Going paperless

zinnia123

Hi, how can you go geocaching with out having to print out all the hints and maps that go with it. I have a e trex legend hcx.

So far i punch in the cords and the name by hand so that I can name them. Then I print out all the info of the cache. I just recently printed out 20 caches for a cache blitz. We managed but the maps were a pain. I don't have maps yet on my e-trex. I will soon.

One other question about adding maps how well detailed are they the road maps. Do they name all the roads? Thanks.

My goal is to go paperless. With out having to get iphone. :D:D:laughing:

Edited by zinnia123

your unit will not support paperless caching. With that out of the way you get a Palm PDA. They are pretty cheap on ebay. I got a M500 for $25. Get the hard aluminum case also. Make the unit much more rugged on the trail.

For a tutorial see this thread. It mentions GSAK, that is a good investment also, now you can hook your etrex to the computer and download hundreds of caches with a click of the mouse.

For other options, i.e., plucker and spinner, google paperless caching.

For GSAK, see GSAK. There is a link to a tutorial on that page.

Unfortunately, for any of the paperless geocaching to work you need to be a premium member to download PQ's.

Jim

For now, if you don't want to take the plunge, I would at least get a free copy of EasyGPS and at least download the .loc files from the search page to download to your GPS. Save a whole bunch of toggle twiddling.

Edited by jholly

your unit will not support paperless caching. With that out of the way you get a Palm PDA. They are pretty cheap on ebay. I got a M500 for $25. Get the hard aluminum case also. Make the unit much more rugged on the trail.

For a tutorial see this thread. It mentions GSAK, that is a good investment also, now you can hook your etrex to the computer and download hundreds of caches with a click of the mouse.

For other options, i.e., plucker and spinner, google paperless caching.

For GSAK, see GSAK. There is a link to a tutorial on that page.

, for any of the paperless geocaching to work you need to be a premium member to download PQ's.

Jim

Unfortunately For now, if you don't want to take the plunge, I would at least get a free copy of EasyGPS and at least download the .loc files from the search page to download to your GPS. Save a whole bunch of toggle twiddling.

ok I've read the GSAK it looks complicated; it looks tricky to do. Do the cache come with the hints as well. I'v just ordered my North America maps for my GPS and I just hope I can get that running on my unit with out problems. I'll take another look but if any one has any tips would be great. and would it be worth getting the membership for geocaching?

ok I've read the GSAK it looks complicated; it looks tricky to do. Do the cache come with the hints as well. I'v just ordered my North America maps for my GPS and I just hope I can get that running on my unit with out problems. I'll take another look but if any one has any tips would be great. and would it be worth getting the membership for geocaching?

The hints are included in the .gpx file you get with the pocket queries. They're not included in the .Loc files.

I think the membership fee is worth it for the pocket queries alone.

Carolyn

Actually it is not difficult and is pretty easy to use. Check the tutorial links. If you feel your stuck or need help you can go to the GSAK forums. There are a bunch of patient and very helpful folks over there that will help you out.

The membership is well worth the price. PQ's alone is enough, throw in bookmarks, caching along a route and some of the other features and it can't be beat.

Jim

The hints are included in the .gpx file you get with the pocket queries. They're not included in the .Loc files.

Carolyn

Thanks Carolyn and Jim, I got the membership and I will look further into GSAK. It just looks a bit scary with all its files. lol

Oh and Jim I don't know anything about the PDA's how do they run. I've never had one thought they need some kind of plan with them to run like a cell phone. I'v never looked at them before. Cheers. Hope this doesn't sound to dumb to ask. :D

Thanks Carolyn and Jim, I got the membership and I will look further into GSAK. It just looks a bit scary with all its files. lol

Oh and Jim I don't know anything about the PDA's how do they run. I've never had one thought they need some kind of plan with them to run like a cell phone. I'v never looked at them before. Cheers. Hope this doesn't sound to dumb to ask. :D

No PDA's don't need a plan. They are basically a computer with a touch screen. You load programs on them and load data on them. For caching with palms the choice is cachemate ($10) a easy to use program and GSAK will create the files you need to load. Or spinner/pucker. This route is free, but a bit more complicated to use (in my opinion). There are some articles on this route if google paperless geocaching.

