont know if this counts but I have a 'private' cache set up with cachers in England.

We leave special messages (when I'm able to visit it as I live in a different country) and cool cache containers... I have a problem though because I hid the cache at Easter on a mountain side and by the summer a billion ferns grew up and even with co ordinates I couldnt find the flamin thing !!! :unsure:

I've got a video of me looking for it - the first part is looking for shells (see my thread a 1950 geocache) and second vid is one my husband made with out me knowing - he thinks he's funny!!!!! :D:P;):)

My husbands cheeky version.....

I wouldn't use the word "elite" but folks hiding a cache for a specific cacher or as a surprise are fairly common.

My first was when the Easter Geocoin Bunny mailed a special coin to a friend of mine and asked him to hide it and send me the coordinates.

I got a rather cryptic email with coordinates that simply said something like 'go here and find something hidden just for you' and there I found a plastic Easter Egg with an Easter Geocoin Bunny geocoin in it.

Since then I have been chosen by several people in the same manner to go find a special cache.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...158867&st=0

I miss Vinny. The forums just aren't as fun anymore.

You know he'd be all over this topic.

Anyone else notice that Vinny's arch enemy is the one that keeps bringing up his absence? Possibly to deflect suspicion away from the newly locked basement door?

Anyone else notice that Vinny's arch enemy is the one that keeps bringing up his absence? Possibly to deflect suspicion away from the newly locked basement door?

Yes, I did notice that. It's almost like an occult hand...

Yes, I did notice that. It's almost like an occult hand...

*whistles and adjusts halo* You wouldn't mean me... You couldn't mean me. And it's the attic door... er, never mind.

I wouldn't use the word "elite" but folks hiding a cache for a specific cacher or as a surprise are fairly common.

My first was when the Easter Geocoin Bunny mailed a special coin to a friend of mine and asked him to hide it and send me the coordinates.

I got a rather cryptic email with coordinates that simply said something like 'go here and find something hidden just for you' and there I found a plastic Easter Egg with an Easter Geocoin Bunny geocoin in it.

Since then I have been chosen by several people in the same manner to go find a special cache.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...158867&st=0

That gives me an idea......Hmmmmm......maybe create a difficult multi-cache hidden specifically for a cacher. Leave a nice prize with a note explaining their recognition as a "pillar" in the caching community. And, yes, 9key would qualify. He's very active here in North Texas and that's how I've come to "know" him through the forums. I like the idea of emailing the chosen cacher......

On many of my hides, I leave a fully stocked, custom camo'ed ammo can as the FTF prize.

In the published cache, I leave a slip of paper with the coords to the FTF one.

The FTF gets two hunts for the price of one, and eventually, I get another ammo can to hunt.

A win-win scenario. :D

Thats a pretty cool idea. How do you keep the local FTF hound from finding it?

Most of our local FTF hounds are park & grab hunters, rarely venturing more than 20' from their cars. My hides typically bring them far enough outside their comfort zone that, if they do gather enough courage to go after them, it won't be until they can put a posse together. As for the rest of the caching populace, there are a few who target my hides, because they fit their biased aesthetics. If one of those folks nabs every single FTF can I hide I would be happy as the proverbial clam, knowing that they will be hiding it in my kind of environment. :D

Most of our local FTF hounds are park & grab hunters, rarely venturing more than 20' from their cars. My hides typically bring them far enough outside their comfort zone

Nipple-deep in alligators , water moccasins, quicksand, and swamp rats, right? No freebie ammo cans for me, I guess.