Google Earth

I want it back!!!!

Dont't like the web maps!

Are you a Premium Member? If so, you can submit a Pocket query to Groundspeak and then file/load the pocket query GPX file directly into Google earth to view the caches contained within it.

Jon.

Why should you have to burn 1 or more of your limit of 5 pocket query to possibly find caches along a route? Are they gonna increase the amount of daily pocket query for us premium members?

I find it hard to believe that WORLD WIDE only 200 people used the KML feature and if so that the server was so OVER BURDENED. If only 200 people - not on all at once put a strain on a server like that, then they either need to dedicate a seperate server to this feature or get a better programmer. So long routes, blocks and other specialized queries.

Displeased is a understatement

I find it hard to believe that WORLD WIDE only 200 people used the KML feature and if so that the server was so OVER BURDENED. If only 200 people - not on all at once put a strain on a server like that, then they either need to dedicate a seperate server to this feature or get a better programmer. So long routes, blocks and other specialized queries.

Displeased is a understatement

The 200 figure appears to have been misunderstood. According to Groundspeak, that's the number of users per day who panned the map more than 500 times. Many more panned it less than 500 times. Each time you move the window it generates a PQ, so basically 200 people were generating more than 500 PQ's per day.

Spokesman Raine admits that it's sad that it had to go, but I for one am happy to accept the explanation and move on.

Products such as Memory Map give a better result anyway, albeit you have to use PQ's first. But caches don't change so fast that a week-old query will be useless. At least the positions are accurate, and can you tell me of a better mapping system than the Ordnance Survey?

I used to use Google Earth and the kml for seeing what the caches were like in unfamiliar places. For example, I am off on a road trip to Geneva in a few weeks, and I'd usually just fire up Google Earth, enter "Geneva" in the search, go straight there, then zoom and pan a bit to see the caches.

How would others suggest that I do it now? The Geocaching Google Maps obviously have the caches on them, but how do you get started and find the right co-ords? What other methods are there?

How would others suggest that I do it now? The Geocaching Google Maps obviously have the caches on them, but how do you get started and find the right co-ords? What other methods are there?

Ooooh - a challenge.

I wondered how long it would take - so timed myself...

1. Opened new window.

2. Clicked geocaching tab.

3. went to my profile.

4. Picked the cache at the top of the list.

5. Scrolled down to the map.

6. Clicked to open the map.

7. Scrolled right out to give world view.

8. Guessed roughly where geneva was a clicked to zoom in.

9. Spotted Geneva written on the map, centred the map, and zoomed right in.

36 seconds.

In all honesty it takes longer than that for Google Earth to boot on my pc :D:D

Edited to add...... plus using the maps option gives you the opportunity to generate a PQ directly from the map view - something (AFAIK) the GE option didn't.

What did we all do before the GE overlay was available???

Edited again to add..... and the cache co-ords in the GE overlay were deliberately fuzzed - so aside from giving you an indication of any caches in the area you were looking at, it was FA use in actually finding a cache.

Edited by keehotee

...... I am off on a road trip to Geneva in a few weeks........ What other methods are there?

Oooh Stuey - we're off there (or rather very nearby) this coming Friday :D I've just set up some PQs for the vicinity as I don't know whether I'll have wi-fi access when I get there (though I'm taking my 3 PAYG dongle) - hope to shove the PQs into GSAK and live from an offline database for a couple of weeks - not fantastic, but it's gotta be done :D

Give me a shout if you want to share stuff :laughing:

I want it back!!!!

Are you a Premium Member? If so, you can submit a Pocket query to Groundspeak and then file/load the pocket query GPX file directly into Google earth to view the caches contained within it.

Jon.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong with this? I submit a PQ, save it to my computer and then open the file through google earth. When I do this, a PQ that has many results of caches, only shows me the location of 3-5 caches when I open it in google earth. Should I be doing something with the file before opening it in google earth? I've tried opening several different PQs doing this so it's not just an error with a particular PQ, I just can't see what is wrong.

I want it back!!!!

Jon.

Can anyone tell me where I am going wrong with this? I submit a PQ, save it to my computer and then open the file through google earth. When I do this, a PQ that has many results of caches, only shows me the location of 3-5 caches when I open it in google earth. Should I be doing something with the file before opening it in google earth? I've tried opening several different PQs doing this so it's not just an error with a particular PQ, I just can't see what is wrong.

Firstly, are you sure the PQ has more than just the 3-5 caches you can view? Sorry if this sounds a stupid question, but just want to be sure.

Secondly, there is a scrolly tool on Google earth (it's top left of my GE window) that allows you to select what caches it is showing based on the date they were placed. You need to expand the scroll bar to include all the dates, so drag the left hand scrolly box fully left and the right hand fully right. Otherwise you may be just viewing a subset of the pocket query.

Cheers,

Jon.

I want it back!!!!

Jon.

Firstly, are you sure the PQ has more than just the 3-5 caches you can view? Sorry if this sounds a stupid question, but just want to be sure.

Secondly, there is a scrolly tool on Google earth (it's top left of my GE window) that allows you to select what caches it is showing based on the date they were placed. You need to expand the scroll bar to include all the dates, so drag the left hand scrolly box fully left and the right hand fully right. Otherwise you may be just viewing a subset of the pocket query.

Cheers,

Jon.

Thanks from me for that too Jon!!!! My caches appeared when I first opened it but then vanished and I didn't know how to get them back! The slider was the answer!

I want it back!!!!

Jon.

Cheers,

Jon.

Ah thank you Jon. It was the scrolly tool problem! I couldn't find it until I starting playing the tour of the waypoints and suddenly it appeared. The dates needed changing on it for the rest of them to show up. Now I can at least view my PQs in google earth. Thanks again!

If you use GSAK.... select the caches you're interested in in the usual way (using GSAK's excellent filters), run the "myGoogleEarth Export' macro (available HERE) and Google Earth will open (assuming you have it installed, of course) and your selected caches will be in the 'My Places' temporary folder and displayed.

It's supposed to be coming back but where and when? I deleted the old add-in for GE when it stopped working and the new one hasn't appeared yet on the My Account page where the old one used to be.

Has anyone found the new version yet?

Edited by Just Roger
In the link above (in post #17) dated 21st July, OpinioNate says "We anticipate releasing this next week with the regular monthly code release, provided nothing exciting (read: catastrophic) happens between now and then."

So, hopefully, soon.

MrsB :P

Thanks. I'll look out for the new release.

Hurrah! downloaded and it works.

"A victory for common sense and long may the users' view prevail" is what I say aka Pocket Queries my R's when in less polite company.

Incidentally; it also means that I will be paying my Premium Member fees again after all, which I don't think in any way would have influenced those in their Ivory Towers in the slightest oh no not a bit of it.

and BTW to who ever it was back up the trail a bit who said the .kml was the 'single best feature IMHO' ... rest assured that it is not just your humble opinion, it is mine too and that of every single one of the (few) others I have conversed with on the subject.

:)