A ? of Muggles

Maybe this has been covered before but does anyone know what a group of muggles could be called? You know; a flock of birds, a pod of dolphin. To get the ball rolling can I suggest a 'Loiter' of Muggles; or maybe that is better suited to a group of Geocachers!

A CACHE of Muggles.

:P

I kill myself!

Maybe this has been covered before but does anyone know what a group of muggles could be called? You know; a flock of birds, a pod of dolphin. To get the ball rolling can I suggest a 'Loiter' of Muggles; or maybe that is better suited to a group of Geocachers!

A CACHE of Muggles.

:D

I kill myself!

That'd be my vote! :laughing:

Since some muggles are humans, "group", "mob" or "gang" would be appropriate.

A CACHE of Muggles.

:(

I kill myself!

No, a creche.

Colony of muggles?

Maniac of muggles...

Snuggled with muggles..

A Twinkie of Muggles.

mmmm, Twinkies.......

Sorry, I'm hungry....

My mother used to put the twinkies in the freezer so they would still be cool in our brown bags at lunch time. And of course, the best snack after school....frozen twinkies. To this day, my twinkies must be frozen...Wow, life is grand.

Actually I don't like the use of the term "Muggles" at all. I would prefer to have it applied only to those who interfere with caches. I can not see why we should apply a derogatory term to ordinary people going about their business or enjoying the same areas we do. It seems to me to be a good way to get our caches "Muggled" in revenge.

Cheers,

Dan.

Actually I don't like the use of the term "Muggles" at all. I would prefer to have it applied only to those who interfere with caches. I can not see why we should apply a derogatory term to ordinary people going about their business or enjoying the same areas we do. It seems to me to be a good way to get our caches "Muggled" in revenge.

Cheers,

Dan.

Who said 'muggle' was a derogatory term? It simply means people who are unaware of our game. It's no more derogatory than 'passerby'.

'Muggled' does have a bit more meaning, in that it indicates that a cache has been interfered with and the assumption is that a non-geocacher did it.

In any case it is entrenched in the geocaching lexicon and not likely to change, right flask? :(

Cheers,

Dan.

Who said 'muggle' was a derogatory term? It simply means people who are unaware of our game. It's no more derogatory than 'passerby'.

'Muggled' does have a bit more meaning, in that it indicates that a cache has been interfered with and the assumption is that a non-geocacher did it.

In any case it is entrenched in the geocaching lexicon and not likely to change, right flask? :D

Since most people don't know the term, it isn't important to most people. Having said that, if one who was an English Major were to be called a muggle, they would, indeed, be offended.

Main Entry: muggle2

Part of Speech: n

Definition: a common person, esp. one who is ignorant or has no skills

Example: There are muggles in every computer class.

Etymology: 1920s

Usage: slang

... I would prefer to have it applied only to those who interfere with caches....

That's exactly how it's used. In cache logs, as it relates to folks in on and around the cache who aren't cachers. Without the cache log there is no need, nor any use for the term. It's specific to this activity.

I don't work with muggles, I work with co-workers, friends, and such.

Now if I'm caching and my friend walks by, I'll mention my friend walking buy. Muggles are for the unknown folks who's only known thing is their relationship to the cache. Hence muggle.

There is nothing deragatory about it except for some reason folks decide (for reasons I can't fathom) that's its deragatory.

Cache Maggot is deragatory but then folks who intensionally steal our caches deserve such a name.

Cheers,

Dan.

In any case it is entrenched in the geocaching lexicon and not likely to change, right flask? :D

Since most people don't know the term, it isn't important to most people. Having said that, if one who was an English Major were to be called a muggle, they would, indeed, be offended.

Why would a term meaning someone ignorant of the game be offensive? There nothing to be offended about not knowing something - we are all ignorant about many things. I could call most of you ignorant about my profession - I'm a magician. As a rock climber I could call many ignorant of and/or not having skills in climbing.

