Avoiding FTF Advantage To Premium Members

When caches are placed, it is my understanding that Premium Members get advanced notices of same and are usually the ones who are the first to find so many caches. Are there any rules or guidelines which would prohibit someone from listing a new cache with a statement that clearly mentions that the cache will not be put in place until five days after the reviewer publishes it? The amount of time delay is not important; the intent is to give all geocachers a more level playing field when it comes to being the first one to find the cache. Bicyclist.

Are there any rules or guidelines which would prohibit someone from listing a new cache with a statement that clearly mentions that the cache will not be put in place until five days after the reviewer publishes it?

Matter of fact, there is. The Cache Listing Guidelines state:

Your cache should be in place and ready to hunt at the time your cache page is submitted for review,
and, as far as I know, reviewers will not publish a cache until the owner indicates that it is active, i.e., in place.
it is my understanding that Premium Members get advanced notices

Your understanding is wrong. Premium Members can set up notifications to receive Publish logs. There's nothing "advance" about it. The notification goes out when the cache is Published, not "in advance". Caches must be in place at the time of publication.

You can see new caches at the same time as a Premium Member, no sooner, ie when they are published. You'll have to work harder to be aware of new caches.

Here is a Knowledgebase Article on finding Newest Caches Near Me.

Finally, if FTF is important to you, consider paying for Premium Membership, so you can receive notifications as well.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
When caches are placed, it is my understanding that Premium Members get advanced notices of same and are usually the ones who are the first to find so many caches. Are there any rules or guidelines which would prohibit someone from listing a new cache with a statement that clearly mentions that the cache will not be put in place until five days after the reviewer publishes it? The amount of time delay is not important; the intent is to give all geocachers a more level playing field when it comes to being the first one to find the cache. Bicyclist.

You can level the playing field without making someone else bend the rules to suite you. Buy a membership.

Edit for spelling

Edited by Wooden Cyclist

I've never agreed with the entitlement mentality that other cachers deserve FTF rewards because they aren't premium members, or because they don't want to get up at 1:00 am to beat the local FTF hound. What you're asking for is the same thing as affirmative action. You can't win with the current playing field so you want to handicap everyone else just so you can be FTF. Who could be proud of that?

FTF obsessed?, should there be a guideline for FTF?

Restricted Caches, Is it ok to restrict who finds a cache

As someone who geocached before the new cache notification was created, I would like the option to "opt out" of my caches being added to the notification. It has nothing to do with leveling the playing field for FTF.

Wow. OP - is this a troll or are you seriously suggesting that because you choose not to become a premium member that premium members should have their perks taken away from them? I am floored by how incredibly whiney your post is.

Go pony up the $30 (DIRT cheap, by the way) and program your notification if you want to get the word sent to you. Holy crap. That's just disgusting.

Wow. OP - is this a troll or are you seriously suggesting that because you choose not to become a premium member that premium members should have their perks taken away from them? I am floored by how incredibly whiney your post is.

Go pony up the $30 (DIRT cheap, by the way) and program your notification if you want to get the word sent to you. Holy crap. That's just disgusting.

..relax Gimpy. :D This is for discussion..not anger. :D

Others have already listed valid reasons why your idea will not work.

But don't worry, there are other ways to negate the Instant Notification "advantage":

- Make it a hard puzzle. Most (not all) FTF hounds are in it for the quick numbers, and would pass on having to solve a puzzle before dashing out the door. That definitely works where I live.

- Make it a hard hide. There's a 5-star near me that's still unfound after several weeks.

- Hide a cache in a rural area a loooong way from the center of FTF activity. Nothing like a 50-mile drive to make that FTF hound hesitate.

- Post the coordinates somewhere other than Geocaching.com first. This can be a competing website, local/regional forum, these forums, a cork bulletin board at your local supermarket, or just send emails to your friends. If you do this, though, be aware that the whines of the local FTF hounds will reach a deafening level.

And FWIW, most of my FTF's were done without the benefit of instant notification. Some were found before I started receiving IN's, and some were difficult puzzles a long way out of town that I solved before the locals.

