Logging a FTF

Let me try to clarify because I don't think people are getting my point, or are trying to argue a different point entirely. I have no problem, zero, none, zilch, missing an FTF. It is part of the game, which I understand, acknowledge, and agree with. The time, effort, gas, etc. expended are all part of the game, I agree. I also understand that there is no rule regarding how promptly you must log your cache find, nor do I think there should be such a rule.

Now that we've gotten what I haven't said out of the way, let me reiterate what I actually am saying: I think that cachers should, as a matter of courtesy, log their FTF finds promptly, as soon as they are able. NOT run home from their trip or vacation, but when they are next in front of a computer, whenever that is. I don't think it is so unreasonable to expect this and I am a little confused by other cachers would adamantly declare that it is their right to be as discourteous as they wish. This is, remember, a game that runs of courtesy and community. We replace logs for other cachers, we make sure to rehide caches well so muggles don't see them, we notify other cachers of potential problems with their caches. None of these are rules that we must follow, we do them because we are courteous and are members of the geocaching community.

Let me try to clarify because I don't think people are getting my point, or are trying to argue a different point entirely. I have no problem, zero, none, zilch, missing an FTF. It is part of the game, which I understand, acknowledge, and agree with. The time, effort, gas, etc. expended are all part of the game, I agree. I also understand that there is no rule regarding how promptly you must log your cache find, nor do I think there should be such a rule.

Now that we've gotten what I haven't said out of the way, let me reiterate what I actually am saying: I think that cachers should, as a matter of courtesy, log their FTF finds promptly, as soon as they are able. NOT run home from their trip or vacation, but when they are next in front of a computer, whenever that is. I don't think it is so unreasonable to expect this and I am a little confused by other cachers would adamantly declare that it is their right to be as discourteous as they wish. This is, remember, a game that runs of courtesy and community. We replace logs for other cachers, we make sure to rehide caches well so muggles don't see them, we notify other cachers of potential problems with their caches. None of these are rules that we must follow, we do them because we are courteous and are members of the geocaching community.

I'd vote this up if there's a way to do it.

OK, I'll clarify.

When I get home I may have things to do. I may be tired from the day or I just don't feel like spending the time right then to log it. I may even get on the computer to do something else. Heck, maybe vegging watching Reba reruns is my priority right then. It doesn't matter. Like all of us, I have a life beyond this.

While I would agree that the OPs reasons are rude, however ultimately it is hurting no one. My "not being in the mood" to sit and log for a period of time, be it a day, a week or even a month doesn't even approach being discourteous by any reasonable standard.

This is a game, something I do to relax. I adhere to the listing guidelines when placing a cache and take care to make sure the cache I find is either in as good shape or better when I leave it. If I do not maintain my caches, I affect others. Beyond that, someone whose fun is completely gone because they have obsessed on getting the FTF is not my problem as there is no negative impact.

If FTF, or even my find count, caused such grief, I think I would have to step away for a while. Those of us not quick to log should make the FTF even more sweet when you do get it, you've overcome one more obstacle that some others have not.....me.

It's perfectly fine. Don't let these other people tell you otherwise. There is no requirement when you have to log something.

Sorry, but FTF is the same as STF, TTF or 100th to find. If there is a some sort of prize for the first to find, We also never take them. As said earlier, to many a find is a find.

Exactly. FTF is nothing more than a fact. It is the same as every other find. You are not special because you had better circumstances.

To make things more fun when you find a blank log book sign it very small and light in a hidden spot in the book. Then watch the "FTF!!!! :D:):):):) " roll in about claiming FTF. It's funny. For even more fun you can burst their bubble at a later time. :(

To make things more fun when you find a blank log book sign it very small and light in a hidden spot in the book. Then watch the "FTF!!!! :D:):):):) " roll in about claiming FTF. It's funny. For even more fun you can burst their bubble at a later time. :(

I've seen people write a FTF log in the middle of the log book just so people think they are signing a clean log book.

