Best Stroller for Geocaching

I was out caching with DBug and the Bitty One today and the stroller was a nightmare. Admitedly it was a Maclaren umbrella-style that was meant more for cruising through your local Mall than for hiking in the woods. I go caught on everything. The smallest rocks became as formidable an obsticle as gigantic boulders. So I'm on the way back to the car; bruised, sweaty and defeated, and I got to thinking. Is there a stroller that's made for rough terrian? If there isn't, then there probably isn't much of a market for it other than to wierdos like me. If there isn't... how would I go about building a large-wheeled independant suspension all-terrain stroller? Should I just leave the baby at home with his Daddy from now on? Will Lassie save Timmy from the rattlesnake???

I'm not trying to be a smarta** here, but ditch the stroller unless you plan on buying a three wheeled type all-terrain one with air filled tires, and even then you'll fight with it.

INSTEAD...go with a backpack type carrier. I highly recommend the Ergo or it's less expensive lookalike, the Patapum. We cache with our daughter who is now 3 in one and have done so since before she was a year old. It's lightweight and comfortable and she seems to love it. There are other models out there that look like regular backpacks and actually have frames, but for me those look heavy and uncomfortable to wear. Do a search on the forum for 'patapum' and you'll see a number of threads discussing them and the pro's and con's of other types of transport for the little ones.

For what it's worth, our 3 year old, who incidentally LOVES to cache, does pretty well walking to a lot of caches, even terrain levels of 1.5 and 2. It just requires patience, the occasional kiss to the booboo when she does stumble, and pappa to carry her if she gets too tired (or put her in the lightweight, easily stowable Patapum :( )

Good luck and enjoy, kids and caching are a great combination and our little one even hides caches in the house to find!

N :D

Yeah, I've got 2 slings. I love them. And I left them on my dresser. I was totally beat when I got home this afternoon. Wish I had that jeep one, though, way more my speed than the Maclaren. I like the idea of a humvee, but I doubt that St Louis County would have appreciated me tearing all over their sculpture park!

I was out caching with DBug and the Bitty One today and the stroller was a nightmare. Admitedly it was a Maclaren umbrella-style that was meant more for cruising through your local Mall than for hiking in the woods. I go caught on everything. The smallest rocks became as formidable an obsticle as gigantic boulders. So I'm on the way back to the car; bruised, sweaty and defeated, and I got to thinking. Is there a stroller that's made for rough terrian? If there isn't, then there probably isn't much of a market for it other than to wierdos like me. If there isn't... how would I go about building a large-wheeled independant suspension all-terrain stroller? Should I just leave the baby at home with his Daddy from now on? Will Lassie save Timmy from the rattlesnake???

I have a Jeep "Jogging" stroller that I have taken on a few of our trips out and it works alright air filled wheels and spings on the back wheels. I however use my backpack way more often the Jeep stroller does not fold up very small and unless your going on long walks for your finds the back pack just is way less hassle. Plus the back back has a some storage for swag and an pen....

Hope this helps....

I do love my jeep stroller however.....

My wife and I use a Kelty kids carrier. It is great and our three year old daughter loves it. It is the kind with a frame and it is in no way uncomfortable. There is even an internal suspension on it to reduce the bouncing around when you are walking. You can even buy bug nets to completely enclose your child to keep the "biting things" away. Both my wife and I are able to carry it and my daughter is pushing 35 pounds right now. We are fairly new to GeoCaching, but we have been using this for my daughter since she could hold her head up. It still looks and works like new. Kelty sure knows how to make them. They seem a little pricey, but I assure you they are well worth the money.

This is the one I use for my granddaughter..

stroller01.jpg

Works great!

When our son was little we were doing more camping and hiking than geocaching (not around way back then). We used a backpack. I think someone mentioned Kelty and I think that's the brand we had. We really liked it. Check for one that has a 'kick stand' so you can stand it up, put the kid in, and then get it on your back. I could get my son in the backpack and on my back from the back of the minivan unassisted.

My brother travelled most of Europe in a backpack in the early '70s.

And my father took my son up on a roof in the backpack (Dad was a roofer and got an emergency call while he was babysitting and never thought twice about taking the kid up on the roof with him!).

jj001xsw_450.jpg

And - its a Jeep!!

I have used a jogging stroller like this one and it works great even on rough terrain. I wouldn't recommend going off of the trail too much but on the trails it worked well. Now I would be sure to strap your kid in nice and tight on the uphill/downhill terrain and it even has a strap that you put around your hand that insures that if you fall the stroller won't get away from you. I actually haven't used it with my 2 year old son yet but rather with a fairly heavy and large cache container that would have been tough to get the 3/4 mile hike to the cache site.

pic of Radio Flyer All Terrain Wagon snipped

I just to did a web search for Radio Flyer All Terrain wagon. I got back a gazillion hits. They sell them at Walmart. You can probably find a cache in the parking lot after you buy one.

I *used* to have a similar wagon but with fold down wire mesh on the sides (but also had large wheels). We used it to carry out recycling bin to the curb. I left it out one day when I was running late for work and someone stole it. We'll probably get another one, and a good cable lock.