I've had three FTFs, and I've never used the notification feature. If I can do it without notifications, then basic members can do it.

I've got 20 FTF's. None were done with instant notification. I did not use any premium perks to get these FTF's. It can be done.

Jim

Edited by jholly

..relax Gimpy. :D This is for discussion..not anger. :D

THANKS you're right - I appreciate the "relax". Boy. That just apparently poked me the wrong way! :laughing: I feel better now. I'm ready to go drive 50 miels for a FTF!!!!

Also, just want to say that even having notifications set up doesn't mean everyone gets them at the same time because there can be delays in emails, because of network traffic and things like that.

The only true way to be guaranteed in knowing of a cache being published is to check the new cache page listings for your state.

Also, just want to say that even having notifications set up doesn't mean everyone gets them at the same time because there can be delays in emails, because of network traffic and things like that.

The only true way to be guaranteed in knowing of a cache being published is to check the new cache page listings for your state.

This is SO TRUE. My husband and I both get the notifications - sometimes it will be hours between the time we each get the notice and sometimes we will each get them within seconds. No rhyme or reason.

Both of the FTFs that I have had the pleasure of being a COFTFer on have not come from INs but rather just being in the right place at the right time.

The first FTF was published on a Sunday around noonish and we were out Monday evening doing that area and lo and behold when we got to it we were FTF.

Same with yesterday, well almost. The cache was published around the 4th or so, other caches in that area had been found as late as 12/13th and here we come on the 20th and FTF it. Now granted it was the last cache on a 2 mile hike, and half a mile from the previous cache, but still... what's a half mile when a cache is involved and it's on a marked trail?? :(

So INs and FTFs don't necessarily go hand in hand unless it's in town. Take a good close look at those with many FTFs and you'll discover that most are quick in-town caches. The ones that last longer are out in the boonies, harder to get to, and (IMHO) more fun overall.

Really. So, now who is going to give me a new one so that I can get my instant notifications and go after FTF's again? It's just not fair!

My cellphone does not have a dataplan. And even worse, some cachers have been known to place new ones when I am out of town, thereby depriving me of a chance to sign a blank log.

But there was one cache that was placed in a museum that was only open certain hours. So at the appointed time, six or eight of us showed up for an unofficial caching event. That kind of thing equalizes the playfield. And if a cache is published at night on a trail that is only open to the day, that again equalizes things unless the true FTF mavens get out their headlamps and go for it anyway.

All of which are reasons why I consider that such finds are accidents in geography, time, and personal circumstances. Perhaps I should add finances to the list. But none of thatis something to get too excited about or take undue credit when it happens. So become a premium member. Work very flexible hours if at all. Get a good dataplan. Or not.

huh, 126 FTF's and none of them from noticications but checking the new cache page or seeing them pop up on the local map. This even includes the one or two I've shot out the door for.

But the 50 mile trips for a string of FTF's that have been published for a week is priceless.

Now, to business at hand. To sound very elitist, why can't Premium members get advanced notice? Groundspeak should research and inpliment the set up of a singularity conduit and have the notifications go out the day before the cache is placed. Then Premium members can be waiting for the CO to come place the hide, making sure the FTF is garanteed.

huh, 126 FTF's and none of them from noticications but checking the new cache page or seeing them pop up on the local map. This even includes the one or two I've shot out the door for.

But the 50 mile trips for a string of FTF's that have been published for a week is priceless.

Now, to business at hand. To sound very elitist, why can't Premium members get advanced notice? Groundspeak should research and inpliment the set up of a singularity conduit and have the notifications go out the day before the cache is placed. Then Premium members can be waiting for the CO to come place the hide, making sure the FTF is garanteed.

Well you are welcome to go for my sons cache. It's been 4 days so far and no FTF yet.

