Logging a FTF

Id like to get some opinions on logging FTFs. Im sure avery local area has em, but we have a lot of FTF hounds here in Central Florida (Well, North West of Orlando to be specific, yall know who you are)

When I get a FTF, I dont log it immediatly after I get home. I wait a few hours, ok maybe 6 : ) before I log. I do this for two reasons, The 1st is a courtesy to the Co, to get people to go to the cache. The 2nd is I like to think of the looks on the faces of Second to Find when he/she (with great excitment and anticipation) unwraps that log and sees my name at the top. : ( : ( : ( I know what my face must look like when Im STF : ( : ( : (

Is that wrong???? :ph34r::ph34r::P

Yeah. That demonstrates a mean streak! Definitely wrong of you. Just nasty!

Do you really mean that? I am actualy looking for opinions on this. You know with the price of gas and all. I think of it as kind of freindly kidding among fellow cachers. I'll check back and if I get more negatives than positves, I suppose I may change.

I am conflicted.

I see the idea of drawing others to the cache but at the same time, I look at the log directly before I walk out the door for a FTF attempt.

If I got to the log and found out I wasn't FTF, fine but if I find out the FTFr was there a few hours earlier, I am going to be a little upset. If I found out that the FTFr was doing it deliberately, I am going to be pissed and would not have good things to say if we ever met (which is likely given there are small numbers attempting FTFs, relatively speaking).

Well, after reading just the first few responses, I suppose its a Bad idea. I never meant it to be deliberaly mean, just a lil ribbing between cachers who know each other (of course I wouldnt know if someone I know, or dont know will be STF).

For the record, I will not deliberatly delay logging FTFs anymore. I guess thats why I asked. Thanks for your opinions.

Edited by moparots
Well, after reading just the first few responses, I suppose its a Bad idea. I never meant it to be deliberaly mean, just a lil ribbing between cachers who know each other (of course I wouldnt know if someone I know, or dont know will be STF).

For the record, I will not deliberatly delay logging FTFs anymore. I guess thats why I asked. Thanks for your opinions.

Don't give up so easily. I don't log my FTF immediately anymore because it is part of the fun that the local FTF hounds participate in. Read the logs. Just because they throw in a few :ph34r:((, it doesn't mean that they are actually sad.

When another FTF hound shows up and sees your signature on the log the though could be summed up like this "Ah, he beat me this time, but not next time". If they read the post and see that someone else got the FTF the effect is not the same.

If anyone thinks that the FTF should be posted out of courtesy to other FTF hounds, then they should get out of the FTF game. Just seek caches and don't worry about FTF's. The race to be the first to find is part of the fun of the FTF game. If you don't win the race this time then try harder next time.

It's called "first to find", not "first to trick other cachers into making unnecessary trips".

I don't play the FTF game much anymore, but when I do, I log my FTFs as soon as I have access to a computer and I expect others to do the same, especially in a community-oriented activity like this one. Other people besides the local FTF hounds may want to play the FTF game, and ribbing the hounds in this manner isn't exactly fair to them. There are other ways to get at them that don't also get at uninvolved cachers. I've tried a couple unfamiliar puzzle types to confound the local hounds. While most will just get around to the puzzles eventually, I know that the two hounds in my neighborhood will spend their mornings trying to crack the codes. :ph34r: Other ideas might be tribute caches which poke fun at them or roasts at geomeets.

I suppose the reason behind waiting to log, was to get my fellow FTF hounds to go for the new cache, which they might not have done if they saw my log. I know my "FTF freinds" would understand, but a newbie or someone just heading out to get a far and few FTF might be upset.

Im not going to rush home to log FTFs, I just wont deliberatly delay anymore.

I do the same thing, and I have never had a problem with other cachers being mad. There can only be one first place, so somebody has to lose. You have to just get use to it. They are obviously willing to drive the distance to get the FTF in the first place, so what if they don't get it. It is like NASCAR, everyone competes and wastes gas and tires and time, but only one can get the coveted first place.

