How many caches have you found in one day?

I think my record is 3 (when I've only got 8 or so, 3's not bad!!!!)......... :ph34r:

But there's gotta be some friends on here who have way more finds than that in a day!!!!!

I've got a geocaching day set up w/ fome friends and we're gonna try to find enough caches w/ difficulty/terrain ratings to get to 100!!!!!!!!!! (not 100 caches, but difficulty/terrain ratings of 100)

My friend put together the following for us to find in one day this Saturday, whaddya think?:

Living in a Van Down by the River

GC10Q79 mucluck ROCKS! - small N44 54.570 W093 11.934 4 star

GCJ4RG "I'm a Ford Man. That's All I Drive..." - regular N44 54.602 W093 11.788 "Not inside, not above" 4 star

GC1JA52 The Coolest Celebration on Earth - unknown N44 54.494 W093 11.802 4 star

GC1BP65 Thirty Sick Seas - small N44 54.507 W093 11.664 4.5 stars

GCR0N4 Haunted Falls - regular N44 54.570 W093 11.542 6.5 stars

GC1J5G1 Foot Bridges of Ramsey County (Hidden Falls) - small N44 54.405 W093 11.693 3 stars

GC1TFA8 Crazy Cat - small N44 54.445 W093 11.459 blue container with red lid 10 stars?

GC1J4BG Geocache - small N44 54.240 W093 11.380 4 stars

GCJ25J "Mission Possible?? Pretty Well Hidden Falls..." - regular N44 53.966 W093 11.320 7 stars "huge fallen tree"

GC10J1G Winter Carnival: Keep on Hunting (procession) - small N44 53.861 W093 11.303 3 stars

GC10J1J Winter Carnival: Keep on Hunting (look east) - small N44 53.837 W093 11.164 3 stars

GC10658 Boreas Rex LXXI (Don Schoeller) - small N44 53.786 W093 11.006 3 stars

GCYZM7 Two Rivers Overlook - small N44 53.742 W093 10.719 3.5 stars

GC1GVPD Are You Mucluck? - unknown N44 53.696 W093 10.524 3 stars

GC19XXG Hot Wax: Sail Along the Silvery Moon - regular N44 53.750 W093 10.353 4 stars

GC1CRXK Hot Wax: Without You - regular N44 53.812 W093 10.217 5 stars

GC1790M Halloween Hoopla: The Cache - regular N44 53.918 W093 09.970 4.5 stars

GC1HC00 DJRHJ Finds 1000! - regular N44 53.798 W093 09.976 4 stars

GC9DF1 Hot Wax: The Lion Sleeps Tonight - regular N44 53.746 W093 09.862 3 stars

GC1HBZX Cosmic Bowl of Bones - regular N44 53.838 W093 09.836 4 stars

GC1TRBZ Having a Ball! - regular N44 53.955 W093 09.821 blue container with red lid, must bring a ball 4 stars

GC1HC1T Mark Spitzen Hacks - regular N44 53.969 W093 09.696 4 stars

GC1GV3A Dutch Oven Cooking - regular N44 53.847 W093 09.692 4 stars

GC1V39W Floating Down the Mississippi - regular N44 53.837 W093 09.540 4 stars

GC14XXG OBG: Love the One You're With - regular N44 53.932 W093 09.548 "

From the giant tree with no head, face the island and tread Six paces to the left" 3 stars

GC1PQ90 Riverboat Down By the River - regular N44 53.906 W093 09.424 4.5 stars

GC1PP1D Giants Do Fall - micro N44 53.978 W093 09.256 "within reach" 4 stars

GCYPDZ T&A: Warrior Women: a.k.a. Diana - small N44 54.017 W093 09.385 4 stars

GC1H6YH OBG: No More Mr Nice Guy - small N44 54.132 W093 09.376 4.5 stars

GC1HBZ5 OBG: Monster Mash - small N44 54.101 W093 09.511 4 stars

GC10HE9 Winter Carnival Ice Palace: 2004 - small N44 54.059 W093 09.646 3.5 stars

Edited by GreenLantern5000

My personal best is 27 (Geowoodstock VII day) covering 10 different icons. Second best for me is 13 caches in a day.

The generally accepted "record" is 300+. About 314 or so. This was done by a team of people with dedicated drivers, navigators, searchers and signers. They spent weeks planning and researching the fastest route. They used locals to pre-confirm that the caches were still there (no "pre-finding"). They all stayed together within reason (no splitting up to find multiple caches at the same time). They video-taped it for proof. Yet still lots of people call them liars.

Personally, I remember all 27 caches found on my best day. I doubt the record holders can say the same.

I think if those caches are rated correcty, it would be nearly impossible to accomplish.

