Slippery Slope

Since the admins took away my fun of reading all the humor on the "new law" thread, I want some more humor.

Last Week, I was caching after a strong rain and it was on a SLIPPERY SLOPE. Luckily, my wife had the GPS so I was able to grab a pine branch before falling off the 20 foot drop. Dang slippery slopes. Nike's are not made for Rocky Mountain Hiking! From now on, Hiking Boots for me when on a SLIPPERY SLOPE!

I was out once after a rain (durp, this is Oregon, it's ALWAYS after a rain!), and one of the caches ended up being on the back side of a tree near a park, but on the side with a pretty steep grade and wet leaves all over it. i got the cache, but my DC skate shoes did NOT do well there! Now I have some Nevado hiking shoes, and I put them through the wringer on a recent cache run off of logging roads, and they worked great, a definite must have for caching!

Hiking boots are on my shopping list for this weekend. My wife knew I wanted a pair so she stopped in the local outdoor adventure shop and told the clerk that I wanted hiking boots for Geocaching. The clerk claimed to be a cacher and told her that I did not need boots because hiking shoes would be more comfortable and Geocaching does not require any difficult hiking.

Now I do have my share of 1.5/1.5 caches in my found list but I also have some that required significant bushwacking and walks across marshy areas. I think boots are the better choice.

I wonder what kind of caches the young clerk from the outdoor adventure store seeks.

Hiking boots are on my shopping list for this weekend. My wife knew I wanted a pair so she stopped in the local outdoor adventure shop and told the clerk that I wanted hiking boots for Geocaching. The clerk claimed to be a cacher and told her that I did not need boots because hiking shoes would be more comfortable and Geocaching does not require any difficult hiking.

Now I do have my share of 1.5/1.5 caches in my found list but I also have some that required significant bushwacking and walks across marshy areas. I think boots are the better choice.

I wonder what kind of caches the young clerk from the outdoor adventure store seeks.

We received the same advice, but in our case the clerks had never heard of geocaching. We ended up with North Face Hedgehog GTX XCR and we love them. They're goretex lined so our feet stay dry and they grip the ground quite well.

Carolyn

I was out once after a rain (durp, this is Oregon, it's ALWAYS after a rain!), and one of the caches ended up being on the back side of a tree near a park, but on the side with a pretty steep grade and wet leaves all over it. i got the cache, but my DC skate shoes did NOT do well there! Now I have some Nevado hiking shoes, and I put them through the wringer on a recent cache run off of logging roads, and they worked great, a definite must have for caching!

I picked up a pair of Merrell trail shoes about 2 months ago and haven't regretted it for an instant. My hiking boots are too heavy for casual summer wear, and sneakers aren't robust enough. The trail shoes aren't waterproof, but in the summer I see waterproof as a convenience (the tradeoff is they're better ventilated than they would be if they were waterproof), not a must-have like it is in winter.

I've already done quite a few caches that I wouldn't considered with plain sneakers.

My hiking boots are too heavy for casual summer wear, and sneakers aren't robust enough. The trail shoes aren't waterproof, .......

I have some Asolo hiking shoes, and they're great. My feet never get wet, even though they're the best ventilated shoes I've ever owned. They weigh almost nothing as well!