Another new law

Something I repeat almost everyday I work, "Driving is your first priority while behind the wheel. You are responsible not only for yourself, but your passengers and everyone around you. When I work an accident it almost always boils down to either inattention or impatience as the cause of the accident. I'd rather write you a ticket for [insert violation] than work your accident." (The others are impaired or complete disregard to common sense, but are much fewer in frequency.)

If folks won't use common sense and keep their first priority on driving, then I do think it's time for a new law.

for one thing, you'd have to put down your coffee and your ipod.

Most folks have mastered the motor skills of putting cup to lips since they were still using the "sippy."

The iPod? Yeah, put it on a play list and then put it down.

The radio? That's why there's the scan and program functions--a lot less attention needed.

The CB? One hand to do the hand-to-mouth thing and then put the mic down. Not a whole lot of attention being diverted. In fact, there are many times I use the radio and don't remember using the mic or even putting it back. (In-car mounted police radio, that is.)

It's the devices that draw your attention away from driving that's the issue. I see too many folks who refuse to pull the cellphone from their ear to turn their head to check a blind spot.

When I work an accident it almost always boils down to either inattention or impatience as the cause of the accident. I'd rather write you a ticket for [insert violation] than work your accident." (The others are impaired or complete disregard to common sense, but are much fewer in frequency.)

I wanted to ask you something on the previous thread about this but it got too hot for me. I drive a darling little roadster.

0fe74812-85ee-46a9-9f64-138c5bed1495.jpg

I am a very careful driver. (Especially careful since my beloved says that immediately after I get my first ticket we will be exchanging cars.) Nonetheless, I often find SUVs driving into me and I have to quickly get out of their way. It doesn't happen with normal cars or trucks. It doesn't happen with tractor trailers. It doesn't happen with motorcycles. Only SUVs.

It doesn't seem to make a difference where I am in relation to them. It is as if their blind spot with regard to me extends all along the side and back of the vehicle and sometimes in front as well.

What is going on with this? Do they have bad visibility? Is it that the drivers are often distracted by children? Or the inset TVs? Is it that my profile (low to the ground) is impossible to see from their height?

Carolyn

Edited by Steve&GeoCarolyn

Most folks have mastered the motor skills of putting cup to lips since they were still using the "sippy."

unless there's something truly remarkable about you that we don't know, having ipod, GPS, and coffee cup in your hands ought to represent a challenge in keeping at least one hand on the wheel, regardless of how competent you are with each.

you also cannot deny that there are a number of accidents caused by improper use of coffee cup; too many people will choose not spilling the coffee over their responsibility to drive.

and don't tell me you've never seen a driver distracted by looking for the playlist that they want on their ipod?

as for cellphones, it isn't actually the physical use of them that makes one so impaired as a driver; it's the way a cellphone conversation uses brain function.

Good - Considering that it's literally more dangerous than driving drunk, hopefully they'll consider jail time for second offenses. I'm sick of having to dodge lunatics on the road only to look and see them with their noses buried in a cellphone.

Glad this madness hasn't hit this coast, yet. The mobile phone and texting bans I understand. GPSr? When I have it on Map I'm using it to find my way. Usually I wait for a spot where I'm clear of other traffic and potential hazards before I glance at it to see if Road 603 is coming up or where that little turn off is I don't want to miss. I'm quite careful with it. Same goes for iPod playing in the car. It has to wait. When I'm in danger of being severely distracted whilst driving I'll turn the radio off entirely.

Glad this madness hasn't hit this coast, yet. The mobile phone and texting bans I understand. GPSr? When I have it on Map I'm using it to find my way. Usually I wait for a spot where I'm clear of other traffic and potential hazards before I glance at it to see if Road 603 is coming up or where that little turn off is I don't want to miss. I'm quite careful with it. Same goes for iPod playing in the car. It has to wait. When I'm in danger of being severely distracted whilst driving I'll turn the radio off entirely.

Making the assumption that's CA for Santa Cruz... ARE YOU SURE... I'm sure I read an item on the limits

CA makes for navigation devices (GPS) in vehicles... not only not handheld, but with regard to mounting in relation to the window and the vision area in general... not to high, not on window except a limited zone... etc.

Don't assume anything... much of the mounting thing applies to everything from window stickers to plush dice... don't impair vision in or out.

Doug (in the other CA)

I think there are some common sense items, regarding placing anything which may distract the driver. Something most cars have which can be a distraction is a radio. I have met people who were involved in collisions because the other driver was trying to change channels or get the desired track on a CD to play. That falls somewhere under the broad definition of Distracted Driving.

