Disaster strikes!

Crid

It was my own stupid fault, but this afternoon I've managed to bust the LCD display on my Garmin Colorado (but strangely, not the glass). The unit itself still appears to be working OK, but the top half of the screen is pretty much useless.

Do Garmin (or anybody else) in the UK do repairs for this sort of thing? I don't want to throw the unit away, since the rest of it seems to be OK. Since it was my own fault, I'm not expecting Garmin to repair it for free.

Garmin are renowned for the customer service - usually replacing units with brand new ones, even when out of warranty..... even if they quote you a price for doing the repair.

Get in touch with them.

... in some cases only.

When I smashed the screen of my 60CS they simply did not really want to know, could not assure me I would get my own unit back or anything, in spite of my telling them the whole gory story of how it got trapped in a wheel as I catapulted out of my wheelchair.

Ended up having to get it fixed elsewhere.

That said, you are probably best contacting them first, especially as it is such a new model.

Well I've sent an email to techsupp.europe@garmin.com, so I'll see how long it takes them to reply.

It was my own carelessness, so I probably won't bother trying to do it on the insurance. I should learn not to be so dumb. :D

(The carelessness was me not paying attention, rather than actually doing something dumb to start with).

Edited by Crid

I agree with DorsetGal....when my 4 day old Oregon got a scratch on the screen I contacted them.....quoted £113 for repair but then told I wouldn't get my old unit back but a reconditioned one (I don't think so - the Oregons still scratched)

That' the rub isn't it?

I heard that they do not do repairs here but simply ship them off and replace with reconditioned units. If that is the case and you have a very young, or very welll looked after unit this scheme isn't really favourable, on the other hand if you have a pretty beat up old unit that they agree to repair, you'll probably be on to a winner!

There are other places that can replace screens etc., one or two in London which will do it while you wait I believe. :D

There are other places that can replace screens etc., one or two in London which will do it while you wait I believe. :(

Does anybody have any information about this? I don't live particularly close to London, but a trip there wouldn't be a massive headache for me. Obviously the price and the quality of the service are pretty important to me.

That' the rub isn't it?

I heard that they do not do repairs here but simply ship them off and replace with reconditioned units. If that is the case and you have a very young, or very welll looked after unit this scheme isn't really favourable, on the other hand if you have a pretty beat up old unit that they agree to repair, you'll probably be on to a winner!

There are other places that can replace screens etc., one or two in London which will do it while you wait I believe.

was me not paying attention, rather than actually doing something dumb to start with).

I would say in our experience, now on 3 occasions, Garmin have come up trumps every time.

The last time, early this year, the screen on my Legend cracked, the Legend that I had bought on eBay a long while before (but that is another story :D ). I contacted Gamin UK in Totton and it was explained to me that there may be a charge & that I would not get my unit back, but would get a refurbished unit, which would be about 3-5 business day’s from them receiving my unit, I was given a RMA number, and the address to send it to. I was advised to back up the data as it would not be uploaded to the referbed unit.

I visited Garmin UK next day, a Friday, around 16:00 handed over my unit with the RMA, & self addressed Jiffy bag.

The next morning the referbed unit arrived !!! :( No charge. Bargain as not only was the screen cracked on the old unit, but the gasket was coming unstuck & the lanyard bracket was broken. Now all fixed. We consider that excellent customer service :):)

Edited by t.a.folk

We consider that excellent customer service :(:D

Yes it is, but ONLY because you had a second hand unit you purchased on ebay. Had you recently paid two, three or even four hundred pounds for a new unit, you would most likely feel quite differently when they said they would send you a reconditioned unit.

That's the rub I was explianing above, for beat up old units they are great, when it comes to a new, well cared for unit it can be a different kettle of fish.

There are other places that can replace screens etc., one or two in London which will do it while you wait I believe. :(

Does anybody have any information about this? I don't live particularly close to London, but a trip there wouldn't be a massive headache for me. Obviously the price and the quality of the service are pretty important to me.

Google is your friend :D

We consider that excellent customer service :(:D

Yes it is, but ONLY because you had a second hand unit you purchased on ebay. Had you recently paid two, three or even four hundred pounds for a new unit, you would most likely feel quite differently when they said they would send you a reconditioned unit.

That's the rub I was explianing above, for beat up old units they are great, when it comes to a new, well cared for unit it can be a different kettle of fish.

I understand your concerns as I too had exactly the same ones when my Colorado developed a card reading fault a few months back. However, the "reconditioned" unit I received back was in perfect condition. Except for the box (which was a standard brown box rather than a glossy new product box) you could call it new! A couple of friends experiences have been the same. I doubt Garmin would send out anything less than perfect for a reconditioned replacement, unless of course it's such an old model that parts to recondition it "as-new" are not available.

J

We consider that excellent customer service :D

Mine was well cared for. :( Never been dropped in my usage ,and had only been used once before I bought it, according to seller .

I was more than happy because the unit they returned to me was newer than the unit I left with them.

A friend also had the same experience with his Vista CX.

Mine was well cared for. :( Never been dropped in my usage ,and had only been used once before I bought it, according to seller .

I was more than happy because the unit they returned to me was newer than the unit I left with them.

A friend also had the same experience with his Vista CX.

I have no doubt you cared for it well, but by your own admission the unit was rather "tired".

Bargain as not only was the screen cracked on the old unit, but the gasket was coming unstuck & the lanyard bracket was broken. Now all fixed. We consider that excellent customer service :D:)

You are proving my point perfectly, thank you!

Beat up old unit for a newer one = customer happy.

Almost new unit for a lucky dip on a reconditioned one = customer not always happy!

anyone had a reply from techsupp.europe@garmin.com? I sent an email a while ago and no reply yet :D

Nope. I emailed them on Sunday about my Colorado. No reply yet.

I think if I haven't heard from them by Friday I will try telephoning them.

Well no reply to my email, so I've just rung them. I must say I'm actually quite impressed by their customer service on the phone.

I have to send my broken unit in and they will send me an as-new refurbished unit with a year's warantee on it. I was expecting it to cost about £100 (because the screen is broken). It's going to cost me £85.64, plus what it costs for me to post it to them (special delivery with insurance, obviously).

The official turnaround is apparently 10 working days from when they receive it. We'll see how that goes, but I suspect it will probably be quicker than that.

Well you can add me to the list of people impressed by Garmin's customer service (although not their ability to answer emails). I was told to send in just the GPS (not even the carabina clip), which I did on Saturday. It was delivered to them on Monday morning.

This morning (Friday) I received the replacement Colorado. It looks like it's probably a brand new one. Not just the GPS, but an entire boxed one along with cables, carabina clip, CD, the full works. The back fits properly (unlike my last one, where there was always a gap along the bottom), which makes me think that at the very least it is newer than my old one.

I'm a happy bunny. Now I've just got to get it all set up how I like...

This morning (Friday) I received the replacement Colorado. It looks like it's probably a brand new one. Not just the GPS, but an entire boxed one along with cables, carabina clip, CD, the full works. The back fits properly (unlike my last one, where there was always a gap along the bottom), which makes me think that at the very least it is newer than my old one.

Want to sell me the surplus carabina clip?