I log as soon as I can, but it may not be until later in the evening when I get in front of a computer. I wouldn't delay logging a FTF purposefully just to toy with other cachers, nor am I going to drop everything and drive home to log it immediately.

Pretty much what I do most of the time for any cache. Fresh new logs are more useful for the next potential finder of the cache. Once the next finder even said in his log :

Made a call to someone to check the previous logs to see if it was still there and they confirmed it was found TODAY! I was just about to leave but made one more search and bingo.

As for checking logs for FTF, I pretty much assume that if I open the e-mail 30 minutes late, it's already been found, logged online or not.

Edited by Chrysalides
I log as soon as I can, but it may not be until later in the evening when I get in front of a computer. I wouldn't delay logging a FTF purposefully just to toy with other cachers, nor am I going to drop everything and drive home to log it immediately.

Pretty much what I do most of the time for any cache. Fresh new logs are more useful for the next potential finder of the cache. Once the next finder even said in his log :

Made a call to someone to check the previous logs to see if it was still there and they confirmed it was found TODAY! I was just about to leave but made one more search and bingo.

As for checking logs for FTF, I pretty much assume that if I open the e-mail 30 minutes late, it's already been found, logged online or not.

My last FTF (OK, my last find) was done about 4 and a half hours after I got the Email. It was an urban cache and hasn't been found since 36 hours later. Of course since it's a level 5 difficulty, it might not be found for a while.

I am sure I wasn't the first person to look for it but I was the first to find it. It's pretty difficult, deserving the 5.

Unnecessarily? They still get to log the find and get the smiley.

Back when I used to be a FTFP hound I would have whole heartedly disagreed with you. I didn't care about the log or the smiley, just the FTFP. I once drove half an hour for a FTFP, got there, found the usual suspects cars in the lot and didn't even bother. (Yeah, it would have been fun to meet up with them again, but I had other stuff to do that day.)

Some of us just don't care at all about the numbers, except the number of FTFPs.

Back when I used to be a FTFP hound I would have whole heartedly disagreed with you. I didn't care about the log or the smiley, just the FTFP. I once drove half an hour for a FTFP, got there, found the usual suspects cars in the lot and didn't even bother. (Yeah, it would have been fun to meet up with them again, but I had other stuff to do that day.)

Some of us just don't care at all about the numbers, except the number of FTFPs.

OK, I'm gonna sound like a newbie here, but what is an "FTFP"? (the "P" part, I mean)

Most of my FTF's are deep in the mountains. It is usually several hours before I can even get back to my computer. Usually, I'm tired and I'll plan on logging my caches the next day, but I will always post a quick find on a FTF cache. Just a quick, "I was FTF, I'll detail my experience in a future log".

I would expect the same courtesy from my local cachers.

BTW, while I enjoy getting FTF's, it is not that big of a deal to me. I have taken up the habit that if there are a string of new caches on an "out and back" trail, I will find every other cache on the way out, and the rest on the way back. This way, if someone else is ten minutes behind me, they can grab some FTF's as well

OK, I'm gonna sound like a newbie here, but what is an "FTFP"? (the "P" part, I mean)

I assume it means "Prize".

I don't think it is any more evil to wait to post a cache you got to first than any other cache. Having said that, if you do it just to get at someone, that's another story.

Sometimes when I cache, I have time to log same day. Sometimes it may take a week or more. Life does occasionally have its priorities. If one of the caches in there is one that had not been found till me, oh well.

The only thing I do log ASAP is when TB's are involved because some CO's are quick to mark them missing. Those I will leave a quick not, i.e. taken, until I get a chance to write a longer log. It is also one of the reasons I abuse the ill-conceived discover feature.

Sorry, but FTF is the same as STF, TTF or 100th to find. If there is a some sort of prize for the first to find, We also never take them. As said earlier, to many a find is a find.