~LOL~

No, I am not trolling, I at no time suggested that premium members have their perks taken away from them, and I don't think there was any whining on my part. I was not suggesting that anyone should or should not become a premium member. Premium members have the option of listing their own caches for premium member only or for all members. I can understand that. It is their cache, and they have the right to decide for whom they want to list it and to whom they want to exclude from it.

With the same understanding in mind, I was wondering if a non-premium member could list his own cache in such a way that would allow more of an opportunity to other people who are not the same ones who are the usual first to find cachers. Let's face it, here in South Central Pennsylvania, most caches are first found by a rather small group of people who work very hard to be the FTF, and they are almost always premium members.

Again, I did not suggest that premium members not be given email notice of new caches. I simply asked if there was a way to open first to find opportunities to more people rather than the same few who are the usual first to find people. Not whining - just wondering.

J-Way provided some useful ideas oh how to "negate the Instant Notification advantage." He suggested that making it a hard puzzle or a hard hide would cause most FTF hounds to pass on these since most are in it for the quick numbers. Another alternative he mentioned was to post the coordinates elsewhere first or just notify your friends via email before listing with Geocaching.com.

I didn't even know there were any other sites other than Geocaching.com, so I am not inclined to go that route. Maybe the puzzle cache may be a good idea. Bicyclist.

And where would you stand if a premium member was FTF and did *not* use the instant notify? Every one has the same shot at a FTF some just go out in the middle of the night to sign the log.

Make it a hard puzzle and you will get maybe three visits a year.

Hard hide? I don't think so. I was STF on one hide that was about 300 feet from the posted co-ordinates. I wasn't first to find because I went at 9:30am, not 7:30am. I have gone and looked for hard hides for a FTF, so that is not the real solution. Those that are driven to get FTF numbers will put in what work is needed. How about putting the cache at the end of a 10 mile hike over some rough terrain. You might get the FTF a year later.

Don't worry about who gets FTF, worry about is it a hide that people enjoy or is it a hide where TNLNSL is the log of choice.

Jim

I didn't even know there were any other sites other than Geocaching.com, so I am not inclined to go that route.

Well, that's about the only way you are going to level the playing field. If you list your cache with GC.com, premium members who have IN set up WILL get a head start on finding your cache first. A guy could be sitting in the park you hid your cache having a picnic, the notification hits his cell-phone, he visits the cache page, nabs the coords, loads them into his GPS and off he goes. It could be minutes after publication and he's signing the log.

Remember, this is YOUR cache. Geocaching.com is just a listing service. If you want to give out the coordinates to your cache via email or take out a classified ad in the newspaper, put it on craigslist or just scotch tape a scrap of paper with the coords onto a shop window rather than have it published on this site...that's up to you. You just won't have the traffic and interface that GC.com supplies. But, if it's published on this site, expect the same small group of cachers to be the FTF.

Bruce

I was wondering if a non-premium member could list his own cache in such a way that would allow more of an opportunity to other people who are not the same ones who are the usual first to find cachers.

If you hide it up a tree, only those who can climb it will find it. :D

If you hide it on an island, only those with access to a boat will find it. :)

If you hide it halfway up a cliff, only climbers will find it. :)

If you hide it at Gitmo, only service personel will find it :(

I have seen or read of examples of all of these hides, and I'd imagine that any of these, and any similar types of hide, will result in someone other than the usual suspects having a chance of being FTF.

Sometimes, if asked nicely, a reviewer will publish a cache on a specific day or time, so if a cache is published whilst the majority of FTFers are at work. This might just allow someone else a crack at the FTF (but then again might not!)...

What you cannot do, however, is impose an additional logging requirement that seeks to arbitrarily exclude the FTF hounds!

Good luck in your quest,

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

Why would it matter who finds it first? We are all geocachers. 30 bucks a year to get a text message to my phone when a cache is published well worth it. Why would a regular member want to take that away?

how do you get the text messages?

using my little geomate jr puts me at a disadvantage for being a FTF (which i desperately want to call F2F cuz that makes sense in my head!!) since it won't even show up in my little unit. I can attempt it via coords, but, i'd still have to have access to my computer to figure out where to start!

