Google Earth KML Options Help Topic

mtn-man

First of all, for those that mistakenly say "I was one of the 200", I want to quote Raine (site developer).

Each view you did when moving the window of the network kml amounted to a small PQ. Now imaging someone constantly panning the window, over and over and over and over.. is it still hard to imaging that maybe that was a hit to the system?

Now to the people that balk at the 200 user count. The 200 user count was a number that I gave to Nate and Jeremy when we were looking at the system resources.. That number can be explained. I kept detailed logs of what IP was hitting and when it was hitting. I can tell you how many people used it and how many times they panned the map. The 200# was based on someone panning the map more than 500 times a day and has stuck now as the battle cry of people in this thread. That number doesn't count the many people who panned the map once or twice or even 100 times.

Yes the feature was a great addition to the site and yes, once again I'll say that I'm sad it had to go for now, I am looking for a better way to provide that type of functionality, though.

-Raine

Unless you were panning the map 500 times per day, you were not part of the 200. You were just another casual user of the GE KML. This is just a point of clarification since it seems that many are posting in the other topic but are not actually reading it.

** That is NOT the subject of this topic though. **

If you want to post a complaint, do it in the other topic please.

There are some options being discussed in that other topic, but they are lost in the noise of the current 12 pages. If you want to help people with other ideas, then please post them here. If you are looking for help with some of the other ideas, then ask for help here.

First off, you can drag any Pocket Query directly from the email right into Google Earth. Open Google Earth. Go to your email. Click on the attached file in the email and hold it, drag it over to the Google Earth window and let it go. Google Earth will zoom right in to the caches. Make sure the timer slider bar is open all the way. If not, Google Earth will display caches based on the date they were hidden depending on which version you are using.

Several people have mentioned the mapping page on the site. I will link to it again.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx

Harriet The Spy also posted a great post.

I like to have icons in Google Earth, so I have downloaded a free program called Google Earth Tweaker

After installing I drag and drop my gpx file, either a straight PQ fresh from the GC or one that I have created by hacking data in GSAK directly onto tweaker. Click the top bubble complete file. Tweaker then generates a .kml file. Then File-->Open-->your KML. Google Earth then flies to that location and you see your pretty caches.

Sometimes I am running short on my daily PQ's, so I like to preview them before making them go towards my daily count. Do everything you usually do when you set up your PQ, but do not click a day to run. Instead sumbit information, and then you get the message

"Thanks! Your pocket query has been modified and currently results in 500 caches. You can preview the search on the nearest cache page. " Click on preview search, then you get your pages of caches that you can browse through the caches.

You can then make a "real" pq either off of coordinates or cache pages. Then I like to build my kml file as listed above.

If you really really don't want to use your pq to see them, you can download the .loc files, dump into gsak, export a .gpx file and then lather rinse repeat.

As for posting pictures... right now there is a group of cachers in the NW giggling at the thought of me figuring out how to do that. Wait... they are all at Champoeg drinking and laughing because I am the only that didn't make it down there. :anicute:

There are three options. Hopefully others will post their constructive and productive ideas here too.

If you post a complaint in this topic, it will magically disappear, possibly with no explanation. You might get a nasty-gram from one of the moderators as well. We don't want to go there, now do we.

Thank you, and I hope everyone will be helpful in this topic.

Mtn-Man

Is this thread for suggestions on how to accomplish things one used the GE KML for using existing capabilities of the Geocaching.com site and third party tools, or can we also use it make suggestions to Raine of alternatives to provide some or all of the functionality? I though of starting a separate thread with the suggestion I have made several times for a PQ preview in Google Earth capability (it seems to get buried in all the "I'm one of the 200" posts). If it doesn't belong here, I will start another thread.

I think it would be more helpful, or at least less confusing, if suggestions/requests for the developers had a different thread. Just a thought.

If that happens I'll post this over there but for now here is an idea. On the geocaching.com maps we have the option of selecting the different cache types to show or not. Great as far as it goes. The problem is that the system still looks for all those caches. The map would be faster and more flexible if the system only looked for the selected cache types. Same with found and owned caches.

