Streamlining GSAK, geocaching.com and GPS

DallasMcDanger

Hey all, finally got a “real” GPS…a Garmin Oregon 400t. Pouring over the numerous FAQs out there, I’ve decided to use GSAK to maintain the database of geocaches and upload to the GPS. I’ve setup my pocket queries, loaded them in GSAK and loaded them into my GPS with no problems. I just have a few questions after that. If somebody could answer them all, or even one, that would be great.

Basically, how do I keep geocaching.com, GSAK and the GPS in sync with geocaches I’ve found?

From what I can tell, one would load their pocket query into GSAK, export them to the GPS, do your field notes in the GPS, and then import from the GPS into GSAK? How can GSAK update geocaching.com?

If anybody has an easy to use method, let me know!

Also, I’ve been wanting to plan my routes better with Google Earth. So far I’ve been able to import my pocket query, but it shows geocaches I’ve already found. Is there a way to filter out what I’ve found so I can more easily navigate to un-found clusters of geocaches? Once I get the list of geocaches, it’s easy enough to make a route inside the GPS by selecting them 1 by 1 through the interface. Is there an easy way to create routes?

Also, if you want to toss away all my questions and say how YOU streamline everything…I’d enjoy reading everybody’s responses.

Thanks!

Edited by DallasMcDanger

The fieldnotes feature in the Oregon works to update your finds directly onto the website - not via GSAK.

I basically stopped using GSAK after I got my Oregon and Colorado units. I take the results of my PQs and place them directly onto the units and go caching. When I get home, I upload my field notes onto the site. Next tiome I go out, I get fresh PQs and delte the old ones off of the unit. I always select just the caches I do not own and have not found as criteria in the PQ - then I don't worry about it.

You can open your PQ result directly in GE for planning purposes. For best routing cache to cache - I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and the optimize route feature found there.

You know, right after I posted this I wondered why I even needed GSAK :D

I reformatted my public queries to exclude ones I've already found (thanks)

When I save the emailed .gpx files into drive:\garmin\gpx and turned on my GPS, they weren't listed under "Geocaches". They were placed under Waypoints with the GCXXXX code for the name. Is there something I'm missing to get them listed under Geocaches in the GPS? Would really like to do away with GSAK if I could just figure that out.

When I import from GSAK to GPS, there's an option to import as geocaches and not waypoints, so I assume there's a method to the madness.

Ideas?