Little Money, Geocaching Usable GPS

Hello,

I am pretty new to geocaching, and to date I have been trying to find all of my caches without a GPS. This has proven to be extremely difficult. I would like to buy a GPS so that I can start to actually geocache, but I do not have a very large budget: $150 maximum.

What GPS would be the best for me to get in this price range?

You can get a used Garmin eTrex series on eBay for well under $150.

Which eTrex do you think is the best for its value? Summit, Venture, or Legend? Do you think that it is necessary to get an HC?

Hi & welcome to Geocaching :(

Yep the Garmin Etrex's are great GPSr's for Geocaching! See what kind of deal you can find on one, even a used one. One tip, try to get a unit that has an "H" in the name, that stands for "high sensitivity" and makes the unit a LOT more usable! Older Etrex's that didn't have the "H" have been very frustrating to use especially in the woods when under heavy tree cover.

I recommend the Legend, but the Venture is ok too. I found and hid a ton of caches with that old Legend. Tough as nails! The only thing I didn't like about the eTrex series is the rubber gasket around the side of the units tends to come unglued eventually. You can fix it with clear silicone or professional grade double sided tape. Maybe newer units have this issue resolved though.

You might consider taking a look at the DeLorme PN-20. There is a $15 difference between that and the Venture HC. I have used a different eTrex and I liked it but I have been very happy with my DeLorme purchase.

Edited by kchunks

Definately get a high sensitivity model if you plan on doing any caching in tree cover. I started recently too, didn't know anything, and bought a used vista. I can't find much of anything with it here in Minnesota...so now I'm looking to upgrade, a month later. I do like the Vista, except that it loses satellites all the time. But I will probably get something that does paperless.

If you get something used, make sure it comes with everything you need, including a cable to hook it up to your computer. (another mistake I made.) I think the newer ones are a usb connection, but my old Vista uses a special cable that costs an additional $40-50.

You can get a new yellow Etrex for around $100. But it doesn't always include the cable.

I use a yellow etrex h, it is $82 at walmart, but i'd maybe step up to a model that can connect with usb, as the serial stuff doesnt work well with windows vista. I had a pn-20 and it worked as advertised, but i returned it because of very poor battery life, and it lost signal more than a garmin h did, otherwise it is a good unit imo.

You might consider taking a look at the DeLorme PN-20. There is a $15 difference between that and the Venture HC. I have used a different eTrex and I liked it but I have been very happy with my DeLorme purchase.

However, after doing some research on the DeLorme, I've had a 90% dissatisfaction rate among people I've asked (24 people). That says a lot...

However, after doing some research on the DeLorme, I've had a 90% dissatisfaction rate among people I've asked (24 people). That says a lot...

UH OH....

The "Uh oh" that Nami mentions is due to the number of threads on this forum that are people saying one brand is good and the other is bad and then fans of the respective brands taking offense and a large pissing mach ensues. I am not trying to start such a match but will tell you my experiences.

Anyway, I am happy with my DeLorme. I have not used an eTrex with the high sensitivity receiver so I can not directly compare it. The old eTrex Legend that I used was a just fine unit. I think most people who are not "obsessive" cachers could be happy with an eTrex. I almost got an eTrex and I am sure that overall I would have been happy. However, I like my DeLorme much more. It has lower reviews on Amazon and I think here on GC but I like it; it works for me. If possible, you should go to some sporting goods store and try out a few and find what you like.

DeLorme definitely has some things I don't like about it. It does have considerably shorter battery life than the eTrex. I like the mini USB connection on the eTrex (on all but the base model eTrex) more than the proprietary DeLorme design but it works. I have never lost a signal with my DeLorme but I have never been in extreme tree cover with it, though. I really like the Topo software that comes with the DeLorme. It does take a while to learn how to use it (the software) but it is pretty slick. The DeLorme unit itself is slightly more complicated than an eTrex in its use (according to me). However, it is not that much more complicated and it didn't take long to figure it all out and set it up how I like it. People also fight about the map quality of both units and that is something I don't even care about nor have investigated.

Lots of people here have had problems with DeLorme units and in turn lots of people have had problems with Garmin. It is often said that all different units are bad in their own way. Just get the one that is the least bad for what you want.

Who are you asking, and what do you call "dissatisfaction"? I've had a PN-20 and currently have a PN-40, and I love that thing, works great! And 24 people isn't a very large sampling group. Go ask what people think about the DeLorme GPSrs on the DeLorme forums, and I'm sure you'll get an equally skewed positive response.

But I say get either a DeLorme PN-20 or a Garmin eTrex, and of those as long as it has an H in the name. I have a Legend HCx, and it's a good unit, I have no complaints with it.

I have a Triton 400 and love it! A lot of people here talk bad about it. Most of the dissatisfaction I hear here is not about the Triton, it's about the customer service which I've never needed.

It's not expensive, is Paperless, easy to use and is compatible with Nat Geo TOPO's.

Thanks, I think I am going to try to get a eTrex Venture HC

That is the unit that I would have recommended in response to your initial post. The step up from eTrexh is well worth the difference. The Venture HC has several useful features that the eTrex doesn't have and the Venture comes with a USB cable.

After you get your new gps, go to the Garmin website and download the user manual for the Legend C - it is essentially the same unit as the Venture HC, except with the newer chip set. The functions are the same and the old users manual is more comprehensive.

The last time I checked, the price of the Venture HC was $130 at offroute.com

Who are you asking, and what do you call "dissatisfaction"? I've had a PN-20 and currently have a PN-40, and I love that thing, works great! And 24 people isn't a very large sampling group. Go ask what people think about the DeLorme GPSrs on the DeLorme forums, and I'm sure you'll get an equally skewed positive response.

But I say get either a DeLorme PN-20 or a Garmin eTrex, and of those as long as it has an H in the name. I have a Legend HCx, and it's a good unit, I have no complaints with it.

I wonder how many of those asked were using the updates and new software? I would only say, I knew going in that my PN-40 might have bugs, I was willing to take that chance to get the paperless caching, the maps and the routing...soooo glad I took that leap of faith! Truly, with DeLorme's money back policy, you're not risking much more than time when you purchase, if you find you aren't thrilled, return it!