What a load of Bulls

I have recently come across a few caches now where as I have had to contend with Bulls in a field, one time in particular, on a field on, a public right of way i might add, had 50 or more bulls running at me. after scaring 90 per cent of them away, a few were persistent and a did get scared :D . Any advice on what to do in such a situation???

I have recently come across a few caches now where as I have had to contend with Bulls in a field, one time in particular, on a field on, a public right of way i might add, had 50 or more bulls running at me. after scaring 90 per cent of them away, a few were persistent and a did get scared :D . Any advice on what to do in such a situation???

Get a Tshirt with this on it

13906-No-Bull-Sign-Clipart-Illustration.jpg

This is one of those situations that is best solve be geocaching as a group. When choosing other geocachers for your group, make sure that you can run faster than at least one or more of the other geocachers. This can easily be determine by placing a new geocache then giving the coordinates to likely candidates before it is published. Do not include the FTF person on your cache in the group.

Any advice on what to do in such a situation???

Yes. Log a DNF and move on. Remember what happened to Daniel Jimeno Romero.

Do you mean bull or cow? I'm no rancher (actually, about as far as you can get from one) but I don't think they usually keep so many bulls in the same spot, unless you're caching in Pamplona.

Any advice on what to do in such a situation???

Yes. Log a DNF and move on. Remember what happened to Daniel Jimeno Romero.

Do you mean bull or cow? I'm no rancher (actually, about as far as you can get from one) but I don't think they usually keep so many bulls in the same spot, unless you're caching in Pamplona.

I was thinking that too but to be afraid of cows is....COWardly. couldn't resist.

I was thinking that too but to be afraid of cows is....COWardly. couldn't resist.

Good one :D

There's numerous logs in a regional park near me where people described in their logs of being chased by cattle, usually when the calves are around. So far I've managed to avoid close encounters with them by staying away from the young and trying not to move towards them in a straight line. Never argue with a dumb herbivore that outmasses you by more than 1000 lbs.

Good one :D

There's numerous logs in a regional park near me where people described in their logs of being chased by cattle, usually when the calves are around. So far I've managed to avoid close encounters with them by staying away from the young and trying not to move towards them in a straight line. Never argue with a dumb herbivore that outmasses you by more than 1000 lbs.

Having had to hike through several fields of cows when I was section hiking the AT, I can assure you that cows are evil! Avoid them at all cost. DNF the cache!

I know. I was joking around a bit though I used to chase cows. I am more afraid of the land mines they leave behind than the cows though. For the most part, a loud yell will redirect a cow. Running from them is almost taunting them.

Bulls are a different story. Those will run you down just for looking at them funny. They aren't too bright and see any animal, other than a female cow, as a challenge to their masculinity.

Always be careful of cows.

I carry a stick and am never reticent about waving it around shouting "buggeroffoutofit!"

If you have a dog, the cows will often go for it, even if they don't have any calves.

A woman was killed yesterday just outside cardiff whilst walking her dog -see here

If you have a dog or dogs with you and you accidentally find yourself in a field with cows and calves, let the dog(s) off the lead. The cows see the dogs as a threat, not you. The dogs will look after themselves, and you'll live to tell the tale (as will the dogs)...

This was recently discussed on the UK section of the forums

Edited by Von-Horst

Unless the cache description had something to the tune of "you will be caching in a field of cattle and I have explicit permission from the owner of the field/pasture whose name is X" I would put that one on my ignore list and move on.

Or assume that I've approached it from the wrong angle and contact the owner for clarification before attempting again.

Unless the cache description had something to the tune of "you will be caching in a field of cattle and I have explicit permission from the owner of the field/pasture whose name is X" I would put that one on my ignore list and move on.

Or assume that I've approached it from the wrong angle and contact the owner for clarification before attempting again.

The OP, like me, is a UK-based cacher.

In the UK most public footpaths (rights of way) go across farmland of some kind and it is not unusual to be confronted with a field of cows (sometimes with a bull) and/or calves or heifers or (more often) bullocks. It is therefore quite common to have to 'interact' with cows whilst caching in the UK.

ef015792-a6e5-463b-b272-1b001b74523b.jpg

Luckily, we rarely have to deal with fields full of bulls!

Mike

Edited by Von-Horst

The OP, like me, is a UK-based cacher.

In the UK most public footpaths (rights of way) go across farmland of some kind and it is not unusual to be confronted with a field of cows (sometimes with a bull) and/or calves or heifers or (more often) bullocks. It is therefore quite common to have to 'interact' with cows whilst caching in the UK.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/ef0157...b001b74523b.jpg

Luckily, we rarely have to deal with fields full of bulls!

Mike

D'oh! Thanks for clearing that up. I was using my North American brain. Over here, at least in the Southeast, to get that kind of bovine interaction you have to cross a fence. Sorry I jumped to conclusions.

I really, really need to cross the pond and see world. Soon.

D'oh! Thanks for clearing that up. I was using my North American brain. Over here, at least in the Southeast, to get that kind of bovine interaction you have to cross a fence. Sorry I jumped to conclusions.

Open range is common here in the southwestern US as well. Much prime caching territory is criss-crossed with barbed wire and dotted with windmills and cattle tanks. We have lots of encounters with cattle, but the big critters are usually more obstinate than menacing. Still a good idea to avoid the Eau du Heifer line of fragrances in your soap and deodorant.

Always be careful of cows.

I carry a stick and am never reticent about waving it around shouting "buggeroffoutofit!"

If you have a dog, the cows will often go for it, even if they don't have any calves.

A woman was killed yesterday just outside cardiff whilst walking her dog -see here

If you have a dog or dogs with you and you accidentally find yourself in a field with cows and calves, let the dog(s) off the lead. The cows see the dogs as a threat, not you. The dogs will look after themselves, and you'll live to tell the tale (as will the dogs)...