The cache that has a combined 10 star difficulty (i.e. 5/5)should take up the entire day (or more) all by itself.

The two caches with the combined 7 star and 7.5 ratings should likely take up the whole day between both of them.

That is if they are rated correctly.

The generally accepted "record" is 300+. About 314 or so. This was done by a team of people with dedicated drivers, navigators, searchers and signers. They spent weeks planning and researching the fastest route. They used locals to pre-confirm that the caches were still there (no "pre-finding"). They all stayed together within reason (no splitting up to find multiple caches at the same time). They video-taped it for proof. Yet still lots of people call them liars.

I thought they admitted to spliting up at some points, which is why it's not accepted by a lot of people as the record.

How many finds in one day? Heck, I don't even know how many finds I have total.

Without mapping out those caches and figuring the routs and all I'd say it is probably doable. Some have reported doing hundreds in a day. Doesn't sound like fun to me but hey, I wasn't with 'em. What ever makes 'em happy.

The day I got my record 63 was one of the most boring days of caching that I've ever had. The vast majority were film cannisters, each one placed at the base of a sign marking a benchmark, just off the shoulder of the road. About the only fun we had was our camaraderie (which was plentiful), joking about "where do you suppose it is this time", and such. (and had fun logging them as well).

Another of my record days, I remember at the end of the day, feeling like I had been in a watermelon eating contest and that I'd puke if I took just one more bite. I actually did stop for one more cache as I was heading home, saw the boulder that it would have been behind, but didn't even look. I turned and walked back to the car.

Edited by knowschad

My best day ever was 20. All along a 35 mile stretch of area in mid-Nebraska. I found them all in about a 6 hour time period with an hour off for lunch. I didn't set out to do that, My goal had been just 4 of them along the way. Most were regular sized with terrain 2 or 3 and difficulty 1 or 2.

Best multi-state day was 15 caches across 3 states Nevada, through Utah into Wyoming. About 520 miles of driving.

I forgot about the most states part of the question; four for me. I left Clemson, SC, and drove through Georgia and North Carolina on my way back to Tennessee once. And I've driven to southern Mississippi (TN-GA-AL-MS) and found a cache in each state a few times.

And in response to knowschad's watermelon eating reference: I felt that way once when I first started and had a goal of finding a cache a day for as long as I could. I believe I made 6 days. On the 7th day I pulled into the parking lot, decided that I just couldn't face the underside of another light post anchor bolt cover, and drove home. That run almost made me stop caching.

How many finds in one day? Heck, I don't even know how many finds I have total.

Without mapping out those caches and figuring the routs and all I'd say it is probably doable. Some have reported doing hundreds in a day. Doesn't sound like fun to me but hey, I wasn't with 'em. What ever makes 'em happy.

The day I got my record 63 was one of the most boring days of caching that I've ever had. The vast majority were film cannisters, each one placed at the base of a sign marking a benchmark, just off the shoulder of the road. About the only fun we had was our comradery(which was plentiful), joking about "where do you suppose it is this time", and such. (and had fun logging them as well).

Another of my record days, I remember at the end of the day, feeling like I had been in a watermelon eating contest and that I'd puke if I took just one more bite. I actually did stop for one more cache as I was heading home, saw the boulder that it would have been behind, but didn't even look. I turned and walked back to the car.

We have tried. Three times we have tried. The longest we ever managed to keep at it was 2 hours. Got bored, found an internet connection and picked a cache more suited to our enjoyment. While those that choose to concentrate on the numbers are welcome to do so it makes no sense to me.

Most finds in one day? 30. Three of us helping my sister with the Maine deLorme Challenge. Couldn't get my brother to stop!

Most states in one day? Three, I think. Several times. Most recently: New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland. Virginia, North Carlina, Tennessee. & Virginia, Kentucky, West Virginia. All on one trip. Did 87 caches and 11 states in 8 days.

Best multi-state day was 15 caches across 3 states Nevada, through Utah into Wyoming. About 520 miles of driving.

I didn't see the "most-states" part of the question, but that would be South Dakota, Wyoming, and Nebraska last fall, and several of those were StartBrand's caches. I don't remember how many in South Dakota that day because I've cached there several times, but my "states cached in" map shows that I hit 12 in Wyoming and 25 in Nebraska that day.

Taking the loooong way home, Moosiegirl and I did North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio (side jog 5 miles), Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Tennessee, and ended up in Mississippi the day after GW5. Roughly 20 hours driving. We only did a couple caches in each state to make it home on time.

When I cache with my kids, they're ready to quit after the second one and get downright surly if I take them to a third.