Edited by baloo&bd

I've read it somewhere here, I think NotThePainter mean "First to Find after Published". Some people are unhappy with those who find caches before they're published, either by friends giving them the coordinates, tracking TBs, or just stumbling across one by accident.

Id like to get some opinions on logging FTFs. Im sure avery local area has em, but we have a lot of FTF hounds here in Central Florida (Well, North West of Orlando to be specific, yall know who you are)

When I get a FTF, I dont log it immediatly after I get home. I wait a few hours, ok maybe 6 : ) before I log. I do this for two reasons, The 1st is a courtesy to the Co, to get people to go to the cache. The 2nd is I like to think of the looks on the faces of Second to Find when he/she (with great excitment and anticipation) unwraps that log and sees my name at the top. : ( : ( : ( I know what my face must look like when Im STF : ( : ( : (

Is that wrong???? :anicute:;):D

Well heck. Why would you wait and let someone else be FTL? (First to Log). Around here that's common for the Second to Find to do. They race back home and become First to Log. Meaning they show up first on the list of finders on the listing.

If I get a FTF I feel no obligation to race home and log it. Typically I get the FTF's as I start my caching day and then go on for the rest of what I wanted to do that day. I generally log later in the evening. So I might well be the third or fourth to log. If I wrecked your day because you were expecting to get a FTF because there were no online logs yet, well, that is the way the cookie crumbles. Even if I raced home, you might have already left to get the FTF only to find your second or third. I'll take them if I get them, but it is not the reason I cache.

Jim

Probably right. I call them FTFB's myself, though (Bribes) :anicute:

I've read it somewhere here, I think NotThePainter mean "First to Find after Published". Some people are unhappy with those who find caches before they're published, either by friends giving them the coordinates, tracking TBs, or just stumbling across one by accident.

That makes sense as well. I've only ever seen FTF used (and abused)

Edited by knowschad

You aren't required to log an FTF in any amount of time. Sometimes I'll get an FTF and then I go caching for the rest of the day. Then if I'm tired and don't want to log all those caches I'll go to sleep and do it the next day. As for cachers making unnecessary trips...if you truly wanted the FTF you would be there very shortly after the FTF found the cache anyways. I think it's great to make people go get the cache instead of ignoring it. I never hold it against anyone who gets an FTF before me. I'm just glad to get out there and see new places and new faces whenever I go out caching. Cheers and happy caching!!!

Is that wrong???? :anicute::DB)

I have done this.

And had it done to me! B)

Sometimes it was intentional, and sometimes the FTF was only hours ahead of me on a back-country cache where neither of us would have the chance to log our finds for hours later...

Since there is usually no big prize for FTF, and the stat is un-trackable, WHO CARES! ;)

Is that wrong???? :anicute:;):D

this happens alot here and not even on ftf. you see no logs on a new hide, get there and theres like 4 sigs on it, get back home to log and nobodys still logged. oh well i usually ruin the strategy by being first to log yet 5th to find it so others know ftf is long gone.

I AM very much into FTFs, seems that this is a sin if you frequent the forums. My fellow FTF hounds and I ALWAYS make sure to log them ASAP, it is not fair to anyone to leave them hanging. A lot of comments to the effect of "You get a smiley anyway" aren't exactly fair. If it is a work day and I know a new cache has been found I won't take my lunch to run and get it, I would wait until the weekend or after work to go.

StaticTank

I've never had an FTF, and I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I may never get one. There are just too many other cachers around here who make it their primary purpose (which is fine, by the way - everybody has their own motivations and I respect them all). I'd love to get one, but I'll have to get very lucky. I have no problem with it.

I don't see that you have a responsibility to log it right away. When I go out geocaching, I go for the day, and if I'm FTF I'm not going to cut the day short so I can run all the way back home and log it to avoid disappointing those who come along later. I think as a player you have to accept the fact that this is going to happen sometimes.

I do think you should log it as soon as you return, however. That's just courtesy.