As a rule I will not use my cell phone in the car while it is moving. If I'm stuck in a traffic jam I may use it to call and cancel an appointment or such. Taking calls I get off the road and park, first.

I think I still see at least 30% of drivers with a cell phone held up to their cheek while driving. I usually drive 80 miles/day and see a lot of it.

This is why I stated previously I take care when taking my eyes off the road to look at the GPSr only when I'm in the clear.

Did you know there once were in-dash phonographs built for cars? Imagine cueing up that next Harry James track while in the I-280 rush hour.

the gps needs to be in a dash mounted holder to enable you to glance at it while watching the road, otherwise the hand held gps is very distracting...................Texting while driving.....Please prepay your funeral expences!

I drive 70 miles everyday for work, mostly a two lane highway. Would you like me to tell you a few stories?

Personally I'm not going to shed a tear that you aren't allowed to flip through your gps for the next park and grab. Shut up, hang up, pay attention.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/injury/dro...e03/summary.htm

Old report and I'm sure things have changed since then.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/275387...ss-drivers.html

It's not the ticket I fear, it's where we're headed that scares the crap out of me.

What about that second link scares you? Is The Man really coming down too hard on people who kill others?

You get back in your car from finding a geocache. A mosquito inadvertently finds his way into your vehicle.

As you're driving thru town the mossie flies into your eye and briefly you look away clearly distracted. The kid who wasn't paying attention steps out into the street. You hit and kill him. The street cameras that are installed in your new police state catch you looking away. You go to jail for a really long time.

yea, a bit sensationalist. I'm scared cause the government in ever encroaching on my life.

It's not the ticket I fear, it's where we're headed that scares the crap out of me.

What about that second link scares you? Is The Man really coming down too hard on people who kill others?

You get back in your car from finding a geocache. A mosquito inadvertently finds his way into your vehicle.

As you're driving thru town the mossie flies into your eye and briefly you look away clearly distracted. The kid who wasn't paying attention steps out into the street. You hit and kill him. The street cameras that are installed in your new police state catch you looking away. You go to jail for a really long time.

yea, a bit sensationalist. I'm scared cause the government in ever encroaching on my life.

I'll say. If you glanced away for a second, then you'd probably have hit the kid anyway and the camera would exonerate you -- you do have the right to explain yourself when you're on trial. If it was longer, you should have stopped.

The laws in that article are better, in fact, than the ones banning usage. It's based on a real problem you caused rather than just what might happen.

Why would you want to hold your GPSr while driving? :P

I once saw a cute little airhead putting her contacts in while driving down I-75 near Detroit during rush hour. That was years ago and I am sure she is dead now. Traffic accident I suspect...Probably poked her eye out too :P

I am all for it myself. A driver is suppose to be driving the car, not watching tv or talking on a phone or texting. They are no more alert than a dang drunk. I don't feel the cops are intruding on me, I feel the airhead is intruding on my rights. We forget who the enemy is here.

I once saw a cute little airhead putting her contacts in while driving down I-75 near Detroit during rush hour. That was years ago and I am sure she is dead now. Traffic accident I suspect...Probably poked her eye out too :)

I am all for it myself. A driver is suppose to be driving the car, not watching tv or talking on a phone or texting. They are no more alert than a dang drunk. I don't feel the cops are intruding on me, I feel the airhead is intruding on my rights. We forget who the enemy is here.

... or looking at cute girls... :P sorry... way to easy... :)

When I work an accident it almost always boils down to either inattention or impatience as the cause of the accident. I'd rather write you a ticket for [insert violation] than work your accident." (The others are impaired or complete disregard to common sense, but are much fewer in frequency.)

I wanted to ask you something on the previous thread about this but it got too hot for me. I drive a darling little roadster.

I am a very careful driver. (Especially careful since my beloved says that immediately after I get my first ticket we will be exchanging cars.) Nonetheless, I often find SUVs driving into me and I have to quickly get out of their way. It doesn't happen with normal cars or trucks. It doesn't happen with tractor trailers. It doesn't happen with motorcycles. Only SUVs.

It doesn't seem to make a difference where I am in relation to them. It is as if their blind spot with regard to me extends all along the side and back of the vehicle and sometimes in front as well.

What is going on with this? Do they have bad visibility? Is it that the drivers are often distracted by children? Or the inset TVs? Is it that my profile (low to the ground) is impossible to see from their height?

Carolyn

"come in, over...come in, red alert....we got a stage 5 car bragger here....come in over"

I hope this spreads to other states as well and we soon see it nationwide! Distracted driving is DANGEROUS driving and could be deadly. Making up silly examples such as the cute blonde or the radio or whatever do nothing to sway my opinion of driviers who feel they need to endanger my life because they can't leave the phone alone. It's amazing how many people have those things up to their ear while driving, sickning!

If drivers would just pay attention for a bit, you can actually "see" when someone answers their phone...first, they slow down a good 10mph as they locate their phone, check to see who is calling and then actually answer, then it's the swerving as they distractedly relive their day or whatever is so important they can't conduct the business while at home or in a safe place. For me, a motorcyclist, it's very dangerous as I now have to interpret what your moves mean, whether you are going to turn and forgot your signal etc.

Combine that with the another dangerous habit many drivers have such as rolling stops...the dangers of the lady with the phone who already merely glances quickly as she decides to gun it in front of an oncoming car is now seriously upped!

When people learn that driving is a RESPONSIBILITY, we might all be safer on the roads!

Oh, and I think I already shared the story of the lady who was "lost" while driving ...she nearly hit me when she entered my lane while distractedly playing with her GPS...

Using the GPS while driving is fine as long as you leave the programming and button pushing for when stopped or before you start your trip. Glancing at the screen is about as dangerous as glancing at the speedo, it's when you try to play with it while driving where things get scary!

Glancing at the screen is about as dangerous as glancing at the speedo, it's when you try to play with it while driving where things get scary!

i try not to look at anyone wearing a speedo.

i am certainly not going to play with it.

What I noticed in that second article is that they say "...to unpeel a banana,...".

Now that I hear that, it kind of makes more sense than to say 'peel a banana/orange/potato' but I don't think I have ever heard anyone say 'unpeel'. Is it a UK thing?

"come in, over...come in, red alert....we got a stage 5 car bragger here....come in over"

Jealous? :) Bet that took her down a peg or two huh? :P

"come in, over...come in, red alert....we got a stage 5 little green monster here....come in over" :):P

jealous.jpg

Don't expect any tears from me. I've lost count how many times clowns with cell phones with the thought that their phone business is more important than the business of driving a car is more important. In 95% of the cases where I've had to take evasive action on the road it was due to some knothead texting or talking on a danged phone. Makes me wish they had cell phone jammers installed in cars to block the things from use while the car is in gear.

I'll bet that everyone that has posted so far has been guilty of using the cell phone while driving at least once. It is a good law...TN has all sorts of bans on cell phones and even a seatbelt law...but no matter how many laws you enact people are still gonna do what they want to do. How long have we had speeding laws? Nobody breaks those laws :P

yeah.

Naw, just hold your ipod w/ a few fingers in one hand, and the coffee in the same hand, then you've got a free hand to hold your GPS unit. (whew... I almost said unit, but then added GPS.....) and drive w/ your knees. It's a little hard to steer, but if you're just going straight down I35, you can surely go 75 MPH still, right?.... :P

Carolyn

Jack this bad-boy up onto some 36" mudders and people'll notice you! :P

Something I repeat almost everyday I work, "Driving is your first priority while behind the wheel. You are responsible not only for yourself, but your passengers and everyone around you. When I work an accident it almost always boils down to either inattention or impatience as the cause of the accident. I'd rather write you a ticket for [insert violation] than work your accident." (The others are impaired or complete disregard to common sense, but are much fewer in frequency.)

If folks won't use common sense and keep their first priority on driving, then I do think it's time for a new law.

And I repeat this just about every day.

I am sick of laws being made because a small majority of people can't utilize common sense.

To enter an address. That would be as bad as texting. Anyway, I'd guess that's the reason behind including them.

Implicit in all the arguments against cell phone use in cars is that the phone use is only a convenience, and that the danger obviously far outweighs the benefits -- that something which is "only a convenience" has little value.

Based on this premise, I have a proposal. I know a way to save ten times as many lives as eliminating cell phones in cars would save. It does nothing but eliminate the convenience of speeding.

I just read that one researcher estimates that cell phone use in cars kills 2,600 people per year. (I think this was in the US.) Cutting all speed limits in half would save at least 26,000 lives per year -- probably a good many more. 10 mph residential, 15 mph commercial, 20 mph arterial, 25-30 mph highway, 35 mph limited access.

So many lives saved. Such a reduction in property damage. Probably a quarter of a million disabling injuries per year eliminated. And so simple.

Can anyone claim with a straight face that our current street and highway speed limits cater to anything other than convenience over safety? The convenience of getting to the beach in half an hour instead of an hour? The convenience of living 30 miles from work instead of 15? The convenience of driving to a vacation spot 1000 miles away in two days instead of four (or instead of taking a train)? Remember, the premise established by the argument against cell phone use is that convenience has little value.