On my own, my "best" day was a dozen found with one DNF. I really enjoyed the day, as it was snowing a blizzard in June, and there was something kind of bizarre about being outdoors on a day like that. I covered probably 100 miles of ground, all things considered. It was fun. But by the end of the day I felt like I was able to predict where the containers would be just from looking at the general area, and all the cache contents were looking alike. I decided that day that geocaching was not a numbers game for me.

For states, it is four for me. KS, NE, MO and AR before going to GW in Texas.

I found 100 in one day, my 11 hour and 6 minutes run. I just wanted to know how long it would take me to find 100 caches. I had a great time spending the day with JoGPS. He was nice enough to drive me around and at the end of the day he took me to a couple of special fun caches (included in the time and quantity above). I'll never forget it.

Found over 100 in a day several times. Friend of chad is correct in that the true fun on days like this is the camaraderie, laughter, and shared experience. It's hard to find too many really memorable caches on those day, but we usually end up with 2-3 out of the bunch.

Most states in a day is also four. I was headed to a gathering in Nashville. I stopped on the way to the airport to find one here in NC, found a few near the airport there, then jumped on I 65 for a quick dash into KY for a few and then a reversal south on the interstate to find some in AL. Then I joined my friends there for dinner and drinks.

I think I've found a total of 25 total in the past two years (I'm a fair weather 'cacher)...

Though, I have to say that for me it's the journey to the cache that's the real appeal to me. I like exploring new areas, hiking off the beaten path, etc. It doesn't seem like finding 30+ in the day would be terribly enjoyable.

We have tried. Three times we have tried. The longest we ever managed to keep at it was 2 hours. Got bored, found an internet connection and picked a cache more suited to our enjoyment. While those that choose to concentrate on the numbers are welcome to do so it makes no sense to me.

We're of the same mind. Our worst day geocaching saw our highest number of caches (8). We both ended up with sick headaches from the gas fumes (most of the caches were in gas stations) and being in the car too much. Then my head exploded when I tried to remember the details well enough to log all of them. That experience taught us that we would never be high number cachers.

We have a personal limit of no more than 5 in a day and prefer to hover around 2-3, preferably in nice hiking areas or beautiful nature preserves with boardwalks over the swamp.

Found over 100 in a day several times. Friend of chad is correct in that the true fun on days like this is the camaraderie, laughter, and shared experience.

I think that is why the experience doesn't appeal to us as much as it does to other people. We are mostly loners who enjoy the experience of being quietly alone together outdoors. I don't want to sound like some sort of people-hating curmudgeon (I'm not), but getting away from people for a while is one of the things I like about geocaching.

That said, I'm glad that other people find camaraderie, laughter, and joy doing numbers runs. It's just not for us.

Carolyn

For me it depends on alot of things...

How much time do I have, how far apart are they, etc..

I normally like to find about 3-5 a day or trip out...

But that depends on how much time I have and how far apart they are... I mean if you end up hitting a park or trail that is a cache rich enviorment, I could see rack'em up if your on a roll...

But I really like the hikes looking for these take me on... For several reasons, I like the outdoor sceenery and Honestly, I'm lazy... Finding the cache gets me motivated to keep walking, where as I would not otherwise....

My highest daily find total is 33. I had to travel across country to do it and spend more time geocaching in one day that I'd ever done before and since.

My next best is 22(within 30 miles of home) when I had "most" of the day free to go geocaching. My daily average, after 850 finds over 2.5 years is 3.5 finds a day.

I've found caches in three different states in one day (Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont). I have found caches in 17 different states, six different countries, and three different continents. I'll probably and two more countries (France and Peru) and another Continent near the end of the year.

Man, many of you guys are making me feel like a real power cacher, even on my worst days! I suppose, as with many aspects of geocaching, its a regional thing. We have many cachers here with more than 5K finds, and a number of them with more than 10K (and one with over 2K hides, LOL!) , so I'm really no great shakes on the local scale, even with almost 3700 finds in about 5 years. One local cacher found more than that in his first year alone!

The generally accepted "record" is 300+. About 314 or so. This was done by a team of people with dedicated drivers, navigators, searchers and signers. T..........

I thought they admitted to spliting up at some points, which is why it's not accepted by a lot of people as the record.

I believe these Danish cachers have the closest thing to a legitimate one-day record (315):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=194370&hl=

I think if those caches are rated correcty, it would be nearly impossible to accomplish.

Yep. I agree.

It's an interesting concept though but not as difficult as you might think.

Most drive-ups are probably rate 1/1.5 for a total of 2.5 per cache. You'd only need 40 of those to hit a 100.

On the other hand, achieving a total of 100 on terrain alone would require a string of 25 four star terrain caches or 33 three star terrain caches. That would be quite a challenge.