I guess Im still a newbie.... not hard-core at all... :(

Why would it matter who finds it first? We are all geocachers. 30 bucks a year to get a text message to my phone when a cache is published well worth it. Why would a regular member want to take that away?

using my little geomate jr puts me at a disadvantage for being a FTF (which i desperately want to call F2F cuz that makes sense in my head!!) since it won't even show up in my little unit. I can attempt it via coords, but, i'd still have to have access to my computer to figure out where to start!

As a Premium Member you can get Instant Notification emails sent to your computer or cell phone whenever a new cache is published in your area. Any cell phone that can receive email will do. Enter the coords into your GPS and read the cache listing on your cell phone.

Have fun! :D

Create a second account, it's free anyway. Sign your logbook with your second account. No FTF certificate on the box, of course. Log your FTF as soon as the page is published. :(

FTF problem will not bother you anymore.

:D:)

And just think of all the FTF's you'll be getting..

Thanks to those of you for the practical and positive responses to my question. I am new to geocaching, and I have enjoyed it very much even if I am not inclined to forsake all my other interests to spend all my time with this new one. Actually I think geocaching may fit in quite well with my cycling actvities.

One of reasons for my original question was because a neighbor geocacher told me about his hiding a cache in a residential area and stated in the listing that cachers should not look for the cache at night. Apparently the cache was published at night, and several cachers were out that same night for first, second, and third to find bragging rights. I would not go out in the night for any cache, but I also would not go out in the night for a bike ride either. For those who choose to cache at night in a residential neighborhood, and when it is clearly stated in the cache listing that it should not be done at night, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for those who do it and those who give them a pass by chalking it up to their being "hard core" or "FTF Hounds." I am sure it is a small minority who do this, but it does seem that they do it repeatedly, and it is known by others in the geocaching community who may not like it but seem unable to do anything about it.

Von Horst mentioned several things to consider, and a few made me laugh at myself: He mentioned hiding it up in a tree, and I immediately thought of a cache I visited this past weekend. It was in a city park, up in a tree, and in plain view. I was tempted to climb the tree, but second thought led me to pass on the climbing idea and move on to another cache. He also mentioned hiding a cache on an island or on the side of a cliff. Again I am not inclined to go to take such rigorous measures.

Lastly, he suggested, "Sometimes, if asked nicely, a reviewer will publish a cache on a specific day or time, so if a cache is published whilst the majority of FTFers are at work. This might just allow someone else a crack at the FTF (but then again might not!)..." That to me sounds like a very good idea to try. If the reviewer does cooperate, it would at least insure the first to find would be in daylight hours. Thanks Von Horst.

As a Premium Member you can get Instant Notification emails sent to your computer or cell phone whenever a new cache is published in your area. Any cell phone that can receive email will do. Enter the coords into your GPS and read the cache listing on your cell phone.

i get the emails. but, yeah, with the geomate jr, i don't have the option to enter the coords in.

i get the emails. but, yeah, with the geomate jr, i don't have the option to enter the coords in.

Any phone that can get text messages can get the instant notifications. Every network has an email that sends texts to its numbers. Verizon's is "Yournumber"@vtext.com Just find out what your networks email is and when you create the alert select the option to have it sent to an alternate email. Type in your phone's email and your set.

Edited by JohnE5

One of reasons for my original question was because a neighbor geocacher told me about his hiding a cache in a residential area and stated in the listing that cachers should not look for the cache at night. Apparently the cache was published at night, and several cachers were out that same night for first, second, and third to find bragging rights.

That's a completely different topic. While yes, some of the cachers will be there for the FTF others will not. Some will find it at night because they like night caching or haven't stopped their caching day yet. And they'll do it long after the cache has been published so delaying putting out the cache will not change things much (other than being against the hiding guidelines).

Edited by Avernar

Thanks to those of you for the practical and positive responses to my question. I am new to geocaching, and I have enjoyed it very much even if I am not inclined to forsake all my other interests to spend all my time with this new one. Actually I think geocaching may fit in quite well with my cycling actvities.

