Made in USA solicitation?

siders

I recently placed a cache titled Made in the U.S.A. I was asked to revise my cache due to it being a cache that solicites. Made in the U.S.A. was my theme. In my description I said that it seems that now days anything you buy is made in China, Mexico or India. I thought it would be a neat idea to place a cache containing items made in the U.S.A. only. Upon review by the volunteer I was asked to "tone down my buy American message". I wasn't trying to tell people buying from contries elsewhere is bad I just thought it was a neat idea to find how many items we could get in the cache that were made in the great country we live in. Just trying to be patriotic that's all. I was not trying to push any political platform or place the USA about any other country even though I believe we live in the greatest nation on earth. Has anyone else had this type of idea shot down? What did you do?

My Father told me that, following WWII, the Japanese (who at the time had a reputation for producing cheap junk) exported products that were stamped with Made in USA (no periods), after a town in Japan by that name. Of course, the wonders of the internet now reveal that Dear Old Dad was simply passing along an urban legend.

That was more than just an anecdote, however. I was thinking that you could name the cache "Made in

USA".

But seriously, your reviewer is concerned that your cache is promoting an agenda... which it is. That isn't a judgement call on your agenda... its simply calling it as it is.

Edited by knowschad

Very interesting! Is your cache promoting an agenda - yes - the agenda is "stuff that is made in the U.S.A. is cool." Just like this cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-85c861514a1b - where the agenda is "stuff that has to do with Texas is cool". Well, duh. :lol:

Seems to me that maybe the reviewer should rethink this.

Would anyone have anything against being in Tokyo and looking for a cache with the theme "Made in Japan" or in Amsterdam with a "Holland stuff" theme? Nope. So what's wrong with a "Made in America" theme?

I just recently found a cache that asked that the only stuff that be left have a "honey bee" theme. I wonder if this offended the grasshoppers or the yellow jackets. :ph34r:

Very interesting! Is your cache promoting an agenda - yes - the agenda is "stuff that is made in the U.S.A. is cool." Just like this cache - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...93-85c861514a1b - where the agenda is "stuff that has to do with Texas is cool". Well, duh. :D

Seems to me that maybe the reviewer should rethink this.

Would anyone have anything against being in Tokyo and looking for a cache with the theme "Made in Japan" or in Amsterdam with a "Holland stuff" theme? Nope. So what's wrong with a "Made in America" theme?

I just recently found a cache that asked that the only stuff that be left have a "honey bee" theme. I wonder if this offended the grasshoppers or the yellow jackets. :lol:

Even reviewers are aware of the fact that Texas needs God's blessings :ph34r:

To the O.P.: you have the option of appealing to Groundspeak if you don't feel the reviewer's decision was correct. Whatever we say here will have no bearing on your cache being published.

It goes to question whether or not you could have a cache that was themed "made in China"?

I think what we have here is reverse discrimination. Just a guess.

I see nothing wrong with it other than the fact that Geocaching is a worldwide activity and it "seems" like it "could" be construed as anti-foreign.

Frakkin P.C. country we live in....

It goes to question whether or not you could have a cache that was themed "made in China"?

I see nothing wrong with it other than the fact that Geocaching is a worldwide activity and it "seems" like it "could" be construed as anti-foreign.

I don't think the same reviewer would publish a Made in China cache, either. This isn't reverse discrimination, I'm certain.

*however*... I sense a cache series. :ph34r:

I agree. I'm all for keeping social agendas, and promoting awareness for one's favorite cause out of geocaches but this one goes a bit far. I've "theme" caches which ask that only swag of a certain color be traded. Are these caches going to be archived because they're promoting "blue" awareness?

On the other hand, I recently saw an post here from someone that wanted to promote "green" practices. I don't have anything against "green" practices in general (I even own a hybrid vehicle) but I'm getting a bit tired of "green" awareness in my face. We used to have a real nice cafe where used to go every morning for a morning coffee a pastry and the local paper. but it was closed down. Now, the nearest coffee is from a "green" cafe that has all these "healthy" food items and sometimes I just want to scream "just give me a fricken chocolate donut".

Would you mind posting the cache page text? I can see a very fine line here between an agenda ("Buy American!!") and a theme ("American-made products only please").

I would not consider the Texas one an agenda. It's not encouraging you to do something or informing you of an issue. It's merely a theme cache with a lot of history on the page.

I've "theme" caches which ask that only swag of a certain color be traded. Are these caches going to be archived because they're promoting "blue" awareness?
I think it depends on how the color is presented. Having a "Roses are Red" cache and a "Violets are Blue" cache is different from having a "Red Ribbon to Support AIDS Research" cache and "Blue Ribbon to Support Prostate Cancer Research" cache.

I recently placed a cache titled Made in the U.S.A. I was asked to revise my cache due to it being a cache that solicites. Made in the U.S.A. was my theme. In my description I said that it seems that now days anything you buy is made in China, Mexico or India. I thought it would be a neat idea to place a cache containing items made in the U.S.A. only. Upon review by the volunteer I was asked to "tone down my buy American message". I wasn't trying to tell people buying from contries elsewhere is bad I just thought it was a neat idea to find how many items we could get in the cache that were made in the great country we live in. Just trying to be patriotic that's all. I was not trying to push any political platform or place the USA about any other country even though I believe we live in the greatest nation on earth. Has anyone else had this type of idea shot down? What did you do?

The issue goes back quite some time. Please read this previous debate regarding the use of the phrase "Support our troops." The owners of the site would prefer the game to remain the hunt for "boxes under bushes" or "trash under lampposts." I can understand and accept their rule that the game remain a light hearted activity.

I'm happy to report that the cache owner did a great job of working with the reviewer to get the cache to fit within the guidelines. I just published the cache. It reads like a theme cache, not an agenda cache. I also think it is in a cool spot that I'd like to visit someday!

I'm happy to report that the cache owner did a great job of working with the reviewer to get the cache to fit within the guidelines. I just published the cache. It reads like a theme cache, not an agenda cache. I also think it is in a cool spot that I'd like to visit someday!

Cool - glad it was relatively minor issue. :ph34r: