GE KML Redesign

OpinioNate

So if the "200" users of the old KML had followed the advice of some to "just shut up and accept that it is gone forever", would it have ever come back?

Time to move on. These things are in the past and should be left there. The future lies ahead.

Can we drop the angst now?

We lost something, we got annoyed, we complained, we complained some more, they listened and the lost feature is coming back. No need for bickering about it any more, just be pleased...

No angst here. I'll be extremely pleased once they flip that switch.

The "I'm one of 200" line will probably go down in history just like "Why does my post say Ringbone?". When you can tell someone has not actually read a topic before commenting on it, you can ask them "were you one of the 200?".

:(:D:):)

Edited by mtn-man

I was extremely disappointed in the fact that the original .KML was discontinued but I felt there was no reason to complain about it, the powers that be felt the need to discontinue the program what could I do? :(

However this new information makes me very excited and I must thank you for working so hard to bring it back!! I use Google earth and the .kml a lot to plan road trips and vacations based on geocaches, So BROVO and thank you. :D:):)

Just a suggestion -- i prefer the smaller icons which GoogleEarthTweaker provides. The large icons as above block out a lot of the map.

(to see the smaller icons, run a GPX file through GoogleEarthTweaker with 'small icons' checked and open the kml with google earth)

-Ben

Yesterday evening I played around with GoogleEarth Tweaker to see what the small icons look like. The icons did not change but I left it at that, but this morning all my geocaching icons are such skinny tiny orange blocks and I cannot seem to get the old style back. I tried loading a gpx file, also tried the tweaker kml with "small icon" box ticked and unticked, but the icons don't want to hange to those nice big green "eyes" I am used to.

Please, how to I get them back?

PS: Many thanks from myself concerning the return og GE kml.

Is this going to give the exact coordinates or still have the inherent randomisation? Just wondered since it seems like you're going to have more control over who's accessing it(tying it to PM / Non PM) Would an option be for PM that they get the proper coords? It's surely less processing for you to not have to add/subtract a certain percentage from the coords

Is this going to give the exact coordinates or still have the inherent randomisation? Just wondered since it seems like you're going to have more control over who's accessing it(tying it to PM / Non PM) Would an option be for PM that they get the proper coords? It's surely less processing for you to not have to add/subtract a certain percentage from the coords

Answered in post #21 and #28.

Answered in post #21 and #28.

Fair enough I didn't understand that to be referring to the accuracy of the coordinates :(

Raine has been working hard, including spending his own time, to rush a replacement service to production and is at a point where he feels it can be released to the live site.

Great! Thanks for listening and acting.

I'm not using it very often but it was and hopefully will be a very valuable tool for quickly exploring an area.

Oh! Another of those 200 here, looking for the link to download the new file, but can't see it where it use to be before. Where can I find it now, please?

From the opening post

We anticipate releasing this next week with the regular monthly code release, provided nothing exciting (read: catastrophic) happens between now and then.
Hasn't been a week yet. :(

Oh! Another of those 200 here, looking for the link to download the new file, but can't see it where it use to be before. Where can I find it now, please?

yup... another of the 200 here... I will be very glad to see this thing working again! It's so much easier to plan trips to another country or region!

Thank you! I have been unhappy with the lost feature, and was considering not renewing my membership. Any word on how many refreshes for members? Maybe the limit could be weekly or monthly, since I imagine most people's usage varies greatly from day to day. Like roll-over minutes.

It seems like some are actually using a demo of the new kml. Is that the case? If so, where can one find this demo?

We're leaving for Yellowstone Friday. If there isn't a demo of the kml, is there any chance one could be posted in the relatively near future? :D

Thanks!

It seems like some are actually using a demo of the new kml. Is that the case? If so, where can one find this demo?

We're leaving for Yellowstone Friday. If there isn't a demo of the kml, is there any chance one could be posted in the relatively near future? :D

Thanks!

I suspect that what you are seeing is people unzipping their PQs and opening them with GE. This may help you some with the trip to Yellowstone.

Thanks!

I'm very sorry, but you'll have to wait until next week to try out the new version. I hope you have a nice trip!

Thank you! I have been unhappy with the lost feature, and was considering not renewing my membership. Any word on how many refreshes for members? Maybe the limit could be weekly or monthly, since I imagine most people's usage varies greatly from day to day. Like roll-over minutes.

We haven't yet decided what the limit will be.

is at a point where he feels it can be released to the live site.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This Google Earth -link has been a wonderful help to me when planning for the geocaching trips abroad. I have felt like crippled without it. Please bring it back as soon as possible!

Edited by sikajack
is at a point where he feels it can be released to the live site.
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

This Google Earth -link has been a wonderful help to me when planning for the geocaching trips abroad. I have feel like crippled without it. Please bring it back as soon as possible!

The least you could do is show the folks a little appreciation. :D

Again thanks for the efforts and thanks for the heads up on what is coming! I'm sure the feature will be greatly appreciated. I was never a big user of the feature, but many times it was nice to have, and I did miss it. I will be glad to see it come back. Thank you Raine for your hard and dedicated work and thank you OpinioNate for the information. I look forward to giving the newest release a test drive.

Jim

I simply ditto Jim's words above. They would be just as my own. Thank you Raine for even working on your free time.

How about that customer service!

Again thanks for the efforts and thanks for the heads up on what is coming! I'm sure the feature will be greatly appreciated. I was never a big user of the feature, but many times it was nice to have, and I did miss it. I will be glad to see it come back. Thank you Raine for your hard and dedicated work and thank you OpinioNate for the information. I look forward to giving the newest release a test drive.

Jim

I simply ditto Jim's words above. They would be just as my own. Thank you Raine for even working on your free time.

How about that customer service!

Outstanding!thumbsup.gif

I was only an occasional user of the KML feature. I did find it useful if I was going to an area that was off of my normal track. Google maps did an acceptable job for my usual purposes, but I will be glad to see the other return. Thanks.

Now to stir the pot ;)

Please restore the ability to see into the past without laborous hunts for unmaintained bookmark lists and the records of cachers who have been here since the early 1800s. Yep, its a call for the return of the ability to see archived caches. I really, really would like to know about caches that had trouble before I place one in the same spot, etc. It could tell me why a great park has no caches, that sort of thing. Besides, history is just fun.

(well it worked for GE :D )

Viajero Perdido: A few of the changes "under the hood" are:

New KML rendering library.

SQL specific tweaks like CTE's, indexs with included columns.

And a few other things that we want to keep secret :P

-Raine

Raine,

Thanks for all your hard work. I'm really looking forward to getting my KML's back.

I hope you get a big raise and have many happy birthdays. (without getting older, that is)

Oh! Did I say THANK YOU! :unsure:

We're leaving for Yellowstone Friday. If there isn't a demo of the kml, is there any chance one could be posted in the relatively near future? :unsure:

Thanks!

I'm very sorry, but you'll have to wait until next week to try out the new version. I hope you have a nice trip!

Nate, that's mighty kind of you to wish us well. I found a "workaround" in using the internal maps to geocaching.com. semi-similar, just a little more cumbersome.

looking forward to the new kml next week! or whenever. :P

The content in the info bubble will change until we release as I test for performance on returning more data.

-Raine

Thank you very much for working on an alternative solution for the KML situation. I/We are very appreciative and extremely impressed by your hard work, dedication and devotion to geocachers and the Geocaching community.

You deserve a big pat on the back!!!

Thanks again.