One of reasons for my original question was because a neighbor geocacher told me about his hiding a cache in a residential area and stated in the listing that cachers should not look for the cache at night. Apparently the cache was published at night, and several cachers were out that same night for first, second, and third to find bragging rights. I would not go out in the night for any cache, but I also would not go out in the night for a bike ride either. For those who choose to cache at night in a residential neighborhood, and when it is clearly stated in the cache listing that it should not be done at night, that leaves a bad taste in my mouth for those who do it and those who give them a pass by chalking it up to their being "hard core" or "FTF Hounds." I am sure it is a small minority who do this, but it does seem that they do it repeatedly, and it is known by others in the geocaching community who may not like it but seem unable to do anything about it.

That's a different story. I imagine just about any reviewer will accommodate the request if it's about preventing night time seekers. Framing it as controlling FTF hounds will be much more subject to the reviewer's opinions.

Edited by Dinoprophet

That is a completely different topic which lead to a previous thread worth reading. FTF deleted--Not found during park hours! Overzealous FTF chasers develop a reputation for ignoring posted hours, and purposely breaking the law to be FTF.

Von Horst mentioned several things to consider, and a few made me laugh at myself: He mentioned hiding it up in a tree, and I immediately thought of a cache I visited this past weekend. It was in a city park, up in a tree, and in plain view. I was tempted to climb the tree, but second thought led me to pass on the climbing idea and move on to another cache. He also mentioned hiding a cache on an island or on the side of a cliff. Again I am not inclined to go to take such rigorous measures.

Lastly, he suggested, "Sometimes, if asked nicely, a reviewer will publish a cache on a specific day or time, so if a cache is published whilst the majority of FTFers are at work. This might just allow someone else a crack at the FTF (but then again might not!)..." That to me sounds like a very good idea to try. If the reviewer does cooperate, it would at least insure the first to find would be in daylight hours. Thanks Von Horst.

Aside from the park hour violation issue, you cannot require that cachers not seek your hides at night.

Even that's tricky, because it sorts by date placed, not date published. There are several cachers in my area who mark the date placed as a week or two prior to publication (and that may very well be 100% truthful, depending on how long it takes them to write it up and get through the review process), so that cache won't show on the first several pages of new caches in our state - even 5 minutes after publishing.

Yeah...that won't always work either...

Published in the Morning Hours...I know several local FTF-Hounds (Premium and Regular) that will take an early lunch just to be FTF...

Published in the Afternoon Hours...again, several local FTF-Hounds (not all the same as those listed above) will leave work early (due to flexible scheduling of hours...ie...work 6 hours today and 10 hours tomorrow) just to be FTF...

Just the nature of the "beast"...those that want to play the FTF Game will find ways to play it...

Personally, I don't play the FTF Game...if I happen to get one every once in a while, fine with me...but i just consider it a bonus...

bflentje noted above: "Aside from the park hour violation issue, you cannot require that cachers not seek your hides at night."

In this area of Pennsylvania there are numerous caches in and around residential areas as well as other time sensitive areas where the cache owners state in their cache listings that caching should only be done in the daylight hours. While not a veteran at geocaching, the idea of walking around someone's property at night with a flashlight when asked not to do so seems like a pretty bad idea. If someone gives you permission to place a cache on their property with the stipulation that caching is only allowed in daylight hours, I don't see how bflentje's statement can possibly be accurate. If his statement is accurate, there are a lot of caches that would not be allowed. If a public park can limit caching to daylight hours, why could a private land owner also not limit caching to daylight hours on his own property. Otherwise, the landowner could simply tell us to pack our cache up and leave.

If someone gives you permission to place a cache on their property with the stipulation that caching is only allowed in daylight hours, I don't see how bflentje's statement can possibly be accurate.

No, you can put in your listing that this cache should only be found between certain hours. There are even attributes for it. Just set the not 24h and not available at night attributes.

But, be prepared for people to show up at night anyway. This could be on purpose or by ignorance (didn't read the listing).