To make things more fun when you find a blank log book sign it very small and light in a hidden spot in the book. Then watch the "FTF!!!! :):):):):D " roll in about claiming FTF. It's funny. For even more fun you can burst their bubble at a later time. :D

I've seen people write a FTF log in the middle of the log book just so people think they are signing a clean log book.

And i've seen cachers who simply don't believe that they weren't FTF because they didn't see that log hidden in the back. :( I love geocaching!

I think that cachers should, as a matter of courtesy, log their FTF finds promptly, as soon as they are able.

The modified version of your statement above is what I agree with. Here's why:

First, it doesn't really matter whether it's a FTF, STF or any other log. Second, why does it matter that it's prompt? If the FTF doesn't log it quick then the STF probably will. On the cache I just put out it was the STF to actually log first. My thoughts were "Cool. Coords are good. Cache is still there. No problems with it".

The only person that I can think of to care if a FTF was logged promptly is the FTF hound that wants to abort their run if they're not going to be the FTF. Sucks to be them.

I log FTFs quickly, even posting short logs from my cellphone via the WAP site when I have decent signal. I do this for two reasons, both selfish: (1) I like to be the sole finder on the FTF date, and (2) I like the reaction of other would-be FTFers who peel off once they see that the race is done.

That said, the whole FTF thing is pretty silly. I got drawn into it for awhile when a real FTF-fiend started operating in my area. I had enough of his endzone-dancing-in-your-face-suckers logs and decided to break his streak. I'm in recovery now.

~snip~

That said, the whole FTF thing is pretty silly. I got drawn into it for awhile when a real FTF-fiend started operating in my area. I had enough of his endzone-dancing-in-your-face-suckers logs and decided to break his streak. I'm in recovery now.

We have one of those hounds here. I get a kick out of him getting beat to the FTF. Arrogance has no place in this game IMHO.

We have one of those hounds here. I get a kick out of him getting beat to the FTF. Arrogance has no place in this game IMHO.

That's the only reason I search for new ones. Then we don't get:

;):PB) FTF @ X:XXp!!! WOO-HOO!!! :D:D:D

I know I am not the only local who tries to foil these type of logs. :D

Edited by Knight2000

That's the only reason I search for new ones. Then we don't get:

;):PB) FTF ! X:XXp WOO-HOO :D:D:D

I know I am not the only local who tries to foil these type of logs. :D

The local FTF hound does that "WOO HOO FTF" and does this after his 300th+ FTF. I will give him credit that he usually adds a small line about the cache though. I would think someone would get bored after so many FTFs but I suspect the thrill for the FTF hounds is knowing they deprived someone else of the FTF.

What really bothers me is the local hound doesn't log DNFs. I know this one for a fact. It's good to know he gets skunked once in a while.

While I am sure that some FTF hounds get a thrill out of depriving others I think it unfair to label all of them like that. Plenty of 'em who take their delight from their own accomplishment and not the failure of others.

In a lot of ways I would agree but this particular one has a history. I wouldn't go into it on a public forum though.

Id like to get some opinions on logging FTFs. Im sure avery local area has em, but we have a lot of FTF hounds here in Central Florida (Well, North West of Orlando to be specific, yall know who you are)

When I get a FTF, I dont log it immediatly after I get home. I wait a few hours, ok maybe 6 : ) before I log. I do this for two reasons, The 1st is a courtesy to the Co, to get people to go to the cache. The 2nd is I like to think of the looks on the faces of Second to Find when he/she (with great excitment and anticipation) unwraps that log and sees my name at the top. : ( : ( : ( I know what my face must look like when Im STF : ( : ( : (

Is that wrong???? :D:PB)

Well heck. Why would you wait and let someone else be FTL? (First to Log). Around here that's common for the Second to Find to do. They race back home and become First to Log. Meaning they show up first on the list of finders on the listing.

Hey...if you're going to do that... why not just log it online before you head out the door? ;) As long as you actually DO find it...

(Kidding!)