Man, many of you guys are making me feel like a real power cacher, even on my worst days! I suppose, as with many aspects of geocaching, its a regional thing. We have many cachers here with more than 5K finds, and a number of them with more than 10K (and one with over 2K hides, LOL!) , so I'm really no great shakes on the local scale, even with almost 3700 finds in about 5 years. One local cacher found more than that in his first year alone!

I guess it does help to live in a cache-rich area, Knowschad, as you do.

I live in an area where there's only like 60 some caches within a 10 miles radius. It's that sparse.

On my stats on my profile page, out of my 184 finds as of this post, I found 58 of those caches in that 10 mile radius. The rest of my finds were more than 10 miles away.

So back on topic, 21 finds in a day is the most for me and all of those 21 finds was spread out around 30-40 miles radius in a rural area, so I spent a lot of time driving from cache to cache. So I thought those 21 finds were pretty good as it was done over about a 12 hour period. I estimate I spent about 3-4 hours driving that day

As for states, MI & WI lots of times as I live on that border.

I believe these Danish cachers have the closest thing to a legitimate one-day record (315):

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=194370&hl=

OK, thanks. I feel normal again.

Well, many "power cachers" don't post here. So yeah, you're normal. Me 23 in one day. Woohoo! And three States in one day (NY, Pa and NJ). I didn't even notice that until one of these "how many States in one day" threads came up a couple of years ago. And I'm quite sure the number of States in one day record probably happened in New England. :anicute:

I think my top is 8 or 9 in one day. Maybe that seems lame, but I've rarely gone out to only seek geocaches. I think I could do pretty well if I did, there are some rather *cough* congested *cough* areas near by, where I could score a dozen in a short hike, but I generally only target a handful each trip out.

This is probably why I have only 198 finds in 6+ years, though my eTrex Vista conking out figured in there somewhere, too.

I have picked up my rate this year and planted a few more caches. My first is at the end of a fairly strong hike, so sees about 4 visits a year. A couple placed nearby are racking up finds almost daily.

On fathers day last month, myself and 3 other "dads" got a day of caching gift from our wives and since it was the longest day of the year we decided to cache from dawn to dark. We planned our route and we found 128 during daylight. Most were about 100 meters or less from the car except for a series of 8 in a 4 km stretch hike. We packed food and water so we didn't have to stop to refuel. We started out at 4am and got home around midnight, we started about 100km from home. One of my best days caching ever.

One day personal best: 240. It was fun, but I don't feel a need to do it again. I someday want to find 100 in a day all by myself, with no advance planning, phone a friends or other assistance, 'cause that's my style.

Most states in a day: Four -- Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri and Iowa. Lots of ties for second place with three in one day:

Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio

Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont

New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island

Nevada, Arizona, Utah

Ohio, Michigan, Indiana

My record is around 50...but it was totally accidental. We like hiking in the mountains about 50 miles away. Right below them there's a little town with 2K+ caches, and all the trails have caches every tenth of a mile. We've hit that fifty mark several times, but never planned on it. Someday I might do some urban caching there to get a 100 day...who knows.

PS they have lots of good ones, and one 30-mile road where all the caches are above 3 on the difficulty end.

Most states is 2. The states around here are big.

How about DNFs in a day?

My personal best : 4

Oh, come on! That's way too easy. I did that today, without even trying. (31 finds, though) :P

See, I think that a lot of people, especially those that are married, maybe have families, have other interests, lawns to mow, dinner to fix, stuff like that, have to really work it to get one or two hours of caching on a weekend. Some of us that don't have all those blessings (cough!) can get up at 5 a.m. and get back home at 7 p.m. and be up logging our finds util 10pm. I am fully aware that others have more blessings that I do. :P

35 in one day is my record, set today (7/18/09). I wasn't going for beating my previous daily record of 25; it just turned out that way.

I was, however, trying to pick up some additional counties in my quest to get all 83 counties in Michigan during my first summer of caching. Got 7 counties today, but had hoped for 9. That brings my total to 34 counties in just under 2 months.

Also, just passed the 300 cache mark today and ended with 317. So, it was a good day for caching.

As far as states go, I'm purposely focusing on Michigan until I achieve certain goals in my home state first.

My record for DNFs is 5 DNFs, 1 Found it on a trip to Hell's Kitchen. Peripatetic geocacher owner for four of the five). 2 have not been found since, and are most likely missing, and not replaced. One a tough hide that we have since found. One right next to the guard shack. (We aroused the suspicion of the guard.) The other we found, but did not have the proper equipment to remove from its hiding spot, especially with the feet of people waiting on line a foot or two away. Several days with three DNFss.