heads up, 60csx on sale on amazon right now

Do the ones currently shipping from Amazon still have the SiRF chipset?

Thanks,

Chuck

Well, if you look at the specs on AMAZON, it has the text below. If you bought the unit, and it had the MediaTek, then you might be able to convince AMAZON to take it back and refund your shipping charges and not charge a restocking fee.

Technical Details

* Receiver: High-sensitivity SiRF architecture

What's wrong with the newly designed Mediatek chip?

Does anyone have a compelling argument on why the new Mediatek is any less sensitive/accurate than the old SirfIII?

Keep in mind that the new Mediatek is not the same chip as in the newer etrex series, it's different. It was designed with new specs with a focus on accuracy at slow speeds, something the Cartesio leaves to be desired.

Actually I'm trying to find one with the MediaTek chip. What puzzled me about the amazon tech specs was the 20 hrs. battery life when the Garmin specs say 18hrs. I thought it might have the new chip, but it clearly says SiRF in the amazon specs. If anyone knows who is shipping a 60csx with the new MediaTek chip in the US please post a link. Thanks!

Keep in mind that the new Mediatek is not the same chip as in the newer etrex series, it's different. It was designed with new specs with a focus on accuracy at slow speeds, something the Cartesio leaves to be desired.

I was under the (mistaken) impression that it was the "old" MediaTek chipset. Do you have any data / specsheets on the new MediaTek chipset? I'm curious to know more about it.

Thanks