If you will actively support my proposal to cut speed limits in half, then rail away at cell phone use in cars, with my blessing. If you attack cell phone use in cars but refuse to support my proposal, then I accuse you of ... inconsistency, to put a pleasant face on it.

Edward

I am sick of laws being made because a small majority of people can't utilize common sense.

[rant]

A small majority???? I can drive five miles , get passed by 4 people (who are speeding, I drive at or below posted speed limits) and I can see at least 1, if not 2 of them talking on a cell phone. I do not see how you can call it a small majority when innumerable collisions happen every day, causing untold amounts of injury, monetary losses, insurance claims etc etc etc..... and the cause is distracted driving. I say this because of the high numbers of people I personally see very time I drive doing things that will eventually put them into a collision event. Distracted driving is only a part of the pie, but doing so causes people to do other things that can lead to a collision, such as speeding, running signal lights, unsafe lane changes, etc etc etc... My state has enacted distracted driving laws, mainly to be able to cite drivers who have caused a collision by driving distracted. Notice my bold letters. I did that because there is NO SUCH THING AS A ACCIDENT! Every collision happens because of specific reasons, what ever the reason may be. It never ever happens "by accident".

The preceding is my opinion, and is not subject to anyone's argument.

[/rant off]

The irony is that the law is completely unnecessary to catch those who drive like idiots when they use cell phones. It's called "reckless driving" in my state. The only thing the law does it permit the cops to pull over those who are not driving recklessly while on the phone. (Gasp! Yes, it can happen! It's all about knowing when to put down the phone.)

NO SUCH THING AS A ACCIDENT!

That's an odd thing to say...

Main Entry:

ac·ci·dent Listen to the pronunciation of accident

Pronunciation:

\ˈak-sə-dənt, -ˌdent; ˈaks-dənt\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin accident-, accidens nonessential quality, chance, from present participle of accidere to happen, from ad- + cadere to fall — more at chance

Date:

14th century

1 a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b: lack of intention or necessity : chance <met by accident rather than by design

2 a: an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance b: an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident> c: an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought d—used euphemistically to refer to an involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation

3: a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the accident of nationality>

... ah yes... your statement was just wrong. Alright then.

It is a sad fact of life that Carmen (the car) requires endless compliments so car bragging is a simple necessity at times; car maintenance, as it were. Of course, she is so cute that perfect strangers compliment her, ensuring that she is well-fed with praise. (I know they are perfect because they like Carmen.)

In this case the question was not an excuse to show her off (though that is always fun) but to find out why SUVs apparently want her dead. Any ideas? Perhaps it is jealousy? :P

Carolyn

The irony is that the law is completely unnecessary to catch those who drive like idiots when they use cell phones. It's called "reckless driving" in my state. The only thing the law does it permit the cops to pull over those who are not driving recklessly while on the phone. (Gasp! Yes, it can happen! It's all about knowing when to put down the phone.)

AMEN!

As I have said before. This is about MONEY! They make a law, pull people over who are doing nothing necessarily harmful, and collect the cash.

And people will still die on the roads!

What the heck is a small majority? 51%?

I work on the Washington State Ferries. Every single time I've loaded that car deck, at least 15 cars out of the 100 we carry come aboard on their cell phones. And this isn't a normal driving situation, this is a close-confines situation where you are driving within 1-3' of steel walls, unprotected deck workers and other passengers, and other cars. Workers have been hit and put on permanent disability by cell-phone-drivers. And it's already illegal, since the WSF are technically part of the highway system of WA.

I'm in favor of these sort of protective laws. Your right to live comes way above my right to fiddle with my GPS on the road.

NO SUCH THING AS A ACCIDENT!

That's an odd thing to say...

Main Entry:

ac·ci·dent Listen to the pronunciation of accident

Pronunciation:

\ˈak-sə-dənt, -ˌdent; ˈaks-dənt\

Function:

noun

Etymology:

Middle English, from Middle French, from Latin accident-, accidens nonessential quality, chance, from present participle of accidere to happen, from ad- + cadere to fall — more at chance

Date:

14th century

1 a: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b: lack of intention or necessity : chance <met by accident rather than by design

2 a: an unfortunate event resulting especially from carelessness or ignorance b: an unexpected and medically important bodily event especially when injurious <a cerebrovascular accident> c: an unexpected happening causing loss or injury which is not due to any fault or misconduct on the part of the person injured but for which legal relief may be sought d—used euphemistically to refer to an involuntary act or instance of urination or defecation

3: a nonessential property or quality of an entity or circumstance <the accident of nationality>

... ah yes... your statement was just wrong. Alright then.