...Since most people don't know the term, it isn't important to most people. Having said that, if one who was an English Major were to be called a muggle, they would, indeed, be offended...

Or perhaps they would ask you to pass it their way being the slang a non caching English Major (or any other major for that matter) would be more familar with.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Why would a term meaning someone ignorant of the game be offensive? There nothing to be offended about not knowing something - we are all ignorant about many things. I could call most of you ignorant about my profession - I'm a magician. As a rock climber I could call many ignorant of and/or not having skills in climbing.

I won't dispute that for a minute. What happens is that some peoplw who are ignorant don't know what ignorant means, and that pisses them off. They think the word "ignorant" means dumb, stupid, etc.

BTW, you are not a magician. You are an illusionist. ~LOL~

I won't dispute that for a minute. What happens is that some peoplw who are ignorant don't know what ignorant means, and that pisses them off. They think the word "ignorant" means dumb, stupid, etc.

Ahh, but an English Major would know what ignorant means...

BTW, you are not a magician. You are an illusionist. ~LOL~

Nope, an illusionist is someone who works with the large stage illusions, I don't. (You, see, even in my profession we have our own language.) English doesn't have different words for magic - whether it's "real' or entertainment, the word is "magic" and therefore I'm a magician - a worker of magic.

Edit to fix those darn quotes...

Edited by The Jester

Nope, an illusionist is someone who works with the large stage illusions, I don't. (You, see, even in my profession we have our own language.) English doesn't have different words for magic - whether it's "real' or entertainment, the word is "magic" and therefore I'm a magician - a worker of magic.

Edit to fix those darn quotes...

How about prestigitation?

"Magic" was one of my hobbies when I was much younger. It taught me a valuable lesson. Once you know the secret, it's not nearly as enjoyable.

My favorite collective noun for geocachers is "constellation", referring to the position of the GPS satellites. So by the same token, I like "interference" for muggles, suggesting a poor GPS signal.

That said, I don't like "muggle" for non-geocachers. If referring to a non-cacher in my logs, it's usually a "hiker", a"family", a "photographer", or something like. I will occasionally refer to a missing cache as "muggled".

"Magic" was one of my hobbies when I was much younger. It taught me a valuable lesson. Once you know the secret, it's not nearly as enjoyable.

I love knowing how tricks are done. I generally find the design of magic tricks more impressive than their execution. It's amazing how simply some things can be done. I'm one of those who prefer traditional special effects in movies over CGI for the same reason. I'll take this OT moment to recommend a book: Hiding the Elephant.

Naw. Too hard to spell. :D

Your right. It's actually prestidigitation. ;)

I've always said there are two types of people- those who can know how a magic effect works and still enjoy it; and those who can't (that's the biggest reason we don't tell people how the magic works - it "spoils" it). The first group makes for good magicians, the second makes good audience members.

Now to return this thread to what to call non-cachers, not what to call magicians.

Naw. Too hard to spell. :unsure:

Your right. It's actually prestidigitation. :P

I've always said there are two types of people- those who can know how a magic effect works and still enjoy it; and those who can't (that's the biggest reason we don't tell people how the magic works - it "spoils" it). The first group makes for good magicians, the second makes good audience members.

Now to return this thread to what to call non-cachers, not what to call magicians.

How in the heck did I miss that typo? You made the letters disappear, didn't you? Amazing trick!

Your right. It's actually prestidigitation. :P

And it's actually "You're". :)

Your right. It's actually prestidigitation. :)

And it's actually "You're". ;)

Ouch! I get bit by one of my own pet peeves... :P

---

OT: I gargled a giggle at a gaggle of muggles.

A band of muggles,

an assortment of muggles,

A clot of muggles,

A clump of muggles

A cluster of muggles,

A faction of muggles...

I could go on and on but how up bout...

MUGGLES? It is plural after all...

But if you were looking for a single word to describe a group of muggles, well if you were going to call them something like "A mug of muggles." Then why not refer to a group of muggles as "A mug"

But again, its just as easy to say here comes some muggles.