Best Stroller for Geocaching

I was out caching with DBug and the Bitty One today and the stroller was a nightmare. Admitedly it was a Maclaren umbrella-style that was meant more for cruising through your local Mall than for hiking in the woods. I go caught on everything. The smallest rocks became as formidable an obsticle as gigantic boulders. So I'm on the way back to the car; bruised, sweaty and defeated, and I got to thinking. Is there a stroller that's made for rough terrian? If there isn't, then there probably isn't much of a market for it other than to wierdos like me. If there isn't... how would I go about building a large-wheeled independant suspension all-terrain stroller? Should I just leave the baby at home with his Daddy from now on? Will Lassie save Timmy from the rattlesnake???

I'm not trying to be a smarta** here, but ditch the stroller unless you plan on buying a three wheeled type all-terrain one with air filled tires, and even then you'll fight with it.

INSTEAD...go with a backpack type carrier. I highly recommend the Ergo or it's less expensive lookalike, the Patapum. We cache with our daughter who is now 3 in one and have done so since before she was a year old. It's lightweight and comfortable and she seems to love it. There are other models out there that look like regular backpacks and actually have frames, but for me those look heavy and uncomfortable to wear. Do a search on the forum for 'patapum' and you'll see a number of threads discussing them and the pro's and con's of other types of transport for the little ones.

For what it's worth, our 3 year old, who incidentally LOVES to cache, does pretty well walking to a lot of caches, even terrain levels of 1.5 and 2. It just requires patience, the occasional kiss to the booboo when she does stumble, and pappa to carry her if she gets too tired (or put her in the lightweight, easily stowable Patapum :( )

Good luck and enjoy, kids and caching are a great combination and our little one even hides caches in the house to find!

N :D

I was out caching with DBug and the Bitty One today and the stroller was a nightmare. Admitedly it was a Maclaren umbrella-style that was meant more for cruising through your local Mall than for hiking in the woods. I go caught on everything. The smallest rocks became as formidable an obsticle as gigantic boulders. So I'm on the way back to the car; bruised, sweaty and defeated, and I got to thinking. Is there a stroller that's made for rough terrian? If there isn't, then there probably isn't much of a market for it other than to wierdos like me. If there isn't... how would I go about building a large-wheeled independant suspension all-terrain stroller? Should I just leave the baby at home with his Daddy from now on? Will Lassie save Timmy from the rattlesnake???

We have a mountain buggy terrain - which has literally gone up mountains! It will go through deep mud, sand snow etc with no probs whatsoever. Sometimes suspension isn't always a great idea as it often gets clogged up with mud - instead, if the seat is suspended properly, this should absorb the bumps.

We also have two back carriers - a framed one - which also acts as a backpack made by bush baby and and Angel Pack soft carrier.

We change around depending on the type of walk we are doing and how up for carrying i feel!

We really like out Chariot Carrier system - converts from bike trailer to either three- or four-wheel stroller. We have used it as the four-wheel variety and pushed or pulled our little one over 2,000 miles. Our only "regret" is that at age 6 she's a bit too big for it (still had her out on bike trips at age 5). A bit salty expensive, maybe, but we'd call it worth every penny. http://www.chariotcarriers.com/

We managed without any sort of pushchair. They're all more fuss and faff than they're worth, carry the child rather than surplus weight around on wheels :laughing: