Will Groundspeak accept a cache here?

Is there a way I can go about checking with Groundspeak as to whether a cache location is suitable (or whether it violates private property rules according to their mapping software) without actually trying to list a profile for such a cache?

I want to place a cache at N 43° 06.616 W 079° 11.952 (check it out on Google Earth) which is an old, abandoned breakwall with various doorways and passages leading in and out. I assume this is part of the St. Lawrence Seaway Authority, but there are all kinds of caches on their property. Will this immediately be denied because the nature of the location isn't, say, in the middle of a forest?

Sounds like a very cool site, but I agree... you need to check with your reviewer, at least. Got any photographs of the site?

I see that the nearest cache to those coordinates, GC12WY3, has a link to the Ontario Geocaching Association They may be a good resource for that sort of information as well.

The Welland Recreational Waterway is managed by the Welland Recreational Canal Corporation, according to Wikipedia.

Edited by knowschad

Will this immediately be denied because the nature of the location isn't, say, in the middle of a forest?

Not for that reason, no. I would recommend reading the guidelines for hiding a cache before you start thinking about hiding anything though.

Will this immediately be denied because the nature of the location isn't, say, in the middle of a forest?

Not for that reason, no. I would recommend reading the guidelines for hiding a cache before you start thinking about hiding anything though.

The OP not only has 10 hides already, but from the sounds of them, 10 very cool locations! I wanna do them! :(

It appears to be some sort of access road out to the canal system. A bit hard to tell whether there are restrictions, but I'm assuming you didn't have to jump any fences or disobey any signage to get there :(

I think I'd start with the local Forums to get some input from the local Geocaching Community that might have some insight on access and/or restrictions to the area. Failing that, I'd probably ask the local Reviewer, who would have access to any previous Listings (unseen by you), that may have had some issues to alert them of some potential issues.

Good luck! Looks like an awesome spot :D

The OP not only has 10 hides already, but from the sounds of them, 10 very cool locations! I wanna do them! :D

I agree. They sound like, "Let's go exploring and not worry about how many we find that day" types where you just want to get there and keep checking things out.