Trade Items or Swag Lists

CacheDrone

I have a new template, and after talking to another cacher we thought it might be worth sharing.

Likely we've all seen cache pages that are several months old and have a list of trade items on them and we all know that it is really unlikely that any of those items are still in the container. So, instead it might be better to post a note during creation of the listing that tells people how it started off. The template sounds like this, but it is new as of today so it might need some updating.

Looks like you have a bunch of nice trade items within your new geocache. I would like to offer you a suggestion that may be more effective to tell people what was in your cache when it was placed. You can post a note to your own cache just like you would log a visit and provide the list of items there instead. There are a few benefits to doing this. Over time most of those trade items will be long since removed from the cache and hopefully replaced with other nice items. After a few finders that list is no longer accurate. It becomes just unnecessary text on the page, often within a month or two. You are not required to do any of this of course, it is just a suggestion.

:(

Excellent idea! It never dawned on me to use the "note" feature but it makes total sense! I listed the swag in two of my caches because they were themed (one is a fishing cache and the other had swag related to a home/hobby workshop). But I think this idea is better. Thanks CacheDrone!

I've seen people list in the cache description the original contents of a cache, and I think I may have even done it before too, but not anytime recently and probably only a couple of time. Something to consider, if someone puts it on a note instead of on the cache page, after 5 logs it soon disappears off the cache page and after that no one will really notice it. By having it on the cache page itself, if anyone is interested, they can easily see\read what was originally in the cache and what is in it now and even compare it while in the field, especially since pocket queries only get you the 5 most recent logs, but the cache description is always there.

If anything, I like that you posted your idea in the forums for people to discuss and consider, but I don't think a reviewer note (if that is what your intention was) is a place for a reviewer to give their personal opinions. Perhaps a personalized email would be much better received. Besides, there is no real harm or really any reason why someone would not want to or be allowed to put a list of original contents in their cache description so I feel there really isn't any need to give the advice. Discussing it in the forums is probably the best so as to allow people to make their own informed decisions and see what others have to say on the subject.

As a side note, we visited 8 caches yesterday afternoon. 6 of them had items to trade. Of those 6 caches, our group of seven people made 3 trades. In another cache we didn't make a trade, but left an item.

I've seen people list in the cache description the original contents of a cache, and I think I may have even done it before too, but not anytime recently and probably only a couple of time. Something to consider, if someone puts it on a note instead of on the cache page, after 5 logs it soon disappears off the cache page and after that no one will really notice it. By having it on the cache page itself, if anyone is interested, they can easily see\read what was originally in the cache and what is in it now and even compare it while in the field, especially since pocket queries only get you the 5 most recent logs, but the cache description is always there.

If anything, I like that you posted your idea in the forums for people to discuss and consider, but I don't think a reviewer note (if that is what your intention was) is a place for a reviewer to give their personal opinions. Perhaps a personalized email would be much better received. Besides, there is no real harm or really any reason why someone would not want to or be allowed to put a list of original contents in their cache description so I feel there really isn't any need to give the advice. Discussing it in the forums is probably the best so as to allow people to make their own informed decisions and see what others have to say on the subject.

As a side note, we visited 8 caches yesterday afternoon. 6 of them had items to trade. Of those 6 caches, our group of seven people made 3 trades. In another cache we didn't make a trade, but left an item.

It still happens often enough. In fact I used that template four times tonight alone. And the point of suggesting that they instead use a cache note was that it will push off the list after 5 new logs. Most trade items would typically be gone by that point anyway.

Reviewers are free to give their opinions or suggestions when it is beneficial whether it be in forums or as notes on listings. Many people appreciate the ideas or help. And yes, the point of the OP was to generate discussion on how to improve the content of the template.

It's good to hear that you and your friends are still doing trades. That is how the game started and helps keep trade item caches exciting. A well stocked and maintained cache is a real treat to find for many people.