I also think if you don't want to discuss that thing you mention that you probably should just say that and not put forth the argument against it. Particularly starting the thread with such a focus. No disrespect intended. I'd like this thread to work just as much as you. Honest.

I used to use the .KML feature, but found I could do the same with other options like the one mentioned above - Google Earth Tweaker.

There is also a GSAK macro called myGoogleEarth that does a good job of exporting to GE and works great too.

I've been able to reproduce the .KML feature online - on a webpage and using a local icon on the server. This one is a little tricky, but, can be done with a good kml/xml file.

It's been a while since I checked my online one... no longer works (like I knew it wouldn't)... :P

Edited by wkmccall

If the KML will not be returning in any format, I would like to see the Google Maps on geocaching.com do a few things:

• Cache sampling past the 10km mark
  • Ability to select certain cache search in maps
  • County, Zip Code and other boundary lines
    And the biggest one
  • 3D Rendering - the ability to tilt the map to see the 3D version and view terrain.

This is just a few of the things that the KML was able to do and I would like to see the Google Map do since the KML has been discontinued.

Thanks.

I get the distinct impression that some of those most upset over the loss of the KML are unaware of the the new route creation tool that works great for planning trips.

http://www.geocaching.com/my/routeedit.aspx

Allows you to specify the start and end of a route. You can then click and hold your mouse anywhere on the route and create a blue dot that can be dragged to a new location to help customize the route you want to take. You don't have to save or upload the resulting route but you can then run a PQ on it. Most of the time, I have the results of that PQ within 5 minutes in my inbox.

Drop that GPX file result of the PQ into Google Earth for terrain and other planning. Just drag and drop a PQ into GE and it really works great - very nice and automated.

The difference is that we used GE to fine tune the rout before we ran the PQ. This way we need to figure out the route, run a PQ, open the GPX file, drop it in GE. Then we can look at the rout and associated caches as a unified picture. What we don't get is the caches off the route, say 10 miles. If we had the old tool we would see that cluster a few miles off the main rout and could decide if we wanted adjust the rout to pass through that cluster. Or am I missing something?

One of the things I miss most is the way the GE KML showed a representative picture of cache distribution as you zoomed out past the "event horizon" of the limited number caches displayed. The maps we have to use now just stop returning any results, often getting stuck for a period of time while it decides it can't do what you asked. Is there a way around this limitation?

So would there be some way to open a google earth browser window from geocaching.com? Like the way you can be looking at a a file in MapSource and say "open in Google Earth" ? Just wondering... cause then it could be a premium member feature.

Maybe using something like this Google Earth Outreach, which is embedded in the page.

http://earth.google.com/outreach/tutorial_kmlembed.html

Edited by Snap Happy Sara

I get the distinct impression that some of those most upset over the loss of the KML are unaware of the the new route creation tool that works great for planning trips.

Allows you to specify the start and end of a route. You can then click and hold your mouse anywhere on the route and create a blue dot that can be dragged to a new location to help customize the route you want to take. You don't have to save or upload the resulting route but you can then run a PQ on it. Most of the time, I have the results of that PQ within 5 minutes in my inbox.

Drop that GPX file result of the PQ into Google Earth for terrain and other planning. Just drag and drop a PQ into GE and it really works great - very nice and automated.

Fantastic Feature!

It works like Google Earth Pro USED to work - the ability to actually move the route to where you want it without having to do many different segments..

HUGE thumbs up on that addition! :D

I still think no matter how it's done, using GC to make/export and launch to Google Maps would still be same as the KML feature; the kml file would still have to be generated by GC.

What I do now, is I'll bring up a page of caches in an area I want to cache in, click the ALL box for the caches and download the page and let Google Earth open the .loc file. This way I get to see where they are and if I want to PQ the area.

.... hey,,, it's a work-around... :laughing:

Since the other thread has become less than helpful, I'll ask here.

We may be doing a Med cruise next year and the way I used the KML was to scan over to the ports and find a cache to use as center point for a PQ. It gave a nice clear view of the area.

Any suggestions as to the best way to quickly look around? The google maps have quite the delay.

