Training a Dog to find geocaches?

Not a dog, but I have tried it with clams, with limited success

That was pretty funny.

Clams can be trained but it's easier to do if you glue a compass to it's shell... and then spin the clam quickly.

Their nautral sense of direction will always point towards the geocache.

If it dose not work you must eat the clam to ensure the genitic flaw is not passed down to other clams.

snow

Is it possible to train a dog to hunt for a geocache?

How would you go about trainning a dog to do this?

Just curious.

Snow

I'm not sure that there would be a consistant smell for the dog to home in on. Ammo cans probably have a consistant scent to them. Peanut butter jars too, but quite different. Lock & Locks/Rubbermaid, etc... polyethelene smell.

All would have human scent on them, of course, but in many environments, there would be many other objects with human scent on them as well.

I did, however, work with my dog a little bit (very little), and once at a cache where I wasn't trying to train him, he was out running around when I found and replaced the cache. I then got a phone call, and as I was talking, I heard a sound, turned around, and there was my dog with the cache in his mouth! Of course, he probably just picked up on my scent.

It's been discussed on the forum before that a dog could, maybe, be trained to smell out ammunition, would be able to smell the residue of an ammo can's past life, and so be able to sniff out an ammo can.

Besides that, I doubt it's possible. Caches are all so different, I don't think they have a scent in common that's not a thing that's everywhere like ink or paper.

yes, you can. you train the dog to find ammocans and decon boxes and rubbermaid at home. maybe your dog just likes finding stuff, and maybe you just happen to keep dog cookies in an ammocan.

then you train him to find them outside.

then you make a transition to having him sniff out anything that's different and doesn't fit.

a cache will have lots of smells on it that are different from the normal smells of the area.

i was making very good progress training a dog to this once, but then he suddenly became spooked by ammocans and wouldn't play anymore.

it was weird. one minute finding ammocans was his favorite thing to do and then all of a sudden ammocans made him run from the room. i'm not sure what it was about the sound, but i think the sound of it opening just one day scared him and he never got over it.

I have a 3 year old German Shepherd that I take caching with me. I make a point of letting her sniff the container as soon as I find it (before handling it too much). Apparently it's helping as she has found more FTFs than I have! She likes playing "Find the People"... rather than tracking the cache itself, she follows the trail of the people who have been there before. Obviously this works really well on newer caches and not-so-well on older caches, as the more hunters, the more confused the trail will be.

The first one she found on her own .. she led me straight to it, It was hidden in some shrubbery. I had her on a long retractable leash. As soon as we got out of the car I told her to find the people. She stuck nose to the ground and proceeded to lead me to the shrub. By the time I caught up with her on the backside, all I could see was her backend sticking out of the bushes and her nose on an ammo can! She got a treat, a bunch of praise and I let her "sign" the log first by leaving a pawprint. :D:anicute:;)

All my dogs just love to go and romp in the woods. While I'm searching for the cache they are running up and down the creeks, hills, sliding in the leaves, playing with sticks, chasing rabbits, birds, and what ever else they can find to play with. After while mastiffs just wear out and flop down. Try getting a tired out mastiff back to the car when you are two miles out.