We have no problem with being second, third, forth, etc. on a FTF run. There have been many times we have headed out knowing that there is a very small chance of even being third, but we still do it because its fun. Its still geocaching and its still a FTF race. B):D:D

To those that claim you have written your name "in a secret way" in the log book... I'm sorry but I don't believe you. The first name at the top of the first page or in the spot the the CO wants it is the FTF. To claim that you were there first and wrote it in the middle of the book is (to put it very simply) a lie, and you are trying to cheat. All you are doing is showing up later and trying to claim something that you did not earn. :D;):P Those pages need to be removed from the log book ASAP.

If someone wants to wait an hour, a day or even a month after signing as the true FTF, thats their choice. There is no the limit on when you need to sign. Matter of fact if they choose not to log the find online at all, they are still the FTF. However, we will only give the FTF person two hours to log online before we do. We are not going to let someone hold us up on logging this and/or other finds. The longest that we have waited to post a FTF is about 4 hours, but normally we try to do it with in an hour.

Tobias

However, we will only give the FTF person two hours to log online before we do. We are not going to let someone hold us up on logging this and/or other finds.

You hold off logging so they can be the "First to Log" as well? Do many other people do this in your area?

However, we will only give the FTF person two hours to log online before we do. We are not going to let someone hold us up on logging this and/or other finds.

You hold off logging so they can be the "First to Log" as well? Do many other people do this in your area?

Some will wait, but not all. Some will wait only about 15-20 minutes. Others log their finds as soon as they can.

I look at this way... It's like holding a door for someone, I don't do it because of who they are, I do it because of who I am.

Tobias

If someone wants to wait an hour, a day or even a month after signing as the true FTF, thats their choice. There is no the limit on when you need to sign. Matter of fact if they choose not to log the find online at all, they are still the FTF. However, we will only give the FTF person two hours to log online before we do. We are not going to let someone hold us up on logging this and/or other finds. The longest that we have waited to post a FTF is about 4 hours, but normally we try to do it with in an hour.

Tobias

Think I posted in a similar thread to this before as this feels like Deja Vu.

But here I go again.

One day, a new cache was published as I was about to set out on a 25 cache run along a 75 mile route. The new cache happened to be on my route and was closest to home. So I got that cache first thing in the morning as an FTF, then kept on along to get the rest of the caches on my list. All in all, I think I had 21 finds that day and did not get home until about 12 hours after I found that new cache. I was too tired to go online and went to bed.

Then had to go to work the next day.

Finally, I came home from work and went online to log that FTF along with the other 20 caches that I found.

Had that new cache not been on my route, I would have skipped it and let someone else have that FTF.

So think about that before claiming another person intentionally waits too long to log their FTF.

Also, if I find a new cache and was second or third or whatever, I don't wait to log online. As soon as I access the computer and the FTF is not logged yet, I'll log mine anyways and say "I was STF. The Thunderlords found it 15 minutes before I did." or something similar. I always give credit to the FTF person if he didn't log his yet so people know who found it.

I have 6 FTF's to my credit. 4 of those were not immediate ones (I found one cache two weeks after publication), so it's like not I was an FTF hound on those FTF's.

Also I have said this before and i'll say it again. The FTF is the one who name is at the top of the log. It's not the one whose name is in tiny print in the back of the log. It's not the one whose name is in the middle page. It's at the top of the first page. So Knight2000 or whatever, your supposed FTF's logged that way does not hold water for me. For all I know, you are just feeding us a line of bulls*** saying you got FTF when in actuality, you were like STF, TTF, or so and logged your name in tiny print and claiming you were FTF.

To each his own.

Some will wait, but not all. Some will wait only about 15-20 minutes. Others log their finds as soon as they can.

I look at this way... It's like holding a door for someone, I don't do it because of who they are, I do it because of who I am.

Tobias

If I beat the FTF to a log, I usually write a note about being FTL, stating a cheap and meaningless victory is still a win (in my own mind).