Colorado firmware 2.95 Beta

Timpat

Go here for the Colorado 2.95 Beta firmware.

Changes made from version 2.94 to 2.95:

Fixed issue importing GPX files introduced in 2.94 beta. If updating from 2.94 beta, please remove any GPX files from the device before installing software.

Fixed issue navigating to points.

Edited by Timpat

Just as I suspected,they picked 2.95 to correct issues with 2.94 as they likely would have moved onto 2.96 had there been no issues. It will be interesting to see what additional features are in store with 2.96 and 2.98 before the final non-Beta version gets released as 3.0

I downloaded and then installed this update and all indications are that it's stable. We all have our own individual wish lists,for me if they were to add a Track Manager that permited the ablility to change the colour of saved tracks and an alternate text entry option such as that found on the Etrex I would be content. That is until Oregon and Dakota users get some other enhancement that could be applied to the Colorado.

So far all is fine. Waypoint averaging works great and you can now Go To the averaged waypoint without the unit powering down. All else seems to work as it should ... will keep testing various functions in the coming days. Thanks Garmin for making the fixes and improvements!

Just as I suspected,they picked 2.95 to correct issues with 2.94 as they likely would have moved onto 2.96 had there been no issues. It will be interesting to see what additional features are in store with 2.96 and 2.98 before the final non-Beta version gets released as 3.0

:D

2.95 seems fairly stable so far. I've used it for two days and no problems yet. It seems to be better on the batteries as well. 2.94 was a basket case and should never have been released. It cost me two days of my vacation and the loss of quite a few geocaches in four states.

2.95 seems fairly stable so far. I've used it for two days and no problems yet. It seems to be better on the batteries as well. 2.94 was a basket case and should never have been released. It cost me two days of my vacation and the loss of quite a few geocaches in four states.

To be kind to myself... I didn't have a lot of nice things to say about Garmin and their release of 2.94 prematurely.

2.95 it's only a correction of 2.94. For me, it has a very good aplication: you can enter the *img maps files, change the name and send another *.img file. It's nice can have all your maps in a simple img file in your pc and send to the gps or sd, only the maps you want.

Ugh, I'm so sick of people complaining about a beta release not working. It's beta, you install it at your own risk - they even tell you that. If you don't want to deal with bugs, don't install beta release firmware, it really is that simple.

I for one was thrilled with 2.94 even though it had its quirks... seeing the waypoint averaging app work so well was awesome. Now with 2.95 I feel I have everything I wanted in a GPS... keep up the GREAT work, Garmin!

Ugh, I'm so sick of people complaining about a beta release not working. It's beta, you install it at your own risk - they even tell you that. If you don't want to deal with bugs, don't install beta release firmware, it really is that simple.

I for one was thrilled with 2.94 even though it had its quirks... seeing the waypoint averaging app work so well was awesome. Now with 2.95 I feel I have everything I wanted in a GPS... keep up the GREAT work, Garmin!

Yes but i is nice to learn about any of those quirks before loading and discovering them yourself.

Now I would like to be able to select the color for my tracks. It isn't hard, one of the first things they fixed on the Oregon.

Yes but i is nice to learn about any of those quirks before loading and discovering them yourself.

The whole point of a beta is for you to be a tester, which involves discovering issues that others might not have run in to. That's why it's called beta testing. :unsure:

If you don't want to be a tester, you shouldn't install beta software updates. Thanks to all of you beta testers that help make the actual release more stable!

--Marky

I've got a couple of questions about img map files. I understand how it would be useful to have multiple img files on my Colorado (which had all kinds of problems running the 2.94 beta but appears fine with 2.95), but I don't know how to produce them. Mapsource produces (if I recall correctly) map files with a gdb extension.

How do we obtain img files, or convert gdb to img? And once we have the img files, should they be loaded into the "garmin" folder on the Colorado?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

I've got a couple of questions about img map files. I understand how it would be useful to have multiple img files on my Colorado (which had all kinds of problems running the 2.94 beta but appears fine with 2.95), but I don't know how to produce them. Mapsource produces (if I recall correctly) map files with a gdb extension.

How do we obtain img files, or convert gdb to img? And once we have the img files, should they be loaded into the "garmin" folder on the Colorado?

Jon,

If you save a Mapsource "instance" then you'll get gdb file by default. However if you use the map select tool and place map segment(s) into the Map tab on the left, then use Send to GPS, that file will be called gmapsupp.img, that's the img file you rename.