I will repeat, my opinion is not subject to argument. Say what ever you want, drive however you want, ignore what ever laws that displease YOU, it is still my opinion. Driving distracted is what causes carelessness and/or ignorance. Thus, in MY OPINION, there is no such thing as accident. Call it what it is, a collision, and don't sugar coat it by trying to make it sound like it happened without cause or blame.

I will repeat, my opinion is not subject to argument. Say what ever you want, drive however you want, ignore what ever laws that displease YOU, it is still my opinion. Driving distracted is what causes carelessness and/or ignorance. Thus, in MY OPINION, there is no such thing as accident. Call it what it is, a collision, and don't sugar coat it by trying to make it sound like it happened without cause or blame.

My comment was specific to your assertion that there was no such thing as an accident. Your "opinion" is not supported by reality - that's what I was pointing out. There is nothing in the definition of the word "accident" (as used by the law) that abdicates blame, cause or responsibility.

Edited by Arrow42

What the heck is a small majority? 51%?

I work on the Washington State Ferries. Every single time I've loaded that car deck, at least 15 cars out of the 100 we carry come aboard on their cell phones. And this isn't a normal driving situation, this is a close-confines situation where you are driving within 1-3' of steel walls, unprotected deck workers and other passengers, and other cars. Workers have been hit and put on permanent disability by cell-phone-drivers. And it's already illegal, since the WSF are technically part of the highway system of WA.

I'm in favor of these sort of protective laws. Your right to live comes way above my right to fiddle with my GPS on the road.

My bad. It's been a long day.

I meant small minority.

Now, before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me 'splain.

While it is true that if you see an idiot driver, they are probably on their phone, if you look around at ALL drivers you would notice most drivers with their phone are driving just fine.

So, make it a law that the fine would quadruple if someone is guilty of an infraction while on their phone, fine. Ban all phone use while driving, balderdash!

My comment was specific to your assertion that there was no such thing as an accident. Your "opinion" is not supported by reality - that's what I was pointing out. There is nothing in the definition of the word "accident" (as used by the law) that abdicates blame, cause or responsibility.

Did I say that there was anything that specifies this?

No, I did not.

What I said specifically was what it makes it sound like, to me. It sounds like taking a unfortunate event and making it sound like there was not a specific cause, such as it happened by accident, and softening the emotional impact of the description. Collision is more emotionally hard hitting, and a far better description by definition of the event. No collision happens just by accident, there are reasons for it happening in the first place. That is why, in my opinion, there is no such thing as a accident, no matter what definition you can find.

Is it that my profile (low to the ground) is impossible to see from their height?

I think it's a combination of your ow profile, drivers of many SUVs aren't used to such a large vehicle, and an attitude of "I'm bigger, so I'm protected. Who cares about the other guy?"

I've not read any studies or anything, but just have observations from years of driving everything from motorcycles to big rigs, and nearly everything in between. Folks seem to think they can go from a Honda Accord to a GMC Yukon without adjusting their driving habits. If they learned to drive in a small car where you can simply do a slight turn of the head and cut of the eye to check a blind spot, that's what they're going to do in a much larger vehicle. In reality a blind spot is much larger and you have to check much more carefully.

While a low profile might be a problem as worse one is folks who see you as a pedestrian when, in fact, you're traveling much faster. Motorcyclist have it bad because when folks are driving on "auto pilot" they don't recognized a motorcyclist as another vehicle. They're used to seeing something car-sized or larger and a bike simply isn't. That and because it's smaller it appears to be further away at first glance. So distance and speed conspire to get "cagers" turn, and pull out, in front of motorcyclists. That's not to mention folks will bully a bike out of their way. A buddy had a guy look him in the eye while he was merging into his lane. "Yes, I know you're there. I see you're already occupying that lane, but I want it. No need for me to slow down or speed up. I'm bigger so get out of my way. Besides, what are you going to do about it?"

You definitely have to drive and think defensively. The fools are out in force.

:P I see the NYS law making body have expanded the "cell phone" law to include texting, also included is "holding the device" included are GPS's, comments?? At a $100.00 for just holding the device in your hand could be expensive.

personally I live in western NY and I whole heartedly believe in the texting while driving ban. hell I even agree with the GPS portion of the law. if I'm going somewhere I enter the address into my GPS BEFORE I start driving, not while I'm driving. on my way to work last week I saw 6 people on their cell phone's merge without looking. I probably saw 3 or 4 people actually texting while driving, and they obviously weren't paying attention. so the expanded cell phone law in NYS makes a whole world of sense to me.....