Internet cafe on Isle of Wight

picona

HI we are going caching on Isle of Wight in september can anyone tell me the best place for internet access. We do not have a laptop yet and would like to log and get cache details as we go. :D

It would probably work out cheaper and easier to get a pay-as-you-go 3G USB dongle instead.

T-Mobile ones can be had for under 30 quid and you pay either 2 quid a day, 10 quid a week or 15 quid a month to use it.

That way you can log from anywhere with a reasonable signal.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

HI we are going caching on Isle of Wight in september can anyone tell me the best place for internet access. We do not have a laptop yet and would like to log and get cache details as we go. :D

It would probably work out cheaper and easier to get a pay-as-you-go 3G USB dongle instead.

T-Mobile ones can be had for under 30 quid and you pay either 2 quid a day, 10 quid a week or 15 quid a month to use it.

That way you can log from anywhere with a reasonable signal.

Regards,

Martin

I've been comparing the various 'pay-as-you-go' options from different mobile broadband suppliers. As I would only be using it in-frequently, I don't like the idea of paying a fixed amount every month or loosing any credit after 30 days so the Vodafone option would seem to be best suited to my requirements. One question.... Very approximately, how many cache logs can I submit before I use up the 1Gb of bandwidth that £15 will buy me?

If you're wanting it for a short amount of time, there's a good offer i'm going to take up in a few weeks.

For those of you who haven't heard of it, there's a website called quidco (www.quidco.com) where you can get cash back on purchases made online. Recently one popped up for o2 - buy a 3g wireless usb thingy (£30) and put £15 on which gets you a month of usage (either 3 or 15 gig if i remember) and you get £45 cashback, making it free! The only "catch" is you have to put the £15 on within 30 days of buying the thing, so I'm gonna buy one soon and then put the £15 on after I get back from Italy :D

Also, quidco take the first £5 you earn, so if you don't use it already you'll get £40 back - still I always check on qudico before I make an online purchase and have made 40 or 50 quid this year so far :laughing:

Going back to the original question though, the OP mentions they don't have a laptop so a USB modem won't be of any use :D

I've been comparing the various 'pay-as-you-go' options from different mobile broadband suppliers. As I would only be using it in-frequently, I don't like the idea of paying a fixed amount every month or loosing any credit after 30 days so the Vodafone option would seem to be best suited to my requirements. One question.... Very approximately, how many cache logs can I submit before I use up the 1Gb of bandwidth that £15 will buy me?

I use a T-Mobile one and have never once been out of coverage when travelling around the UK (although it's not always 3G). You don't have to pay a fixed regular amount (you just pay for one day at a time at £2, which is deducted from your pre-paid account) and there's no restriction on bandwidth, so you can log as many caches as you like (or watch as much iplayer as you want!). It doesn't expire either (I'm told).

I use a T-Mobile one and have never once been out of coverage when travelling around the UK (although it's not always 3G). You don't have to pay a fixed regular amount (you just pay for one day at a time at £2, which is deducted from your pre-paid account) and there's no restriction on bandwidth, so you can log as many caches as you like (or watch as much iplayer as you want!). It doesn't expire either (I'm told).

Mine hasn't expired yet, but you do have to use it at least once in every six months. The other good thing is that they [T-Mobile] don't have a hard-limit like most of the other vendors, so once in a while you can exceed the quota without penalty.

I am supposedly in an area with no 3G coverage, but it works fine, and it is 3G too :D

Oh, and it works on my Acer Aspire One netbook too (Windows XP)

Edited by talkytoaster

QUOTE(gse1986 @ Jul 21 2009, 04:59 AM)

Going back to the original question though, the OP mentions they don't have a laptop so a USB modem won't be of any use

Hmmmm I read that as if they were suggesting that they were going to get one, hence my reply. If that is not the case, then please disregard my suggestion

Mine hasn't expired yet, but you do have to use it at least once in every six months. The other good thing is that they [T-Mobile] don't have a hard-limit like most of the other vendors, so once in a while you can exceed the quota without penalty.

I am supposedly in an area with no 3G coverage, but it works fine, and it is 3G too :D

Oh, and it works on my Acer Aspire One netbook too (Windows XP)

I dodn't think of it that way...we'll see.

Do you use your Acer with GSAK by any chance and does it handle it OK? I've been thinking of getting a netbook as my mobile can't hold a decent sized database and laptops too big to always put in the car....

Do you use your Acer with GSAK by any chance and does it handle it OK? I've been thinking of getting a netbook as my mobile can't hold a decent sized database and laptops too big to always put in the car....

Yes, I use GSAK (latest version) on it and it works fine. The only issue I found with the original Acer Aspire One A150 (8.9" Screen) was the battery life, so I got a 9 cell replacement battery, this give me up to 12 hours of power (using WIFI or 3G will cut that in half).

Mine came with 512MB memory, but I ugraded it to 1.5GB (not recommended as it is very fiddly, open heart surgery required), 160GB HD. Screen is fine, keyboard is better than most netbook ones.

You don't fancy a trip to the Isle of Wight to see if it works there too? :D

I will be over there sometime in August as I have family there, I'll test it then, if you can wait that long? :D

I'm going late September, so yes, I can wait. I was planning on taking the laptop and using the campsites wireless, but that would be a bit pricey!

We have been looking into 3G dongel from vodafone for home pc but 3G has yet to reach us so has normal broadband.We want a laptop but to many out goings at moment just can not find the cash.I Proberly did not say it well we were wondering if there are internet cafes. people log from phone not worked that one out.May see you over there Stokesy we going in late sept to.

We have been looking into 3G dongel from vodafone for home pc but 3G has yet to reach us so has normal broadband.We want a laptop but to many out goings at moment just can not find the cash.I Proberly did not say it well we were wondering if there are internet cafes. people log from phone not worked that one out.May see you over there Stokesy we going in late sept to.

OK, well in that case Google is your friend, try this link: http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&a...mp;aq=f&oq=

Regards,

Martin

Even the most basic mobile phone can be used for internet access inc. geocaching.com. I have O2 and there is no charge if I don't use it and very reasonable if I do (capped at £1 a day).

The easiest way is to download opera mini to your mobile.

It's a bit slow and fiddly but fine for ocasional use.

If you can download a packet query to your GPS and use that in conjunction with a phone it works very well.

Hi,

I'm on the island and to be honest the easiest place i know of is, tragically, MacDonalds - in Newport center and outskirts of Ryde. They have free wifi with easy log in and if you park close enough (in Ryde) you don't even have to go inside!

If you are with BT internet you can use the hotspots around peoples houses once you've registered or there are several pubs that have free wifi too. Use BTs web site to find The Cloud hotspots to see if there's one near where you are staying.

There have been several internet cafes on the island but as far as i know they have all come and gone. If i hear any different in the next few weeks i'll post it here.

Dongles all work over here but some better than others, O2, vodafone and 3 are the best with T mobile the worst. We have very patchy 3G and generally if you're in Newport or on the north coast and in sight of the mainland you can get some form of get it but it's sooo much slower than wifi. For a decent idea again see if you can find the coverage map on each providers web site.

Happy hunting

Slow

Sorry i committed the cardinal sin of not reading the OP properly and got distracted by the replies about dongles and laptops!

IoW council libraries are your best bet. It's about a couple of quid for an hour i think. Most of the towns have one too with reasonable opening times.

On the phone side, i now use mobile internet from the phone and it does work but is slow due to the lack of 3G. I've found the Trimble navigator works well although if you can't get it to download the live info once you're out and about you are stuffed without a hard copy!

Cheers

Slow