There are two main categories of PDA's, the palm OS ones and the Pocket PC ones. I use a Palm OS, M500 to be exact. I have not looked at Pocket PC's.

There are a number of files with GSAK, but like most windows programs you really don't need to worry about them. The only one you need to concern yourself with is the database file. You can have one or many, it is your choice.

Like I said the GSAK forums are really helpful and a good place to get questions answered.

Jim

Carolyn

It's not as hard as it looks. I thought the exact same thing when I first saw it. The tutorial is extremely well written, and guides you by the hand through each step. Once you've done it, you'll think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, and your membership the best $30 you ever spent.

Hi All

Firstly I need to disagree with Jim. I am not a Premium Member and I do paperless caching. Granted not using GSAK [yes, you need to be a Premium Member to use GSAK] but I go paperless nonetheless.

I use an iTouch with the gc.com iApplication - I think it was $4.99 - and it works extremely well. I access the caches that I wish to hunt and then "save" the cache to the iTouch. In the field I can then access all the information [except pictures] and read whatever I want about the cache - trackables, hints, description, etc. You do not have to have internet access available if you have saved the caches. You can also make field notes that will be saved and uploaded to the gc.com site once you have internet connectivity again.

Remember that the iTouch is not a GPSr nor does it have that function. You will need an iPhone for that. I use my iTouch in combination with my eTrex Vista HCx and am very happy indeed with the results.

As an aside, why am I not a Premium Member? Where I live in the Middle East there are so few caches it is hardly worth the expense and effort. When I go on holiday to other countries then I have to plan my caching manually - yes, a bit of a bind but quite frankly I enjoy the manual searching and planning. That is all part of the fun about planning each caching trip in a foreign place. Give me the opportunity to read each cache and then decide if I want to hunt it or not. I am in the final planning stages of a trip to Hong Kong and Brisbane in Australia and have found some wonderful places that I am sure I wouldn't have known about if I simply did a GSAK scan and loaded "everything". For me it is all part of the adventure and I enjoy doing it my way. It is not about the numbers for me but rather about the quality and where I want to go.

Hope this helps.

I just started geocaching with my google phone. completely paperless!

only downside is if I can't get a signal to view the website. so i need to remember to download the description as a text file.

I can download the .loc file on my PC, drag it to my phone and then use GeoBeagle to find caches. Hopefully the Android OS will support downloading .loc files directly on my phone in the future.

I just started geocaching with my google phone. completely paperless!

only downside is if I can't get a signal to view the website. so i need to remember to download the description as a text file.

I can download the .loc file on my PC, drag it to my phone and then use GeoBeagle to find caches. Hopefully the Android OS will support downloading .loc files directly on my phone in the future.

I used GeoBeagle on my G1 and it works great. I use Gpx files though (I am a member) .loc don't give enough information. i currently have the 500 closest caches to my location (with details) saved to my phone. a tip though.. You an use geobeagle to search for caches online. Then while on the cache page choose google maps a box will come up and if you choose geobeagle instead of google maps it will save the location for you. It will stay there even after you leave the program. That is how i loaded the first few cache locations into my phone before I figured out how to down load a Pocket Queries with .gpx files.

Just a side note, you don't have to manually add your caches to get the names with your GPS model. Plug your GPS into your computer with the USB cable that came with your GPS, and go to geocaching.com. Find a cache you want to try finding, and click the "Send to GPS" button on the web page for that caceh. Make sure your GPS is on, btw. Learned that one the hard way. :unsure:

The first time you do this you'll be asked to download some software on to your computer. Do it. From that point on, when you click the "Send to GPS" button, a pop-up window will appear showing your GPS model name with a button to "write" the cache info to your GPS. Just click "write." The cache name and coordinates are sent to your GPS. To access them, start at your GPS's main menu and use the rocker on your GPS to go to Find > Geocaches. They'll be listed by their GC.com code (GCxxxxx).

HTH