Stereotypes: A slightly different concept for a cache rating system...

Arrow42

I know the subject of geocache ratings has been discussed in depth in dozens of threads, but I think I have an idea that hasn't been discussed before.

Stereotypes.

Yeah, I know what your thinking - aren't stereotypes evil? Well, when your talking about people they can be misused, yes. However, I think within the context of geocaches we can use them to our advantage.

The first step would be to identify 5 to 10 different categories that all geocaches would fall in. For example:

- parking-lot Micro

- guardrail micro

- tupperware under a bush

- ammo-can in the woods

- Cache at a vista

- rural highway pull-out cache

- needle in a haystack

- Long hike cache

- etc.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now. The trick would be to find a balance between providing useful "stereotypes" and not providing too much of a spoiler.

After a predetermined number of votes had been cast then the page would show a chart with the different types and a percentage breakdown of how many has voted for what category.

You can then use the ratings to help filter our caches from PQs depending on what kind of caches they are most interested in.

Thoughts?

Interesting theory.....

I guess I see these options as something the owner might put in his/her cache posting on geocaching.com. And many owners do this already, they say: peanut buttle jar, green and red. Then, in the hints it says: under a big ol' fallen tree. Something like that...

So, good thoughts, just think it's kind of already being done.

I know the subject of geocache ratings has been discussed in depth in dozens of threads, but I think I have an idea that hasn't been discussed before.

Stereotypes.

Yeah, I know what your thinking - aren't stereotypes evil? Well, when your talking about people they can be misused, yes. However, I think within the context of geocaches we can use them to our advantage.

The first step would be to identify 5 to 10 different categories that all geocaches would fall in. For example:

- parking-lot Micro

- guardrail micro

- tupperware under a bush

- ammo-can in the woods

- Cache at a vista

- rural highway pull-out cache

- needle in a haystack

- Long hike cache

- etc.

I'm sure there are others that I'm not thinking of right now. The trick would be to find a balance between providing useful "stereotypes" and not providing too much of a spoiler.

After a predetermined number of votes had been cast then the page would show a chart with the different types and a percentage breakdown of how many has voted for what category.

You can then use the ratings to help filter our caches from PQs depending on what kind of caches they are most interested in.

Thoughts?

Some can be a combination of both. I created a Guardrail micro featuring a scenic vista. This combines two of your categories.

You can also have a cache that combines a long hike, with multiple scenic vistas, and mulitple history lessons. How would that be categorized?

Considering I think of geocaching as a form of entertainment and a placer is providing an adventure, sort of telling a story, I've long thought this a good idea. Movies and books have genres, why can't geocaches?

I've always liked your previously posted idea on Geocaching styles.

I had a similar idea. Finder Applied Attributes. Each finder has the option of selecting from a list of attributes, say a dozen possible choices. The top 3-5 selected FAAs are then displayed on the cache page below the attributes the CO selected.

Thats a good idea. If we could do PQs based on attributes of the cache, it could help a lot of people have more fun because they could isolate the types of caches they enjoy and ignore the rest.

The people who like LPC and GRCs could get a power run of 50 finds in a day and the ones who prefer ammo cans loaded with Swag at the end of a hike could avoid the tupperware with the bullet hole at the end of the hike.

Of course, the downside is it could, possibly, give people hints that the CO doesn't want the seeker to have so some would be tempted to avoid using attributes, but it could be there perogative to add them or not.

Also, since all the 900,000+/- caches out there already wouldn't have those attributes, I could see why GS would be reluctant to add an attribute setting to the game.

It is a good idea though.

Maybe these could be attributes so you can choose more than one.

I think that is a GREAT idea. I would use those attributes as a cache owner/placer. If they were searchable, it might lower the angst level a bit.

Interesting take on the OP's concept. :P

I made a similar suggestion recently in the form of a feature enhancement request. The idea is not original with me; I merely made the request.

I don't use PQs so it wouldn't benefit me directly, but I'm sure it would be of value to those who have very specific preference requirements.

I guess I see these options as something the owner might put in his/her cache posting on geocaching.com.

This wouldn't' be from the owner - it would be from the visitors. The theory being that the large number of votes would be more reliable then a single bias self-assessment.

How would caches be filed that fit into more than one catagory?

needle in the haystack, after a long hike

ammo can in the woods, at a vista

and so on....

I was kind of thinking that each finder would rank what attribute they thought was most prominate and on the page it would give the aggregate results. Those aggregate resulted would be useful to the a cacher who wanted to know more about the cache.

For example, the cache your talking about could have results that look something like...

- Long hike cache - 50%

- Cache at a vista - 25%

- ammo-can in the woods - 15%

- needle in a haystack - 10%

- parking-lot Micro - 0%

- guardrail micro - 0%

- tupperware under a bush - 0%

- rural highway pull-out cache - 0%

All those stats would tell you a bit about the cache.

Maybe give the finder check "all that apply" or the "two that most apply" or something like that?

Of course, the downside is it could, possibly, give people hints that the CO doesn't want the seeker to have so some would be tempted to avoid using attributes, but it could be there perogative to add them or not.

Yeah, the categories would need walk a narrow balance between being useful without giving up too much information.

Also, since all the 900,000+/- caches out there already wouldn't have those attributes, I could see why GS would be reluctant to add an attribute setting to the game.

If it's an assessment of new visitors to the caches, then I think the number of "unassessed" caches would drop dramatically as time went on.

I still think that it's the CO's responsibility to put some good info on his/her cache info page to tell cache seekers what's up.... The idea of a dropdown box is a good idea, but you'll always run into wanting to pick from something NOT on the dropdown list..... know what I mean Vern?

Many CO's put info in their cache descriptions something to the effect of: camo peanut butter jar, or medium sized ammo camo box, etc, etc.....