geocaching in the news

If it makes Geocachers feel any better, it is not just the sport of 'Geocaching' that gets this treatment. With another sport call 'Trailing' (among other names _ I'm a muggle/squib to their game) a 'hare' leaves a trail of flour for other runners to follow. This has turned up in various articles around the world branded as terrorism, anti-environmentalist, anti-animals, dog poison, etc…

Unfortunately not all news about geocaching is good news. A geocache concealed in an old pipe caused quite a stir in Merced, Calif. The bomb squad was called out to handle this suspected pipe bomb after a gardener saw a suspicious man hide it under a bush and proceeded to "flee on a bicycle."

Check out the story here: http://www.mercedsunstar.com/167/story/953243.html

If only the bomb squad would log onto the caching websites before blowing stuff up.....

Unfortunately not all news about geocaching is good news. A geocache concealed in an old pipe caused quite a stir in Merced, Calif. The bomb squad was called out to handle this suspected pipe bomb after a gardener saw a suspicious man hide it under a bush and proceeded to "flee on a bicycle."

Whilt they are csometimes alittle overly keen to make things go 'Boom', you can't really blame the police all the time.

We found this being used as a geocache in California;

3a3500db-3e5b-44c7-a180-fd9139902dfa.jpg

Mike

If only the bomb squad would log onto the caching websites before blowing stuff up.....

Not gonna happen. A suspected bomb is gonna get "Made Safe" even if a cache owner is standing right there. If the Bomb Squad is gonna make a mistake it will be blowing up something that was not a bomb and not the other way around.

I have a cache that is hidden on a bridge that Prince Andrew was due to cross, and the anti terrorist people didn't find it! :ph34r::lol:

However a friend hid a cache near to the approach to Gatwick airport. Someone did it at night and their torch was seen by anti terror people. That cacher was given a rigorous questioning by people with guns and dogs. He also got a night to remember. There is now a warning on said cache!

I have a cache that is hidden on a bridge that Prince Andrew was due to cross, and the anti terrorist people didn't find it! :ph34r::lol:

However a friend hid a cache near to the approach to Gatwick airport. Someone did it at night and their torch was seen by anti terror people. That cacher was given a rigorous questioning by people with guns and dogs. He also got a night to remember. There is now a warning on said cache!

'torch'...love it. it's so nice to read the forums and get reminded of the different words people use in different countries. i knew the british used torch for flashlight, but forgot til i saw this.

'torch'...love it. it's so nice to read the forums and get reminded of the different words people use in different countries. i knew the british used torch for flashlight, but forgot til i saw this.

I sometimes use flashlight but mostly torch. Possibly cause Im lazy, why say 2 words when you can say one. Think Ireland has a lot of American influences though, so maybe thats why Flash Light and Torch get used here.

Thankfully I havent got stopped by the police yet. But if do I will likely be pretty scared cause Im one of these people who likes to keep away from the law at all times.

Claire xx

Whilt they are csometimes alittle overly keen to make things go 'Boom', you can't really blame the police all the time.

We found this being used as a geocache in California;

3a3500db-3e5b-44c7-a180-fd9139902dfa.jpg

Mike

What's the scale on that? 3", it's a waterpoof match container. 3' and I'm calling the police.

I have a cache that is hidden on a bridge that Prince Andrew was due to cross, and the anti terrorist people didn't find it! ;):D

Why assume he means a flashlight? Maybe it really was a torch? :anicute:

4052-gothic-resin-garden-wooden-torch-1.jpg

Why assume he means a flashlight? Maybe it really was a torch? :anicute:

4052-gothic-resin-garden-wooden-torch-1.jpg

I think the terms are 'burning torch' and 'electric torch' which just became 'torch' because burning torches aren't used in this day and age and 'electric torch' sound too '60's retro'. However, I think flashlight is a better way to differentiate between a burning torch and an electric torch.

That's it I've change my lexicon, I will call them flashlights from now on.

I think the terms are 'burning torch' and 'electric torch' which just became 'torch' because burning torches aren't used in this day and age and 'electric torch' sound too '60's retro'. However, I think flashlight is a better way to differentiate between a burning torch and an electric torch.

I'm sorry, my comment was not serious - it was just a failed attempt at humor.

Now that has been decided... When you store one in your car... will it end up in cubby hole or the boot?

Doug 7rxc Elkford British Columbia

Now that has been decided... When you store one in your car... will it end up in cubby hole or the boot?

:P I see what you are trying to do here. :P

Out of respect of the OP I'll give my answer in a new topic: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=226935