This was recently discussed on the UK section of the forums

Have to wonder if the OP knows a bull from a cow. I wouldn't think a bull would be scared off that easily. I've been in fields with holstein milk cows. They are usually pretty placid, although I don't think any had calves at the time. No way do I want to get in a field with a bull. The farmer always told me to stay away from it.

Took the farmer's black poodle out with us one day when we went to get the pony that was in the upper field with the cows. The dog ran up the hill and into the woods ahead of us. The dog came running down the hill toward us followed by the whole herd hot on his tail. We made the fence just about the time the cows did.

Have to wonder if the OP knows a bull from a cow.

Not sure if you meant to refer to my post but Yep, I know the difference!

The OP is UK-based and we don't often/ever get fields full of bulls.

What we DO get each summer is fields full of bullocks, that tend to be very curious about anyone walking across their field, but which are, by and large, fairly timid and will run away from a madman waving a stick and yelling!

If there is a real bull in a field I will make sure to keep my distance, although it is only really Friesians (the black and white cows that are kept for their milk) that have aggresive bulls. The other main (meat) breeds (the brown and yellow Belgian blue, Limousin, Simmental and Charolais I think they are) are much more docile.

Mike

Actually, if you just cross the Rockies (or maybe not even that), you'll find that cattle grazing is done on public land in your own country :D

(oops, noticed Mule Ears mentioned that already, so a bit of trivia)

In some places they use cattle guards on the road to prevent cattle from wandering out, without using a gate, so that cars can just drive through. When the cows are conditioned, they sometimes just paint stripes on the road :D

Edited by Chrysalides

Actually, if you just cross the Rockies (or maybe not even that), you'll find that cattle grazing is done on public land in your own country :D

I have lived such a sheltered life in Appalachia... :D

Open range is common here in the southwestern US as well. Much prime caching territory is criss-crossed with barbed wire and dotted with windmills and cattle tanks. We have lots of encounters with cattle, but the big critters are usually more obstinate than menacing. Still a good idea to avoid the Eau du Heifer line of fragrances in your soap and deodorant.

Sorry, I'm just re-reading this. What is a "cattle tank"? Two things come to mind and they both look like a Far Side cartoon: cows in scuba gear at the aquarium, and army cows driving an Abrams across the battlefield.

Surely I have this all wrong.

That or Arizona is much more interesting that I ever could have imagined.

Vinny Gambini: Eggs and grits. I like grits, too. How do you cook your grits? Do you like them regular, creamy or al dente?

Mr. Tipton: Just regular I guess.

Vinny Gambini: Regular. Instant grits?

Mr. Tipton: No self respectin' Southerner uses instant grits. I take pride in my grits.

Sorry, grits always brings My Cousin Vinny to mind.

Sorry, I'm just re-reading this. What is a "cattle tank"? Two things come to mind and they both look like a Far Side cartoon: cows in scuba gear at the aquarium, and army cows driving an Abrams across the battlefield.

Come the Revolution, they'll have more than tanks... :(

MrsB :D

I have recently come across a few caches now where as I have had to contend with Bulls in a field, one time in particular, on a field on, a public right of way i might add, had 50 or more bulls running at me. after scaring 90 per cent of them away, a few were persistent and a did get scared :( . Any advice on what to do in such a situation???

Can't you just tip them, like you would a cow? :D

(of course, that then raises the question of just how much you should tip them. 15%? 20%?)

Edited by knowschad

Now I can't get that image out of my head...

I turned to google for the answer, it's even more disturbing.

1st result : "Leak in Hirst's pickled cow tank..."

3rd result : "Cow farts collected in plastic tank for global warming study ..."

but the 2nd result shows a large open top cylinder that I presume cattle drink out of. But what fun is there in that?

Ha! I love the Gary Larson images. I guess by now folks have filled you in that a cattle tank or stock tank is the water-storage reservoir served by a windmill pumping water up from a well. Out here, tank also refers to a pond, usually manmade, that serves the same purpose. Pond-tanks are considered significant geographical features here and are often shown on topographic maps, even named. (There's a series of named tanks up in Tucson: Vodka Tank, Gin Tank, Tequila Tank, Jack Daniels Tank...finally AA Tank.)

Some of the pond-tanks are kinda pretty, and all of them attract wildlife other than just cows. Not that there's anything wrong with cows--they're delicious.

Lost Dog Tank, Tumacacori Mountains

04077b8f-0a16-423b-bc1b-c7374f18fc0e.jpg

There is one public trail near where I live that is posted to beware of the cows. One of my daughters was up there and was chased by a cow or a bull and will not do that trail anymore. I used the "livestock" icon when placing a cache further up the trail.

One article about "reading" a cow or a bull suggests that 'when cornered by a bull, it is best not to move too fast, but to back away from the bull’s flight zone which is about 20 feet in range. While moving away from the bull’s flight zone, you should watch the bull at all times until you get to a fence, crawl space, or other safe retreat. Turning and running invites being chased. Not as likely, but the same can be said for aggressive fresh cows with their newborn calves as they, too, can attack and maul."

Then there are certain major behavioral activities related to bulls. "At the first sign of any of the above behaviors, humans should avoid the bull and exit rapidly, hopefully via a predetermined route."

http://www.cnr.berkeley.edu/ucce50/ag-labo...e/article29.htm

The cow jokes are udderly rediculous... Those are some tall tails you have told... Hope you didn't suffer from mad cow desease... yell: COW - A - BUNGA! (Do cows yell: MAN - A - BUNGA?)

Couldn't resist.

Stop milking this thread for laughs.

Or what? You'll "cream" him? :D

(I guess I'd butter just shut up now)