Cache density

Hi all,

I'm very lucky as there are loads of caches in my area, 20 within 1 mile of my house!

I was wondering if there was any way to get an overview of cache density across the UK. This would show where hotspots were similar to the "weather map" that people have for their own finds perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Paul

P.s. what's the highest number of within 1 mile caches to your house? Excluding your own hides!!

I've 8 within a mile of my house, none of which are mine (any more) and one I've yet to find that's been out of action for a while... 20 inside a mile is pretty high for the UK, but not ultra high for some city centres.

There used to be an interactive map at the G:UK site but that's been down/gone for a while now. I know of no others; sorry. :D

Hi all,

I'm very lucky as there are loads of caches in my area, 20 within 1 mile of my house!

I was wondering if there was any way to get an overview of cache density across the UK. This would show where hotspots were similar to the "weather map" that people have for their own finds perhaps.

Any thoughts?

Paul

P.s. what's the highest number of within 1 mile caches to your house? Excluding your own hides!!

I'm planning a trip to London this Saturday, essentially to visit the Society of Genealogists, but hopefully to also log a few geocaches. I ran a "Pocket Query" using the post code of the SoG and got a list of 500 within less that five and a half miles!

I've got a picture of the UK from about 2002, but, being as thick as I am, I dunno how to upload it ;) (the insert image asks for a url and all that malarkey......why cant it just say 'upload image from hard drive'? :D )

If anyone can give step by step instructions on how to upload an image from my comp........I will share it!!!

Gaz

I've got a picture of the UK from about 2002, but, being as thick as I am, I dunno how to upload it :( (the insert image asks for a url and all that malarkey......why cant it just say 'upload image from hard drive'? :D )

If anyone can give step by step instructions on how to upload an image from my comp........I will share it!!!

Gaz

Two ways, drop me a note and I'll give you my e-mail address. I'll host it for you and send you the link.

Alternatively, it can be hosted (time limited) at http://imageshack.us

I've got a picture of the UK from about 2002, but, being as thick as I am, I dunno how to upload it :D (the insert image asks for a url and all that malarkey......why cant it just say 'upload image from hard drive'? :blink: )

Gaz

Two ways, drop me a note and I'll give you my e-mail address. I'll host it for you and send you the link.

Alternatively, it can be hosted (time limited) at http://imageshack.us

Thanks for that, but Simply Paul has beaten you to it!

Imageshack looks to be a good site, so I may use it in the future.

Gaz

I never received it though Gaz. Here's how to upload it somewhere:

Just add it to a log as an image if it's under 600 pixels wide. Then get the URL address link for the image by clicking on it, copy and paste it here using the image (tree) button in 'Add Reply' (it's not in Fast Reply) and you're all done :blink:

If you are just looking for somewhere to host files; pictures, binaries, etc. then I'd thoroughly recommend Dropbox (I use it to serve the map files I compile).

They give you 2GB of storage for FREE and there appears to be no bandwidth limit or time-out for files not accessed in the last n days. You can even have some files that are private/limited access and a seperate public area.

Been rock-solid too!

Here's a link: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMzNjc3MDk

Hope it helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

I never received it though Gaz. Here's how to upload it somewhere:

Just add it to a log as an image if it's under 600 pixels wide. Then get the URL address link for the image by clicking on it, copy and paste it here using the image (tree) button in 'Add Reply' (it's not in Fast Reply) and you're all done :)

If you are just looking for somewhere to host files; pictures, binaries, etc. then I'd thoroughly recommend Dropbox (I use it to serve the map files I compile).

They give you 2GB of storage for FREE and there appears to be no bandwidth limit or time-out for files not accessed in the last n days. You can even have some files that are private/limited access and a seperate public area.

Been rock-solid too!

Here's a link: https://www.getdropbox.com/referrals/NTMzNjc3MDk

Hope it helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for the help peeps, I will have a poke about and see if I can "master" it!!

Gaz

Edited to say the link I posted again was still wrong!!

I will work with Gaz to get this sorted, even if I end up hosting it on my dropbox (email sent to him).

Regards,

Martin

Right......we'll try again :D I've followed Martins instructions (I think :D ) , so the map is below!

map_HFIVGCOSICEJCUHG.jpg

Never was any good at this computer malarkey :D

Gaz

Edited by GAZ