Puzzle cache: how far from listed coordinates

Are there any rules or guidelines regarding how far a puzzle cache can or must be from its listed coordinates?

I realized they should not be "too far" away, so that a location or zip code search gives something relevant. I know I would hate to have one in my neighborhood that would require me to travel to another state to find. On the other hand, if I know it has to be within a few minutes of the posted coordinates, I (or others) might be able to cheat and narrow down the possible answers.

So what are the rules?

And how far away is challenging enough for mathematical puzzles, but close enough to be useful in a location search?

Are there any rules or guidelines regarding how far a puzzle cache can or must be from its listed coordinates?

Yes. The guidelines (and remember, they are only guidelines, not rules so don't let them cramp your style! :ph34r: ) are here

They suggest that;

"Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of trackables that find their way into the cache reasonably correct".

If you need/want to make the distance larger, it is probably best to drop your local reviewer a note first and seek their opinion before you put the cache in place.

Best of luck

Mike

(edited for bannananana-fingered typos)

Edited by Von-Horst

From the Cache Listing Requirements / Guidelines:

"Mystery or Puzzle Caches... Unless a good reason otherwise can be provided, the posted coordinates should be no more than 1-2 miles (2-3 km) away from the true cache location. This allows the cache to show up on the proper vicinity searches and to keep the mileage of trackables that find their way into the cache reasonably correct."

How does that sound? :ph34r:

MrsB

Edited to add: Can you feel the Welsh vibes sweeping in across the Atlantic today? :lol:

Edited by The Blorenges

And how far away is challenging enough for mathematical puzzles, but close enough to be useful in a location search?

No idea on that one I'm afraid.

The one thing you can be sure of is that those who want to 'cheat', will - be it (for example) by solving your puzzle in their own way or by simply PAF.

Its probably easier not worrying about cheaters too much and making your cache one that will be fun to solve the right way so as to maximise the experience for the majority of people who look for it.

Mike

You can increase the difficulty simply by having the coordinates close to a change in the minutes (e.g. 42° 55.998') or the degrees (e.g. 42° 59.998'). Too often, it's easy to break a code by assuming the degrees and minutes are the same as the posted ones.

Edited by Dinoprophet

I have one that is 36.488 miles from the posted coordinates.

See The Precise Career of Col. Benjamin Rolfe.

And yes, I had a good reason and yes, I worked closely with my wonderful reviewer to make it happen. And no, it doesn't get found much but the finders seem to appreciate it.

Curiously, my reviewer said that it is theoretically possible that another cache could be placed within 528 feet of my final in the future and nobody would really know! From a database standpoint I find that fascinating.

Curiously, my reviewer said that it is theoretically possible that another cache could be placed within 528 feet of my final in the future and nobody would really know! From a database standpoint I find that fascinating.

Probably not. That cache was published in 2006, well after Additional Waypoints were required. So while the cache placer might not know it, the reviewer would, and the cache most likely wouldn't get published.

I will admit to having strong-armed an FTF on a mystery cache that I could not solve. I knew the park from the previous cache. That left about a 700' by 100' part to be searched. We were lucky and found it! Beat out the 3rd and 4th to find by 15 minutes. Boy, were they might miffed! Hee hee hee.

So, it you put the cache too close, it might be easy to find.

I'm trying to set up my first Puzzle Cache. Question: Do you set the actual coordinates and GeoCaching fudges it or do I fudge them and somehow communicate to GeoCaching the actual?
You list the bogus coordinates as the posted coordinates, and list the actual coordinates as an additional waypoint, with access to the additional waypoint restricted to the owner (you) and reviewers (who will check that the location meets the guidelines).

You have read the guidelines, haven't you?

I'm trying to set up my first Puzzle Cache. Question: Do you set the actual coordinates and GeoCaching fudges it or do I fudge them and somehow communicate to GeoCaching the actual?
You list the bogus coordinates as the posted coordinates, and list the actual coordinates as an additional waypoint, with access to the additional waypoint restricted to the owner (you) and reviewers (who will check that the location meets the guidelines).

You have read the guidelines, haven't you?

My bad. The reviewer sent along a link to the waypoint instructions. As I have only done traditional caches to this point and waypoints weren't en vogue when I planted my first cache long ago, I missed that bit.

Cache is published this morning. Whee!

(It was to be in another park as a traditional cache, but was bumped by someone setting up a cache within 228 feet, so I had to move it. I found some neat junk being thrown away at work and made a vastly better container after a visit to the hardware store. I only decided to make it a puzzle while I was traveling last weekend.)

Probably not. That cache was published in 2006, well after Additional Waypoints were required. So while the cache placer might not know it, the reviewer would, and the cache most likely wouldn't get published.
I know, and I use additional waypoints, that's what I found so odd about his statement.

I think that back in 2006 the reviewers did not have automatic tools to check proximity to hidden waypoints. They had to manually look at all the puzzles within a couple of miles and manually compare the additional waypoints. That's why your reviewer made the comment he did. Later, an automatic tool was created which made this check infinitely easier.

Would it be OK to make a map that had a picture hint and coordinates, cutting it in to four pieces and then hiding them in caches In an area? Then putting the secret cache in that same area (I,m talking state here) and leting the pieces of the map get spread around? There would be more than just one copy of each piece (maybe ten) ?????????????

Would it be OK to make a map that had a picture hint and coordinates...and leting the pieces of the map get spread around? There would be more than just one copy of each piece (maybe ten) ?????????????

Yes.

You could release the pieces of the map or coordinates as travel bugs.

For examples, see here and here.

Mike

depends on the cache and the owners intent. Some puzzle caches are complicated puzzles that may take people a while to solve and can be solved at home while others at location puzzle caches where you are asked a group of question about the location and sometimes the cache is in walking location from the place you got the answers to the 'puzzle'

There is one puzzle cashe that the location to find the answers is 15 miles from the location of the cache. I have heard of others which are MUCH further.

I guess it depends LOL One cache I found was feet from where we collected the information. It all has to do with intent of the cache.

edited to add..

i got my answer to this simply by the local puzzle caches in my area.. (one of which happends to be the previous posters The Precise Career of Col. Benjamin Rolfe)

complex puzzle caches make my brain hurt. Maybe when i loose my mommy brain they will be more interesting LOL

Edited by blueberryice