This release is pretty awesome, and I don't foresee a lot of problems - but the thread about the 2.94 release really got to me.

There's a difference between letting people know about a bug and whining that there is one :unsure:

Just saying.

Edited by XopherN71

The whole point of a beta is for you to be a tester, which involves discovering issues that others might not have run in to. That's why it's called beta testing. :unsure:

If you don't want to be a tester, you shouldn't install beta software updates. Thanks to all of you beta testers that help make the actual release more stable!

--Marky

Just saying it's nice to know ...before you jump in. That way at least you have a clue if you uncover an issue that is is already a known issue, if there is a work around or even that you are not the only one to see it.

I do agree that beta software is just that, lightly tested, and as such may well have a few bugs. As long as they don't brick the gps, can alweays downgrade the software. Hopefully it speeds the process up getting a stable non-beta release out.

After all, as an early Colorado adopter, I feel like I've been a beta tester from day one anyways.

Jon,

If you save a Mapsource "instance" then you'll get gdb file by default. However if you use the map select tool and place map segment(s) into the Map tab on the left, then use Send to GPS, that file will be called gmapsupp.img, that's the img file you rename.

Thank you! So if I want multiple img files, I would have to send them to the Colorado that way, then remove them, rename them on my computer and reload them in the Garmin folder? I guess it's not all that clunky for the convenience of having multiple img files, but there's no easier way?

Thank you! So if I want multiple img files, I would have to send them to the Colorado that way, then remove them, rename them on my computer and reload them in the Garmin folder? I guess it's not all that clunky for the convenience of having multiple img files, but there's no easier way?
I don't know, haven't tried 2.94/2.95 yet. Perhaps MapInstall (the replacement with BaseCamp for Mapsource) makes this all easier. Only the Colorado (OR?) allows *.img files so bit uncharted. Prior to 2.94 it was gmapsupp.img ONLY.

I'd take *.img as a glass half-full rather than half-empty.

The fastest way I've found to load multiple maps is to use a memory card reader/writer by first creating the maps in Mapsource and transfering them to the SD card. As each map is loaded onto the card you can rename it anything.img. It's so much faster (90%) than loading maps on the unit which is painfully slow. There is still likely to be a map segment limit of 4000. I currently have 4 seperate .img maps on the SD card and 1 on the unit.

After all, as an early Colorado adopter, I feel like I've been a beta tester from day one anyways.

I hear you there. My Colorado experiences have me a little shy about ever buying a newly released Garmin product (assuming I ever buy another Garmin). However, after the Triton 2000 debacle, the Colorado release seemed almost stable. :D

--Marky

2.95 appears to be a good release.

Is there documentation from Garmin on how the multiple .img feature is supposed to work?

I loaded and then renamed City Navigator states: Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California each as separate img files. I expected to see in the map selection the ability to turn on or off each state separately.

But there is only the single option of City Navigator North America.

Which is no different from before.

I still see the value of the feature, I just assumed each img would have it's own on/off toggle.

Is there documentation from Garmin on how the multiple .img feature is supposed to work?

I loaded and then renamed City Navigator states: Washington, Oregon, Idaho and California each as separate img files. I expected to see in the map selection the ability to turn on or off each state separately.

I still see the value of the feature, I just assumed each img would have it's own on/off toggle.

What's the problem?

As long as you have a 2GB card in your Colorado, you can download City Navigator for US, Puerto Rico, Canada ... and Alaska (yup I know it's US) to the Colorado ... just in one download!

There should be no problem in downloading the whole City Navigator maps just in one download. You don't have to pick areas or states.

So far so good here too. also hoping the shutdowns are fixed. with 2.94 was clicking to go to a cache and it would shut down when u looked at descriptions for me. (keeping fingers crossed and thanking Garmin for the quick beta update)

I now have to plug in the USB cable from my PC after I start the unit. Otherwise I get a shutdown. Before this upgrade it would start as soon as the cable was plugged in, and behaved as it should.

What's the problem?

As long as you have a 2GB card in your Colorado, you can download City Navigator for US, Puerto Rico, Canada ... and Alaska (yup I know it's US) to the Colorado ... just in one download!

There should be no problem in downloading the whole City Navigator maps just in one download. You don't have to pick areas or states.

It may speed up map redraws if the gps doesn't have to look at everything.