Z

We may be doing a Med cruise next year and the way I used the KML was to scan over to the ports and find a cache to use as center point for a PQ. It gave a nice clear view of the area.

Any suggestions as to the best way to quickly look around? The google maps have quite the delay.

Z

How about if you use GE to locate the ports and note the coordinates? Then build a pq based on those coordinates. Open the zip files and drop them in GE. You have enough lead time that you can play with it and adjust the PQs until you get them just right. Not as simple as just opening the GE KML but it should get the job done, I think.

Got a tutorial for this? All I have managed to get is an error message.

Z

I'd recommend typing the name of the port in the zoom to address field on the Geocaching.com Google Map. Dragging the Google Maps can be a pain. The zoom to address will take right there. You don't need an address; the name of the city and country will do. Once there you can adjust the zoom and pan small distances to see what caches are available and decide where to center you PQs.

So would there be some way to open a google earth browser window from geocaching.com? Like the way you can be looking at a a file in MapSource and say "open in Google Earth" ? Just wondering... cause then it could be a premium member feature.

Since you mention it, this is the suggestion that I have made several times that I mentioned in post #2 of this thread. Why not have the ability to preview a PQ in Google Earth. This would be just like previewing it in Google Maps, and should cost the same for site to generate. It would launch Google Earth and show just the caches in your pocket query. Panning and zooming in Google Earth would not cause and other caches to be displayed. Since it's a preview, it doesn't count against your PQ limit to view it in Google Earth. I don't even think there is a need to fudge the coordinates in this solution. A tech savy user could save the KML from several previews and combine these in order to get the coordinates for many caches. If that is perceived as a way around the PQ limits, then Groundspeak could decide to fudge coordinates in the KML.

The map is broken tonight of course. Once you create the route and try to save the changes, the map errors out. I'll send message to Groundspeak about it. If you feel the need to further bash Groundspeak, take it to the other topic.

There is a tutorial right on the top of the page, but here goes.

When you click on the map without dragging it, a start point will be placed. When you click again, a finish point will be placed. Instantly, the map will draw the route. This is a key.

One way is to use the zoom slider bar to move out, or use your mouse wheel. Click and drag the map over to the area where you want to plan your route. Use the slider or mouse wheel to zoom in, then click and drag the map where you want it. Do the click method from above to do your start and finish point. It must be less than 500 miles.

The other way is to use the two text boxes and type in the starting point and ending point.

One thing this page does that Google Earth does not offer is the ability to drag the route to a detour area and tailor the route to your own driving path. That is awesome. You can use the zoom slider or the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and drag the map around to look at the route. Once the route is drawn, you will notice a yellow highlighted area. That is the area to be searched. Something else Google Earth did not give you. If you look below the map on the left, you see "Search Radius Hint". If you change that, the yellow highlighted area changes.

Edited by mtn-man

The map is broken tonight of course. Once you create the route and try to save the changes, the map errors out. I'll send message to Groundspeak about it. If you feel the need to further bash Groundspeak, take it to the other topic.

There is a tutorial right on the top of the page, but here goes.

When you click on the map without dragging it, a start point will be placed. When you click again, a finish point will be placed. Instantly, the map will draw the route. This is a key.

One way is to use the zoom slider bar to move out, or use your mouse wheel. Click and drag the map over to the area where you want to plan your route. Use the slider or mouse wheel to zoom in, then click and drag the map where you want it. Do the click method from above to do your start and finish point. It must be less than 500 miles.

The other way is to use the two text boxes and type in the starting point and ending point.

One thing this page does that Google Earth does not offer is the ability to drag the route to a detour area and tailor the route to your own driving path. That is awesome. You can use the zoom slider or the mouse wheel to zoom in and out and drag the map around to look at the route. Once the route is drawn, you will notice a yellow highlighted area. That is the area to be searched. Something else Google Earth did not give you. If you look below the map on the left, you see "Search Radius Hint". If you change that, the yellow highlighted area changes.

:D Ain't it always the way?

I saw the instructions but when I couldn't get it to work I figured I must be doing something wrong. Thanks anyway for the effort.