Loading a map set which is broken up into 50 different image files or loaded as one single file should produce the same results. On the GPS you still end up with one enable/disable switch for the entire map set NOT per file.

The advantage of this feature is the ability to incrementally add maps (eliminating the need to rebuild large map sets) and mix and match map sets.

I added 7,5 GB of maps to my Colorado just to test (using DEMO key)

This has to be 8000 to 10000 tiles.

Topo and BlueChart maps has lots of tiles.

All maps did show up in the menu, no hang.

That's interesting. I've was told by Garmin that the map segment limit would not increase with this change.

ALERT

There is a bug when you renaming a map.

If you rename it from gmapsupp.img to CNEU2010.img you can no longer search for POI on the maps.

Try to search for Street Address, and it ask you for a country. It does not show Norway/Denmark etc.

If you rename map back to gmapsupp.img all is ok.

This is tested on the SD card.

Map looks ok on the display and I did only have one map on the SD card.

Can any test this with City Navigator North America 2010

ALERT

There is a bug when you renaming a map.

If you rename it from gmapsupp.img to CNEU2010.img you can no longer search for POI on the maps.

Try to search for Street Address, and it ask you for a country. It does not show Norway/Denmark etc.

If you rename map back to gmapsupp.img all is ok.

This is tested on the SD card.

Map looks ok on the display and I did only have one map on the SD card.

Can any test this with City Navigator North America 2010

i searched for a poi this morning using 2010 and found it just fine.

routing actually seems to be much faster now.

This is probably the most stable my colorado has been in a long while.... loving the latest update!

Using 2.95 beta it locks up almost always when I am using a route and go off course.

Instead of recalculating it locks. Gotta pull the batteries.

last weekend when i went out i had a detour and it rerouted me just fine.

i have not intentionally gone off route yet to test however.

i have only had it lock up on boot a couple times... never during a route or cache.

Remember to make sure to post the bugs found to the e-mail listed when you downloaded the Beta release.

ColoradoBeta@garmin.com

So far the only trouble I've had was with the Waypoint Averaging function.

I had been going out on my front porch at different times, and when I was out there, I would average another sample in, for the same place, to see how much it changed from day to day.

This morning I was trying add another sample in, but the satellite constellation was bad, and the sample confidence would not go about 6%, even after several minutes. It just went up and down between 3% and 6%. I got bored with waiting, so I hit "back" to exit out. When I did that, it deleted the waypoint completely.

Although I lost my waypoint, I was glad to see that the sample confidence meter is there for more than just show. It actually seemed to be showing that it was having a hard time getting a good average during a time of bad constellation.

Sometimes mine will just shut down completely when I go off course. I guess it's my Colorado's way of saying, "Well, if you're not going to listen to me, I'm just going to go to sleep then. Find your way by yourself, sucker!"

Using 2.95 beta it locks up almost always when I am using a route and go off course.

Sometimes mine will just shut down completely when I go off course. I guess it's my Colorado's way of saying, "Well, if you're not going to listen to me, I'm just going to go to sleep then. Find your way by yourself, sucker!"

Which firmware are you using? Mine did something similar with (I think) 2.92 BETA.

Which firmware are you using? Mine did something similar with (I think) 2.92 BETA.

???

Sometimes I am sleepy and can't get the brain cells to rub together.

<_<

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the listed improvement, "Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory".

I use MapEdit to create transparent custom map .img coverages and then copy/paste them into my CO 300 internal Garmin/GPX folder. This works fine although multiple maps end up in a single mapset listing so I can only turn On/Off a group of my custom maps. For example if I have; "Tims Trails, Snowmobile Trails, and GridMap" imgs they all are in a mapset called "cgpsmapper" in this case.

I was wondering if there is a way to have individual custom maps loaded to be able to toggle On/Off individual custom maps to be show or not?

I'm still a bit fuzzy on the listed improvement, "Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory".

I use MapEdit to create transparent custom map .img coverages and then copy/paste them into my CO 300 internal Garmin/GPX folder. This works fine although multiple maps end up in a single mapset listing so I can only turn On/Off a group of my custom maps. For example if I have; "Tims Trails, Snowmobile Trails, and GridMap" imgs they all are in a mapset called "cgpsmapper" in this case.

I was wondering if there is a way to have individual custom maps loaded to be able to toggle On/Off individual custom maps to be show or not?

I had the same problem. I broke down the maps by state, but the CO lists it all under one on the list. When I select/deselect, unit shuts off.

Edited by jbuffethed