I log a FTF immediately when I am back home. I think it is just fair. People sometimes would visit a cache a few days later when they are in that area if they knew the FTF is away. I do not think it is fair to let people run to a cache when you already had the chance to log your FTF online. I myself would also be a bit angry if a person does not log the FTF online on purpose.

Edited by sterni2009

I log a FTF immediately when I am back home. I think it is just fair. People sometimes would visit a cache a few days later when they are in that area if they knew the FTF is away. I do not think it is fair to let people run to a cache when you already had the chance to log your FTF online. I myself would also be a bit angry if a person does not log the FTF online on purpose.

Exactly--you log the FTF as soon as you can. That means if you go back home--Log it. If you go around and do some other caches in the area and you can't do it for 2 or 3 hours--this is different. This morning I had FTF at 7am and then went around to some other caches and logged at 9. This was for no reason then, I already drove to areas so why not. However, deliberatly waiting to have the STF get upset is really just being a *BEEP.*

Omaha has a few like you and it's very annoying. Glad this post helped you change your ways. To be honest, just posting this should have made you realize--if I think it's wrong--it probably is.

CubsFanSean

I find we have FTF hounds all over the place in Central Florida! I'm sure there's a FTF hound just about everywhere you go. It's the thrill of being there first! And sometimes it's the agony of discovering that the CO published the wrong coordinates (been there a few times myself).

But to answer your question...IMO it's wrong. There's nothing I hate more than going to a cache, expecting an FTF, only to find out that someone has already found it and has not logged it yet. :P

I log my FTFs as soon as possible to save folks the headache of rushing out in hopes of an FTF and only getting LASF (or worse). If I'm out caching and will not get home for hours I'll often Write a Note (from my iPhone) letting others know the cache has been found...then I log my Find (in proper sequence) when I get home.

I know gas isn't over $4 a gallon, like it was last year, but some of us are unemployed (or retired and on fixed incomes) and every $1 spent on gas is precious.

Is that wrong???? :P:):)

As long as you are observing the rules of the game, play it the way you want to play it. As an FTF hound myself, I have been accused of delaying logs - in one case it was because it was the first find of the day and I was caching for the next 10 hours. I asked the person who was upset with me (they were STF) if they would have gone for the cache if I had logged my FTF right away (which I couldn't do) and they said "No". They play the way they want to, and I play the way I want to. No one forces anyone to go looking for an FTF.

And yes for every opinion, there is bound to be an opposite.

I think of it as kind of freindly kidding among fellow cachers.

It's not friendly. It's obnoxious.

I can't believe that people really feel this way. I feel that if I make a find, then the find is mine, and it's mine to log the way I want to. I wouldn't feel obligated to anyone else to log it any particular way which suits them.

I think of it as kind of freindly kidding among fellow cachers.

It's not friendly. It's obnoxious.

I can't believe that people really feel this way. I feel that if I make a find, then the find is mine, and it's mine to log the way I want to. I wouldn't feel obligated to anyone else to log it any particular way which suits them.

Allow me to try to explain.

While you are correct, there is a little competition for FTF in the geocaching world.

Though not officially recognized by GC.com, you know, as well as most who covet the FTF, that the prize is something you will drop most everything to get.

While, a regular outing for geocaching should not be interrupted to log a FTF, it is a courtesy to log it as soon as feasible.

Why? Because it IS a "prize" whether sanctioned or not. It is common courtesy to notify all players when the prize is no longer available. If it were sanctioned by GC.com, then they would be legally required to have some sort of stipulation in the EULA regarding the recording times.

Many companies have felt the pain of a lawsuit for allowing a contest to continue long after the prize was claimed (or awarded).

As I said, since it's not sanctioned, there are no official rules (guidelines) regarding FTF. It IS however a courtesy to log it, and deliberately waiting to log it because you want to make others jump for the prize is, in my and others opinions, obnoxious (being a jerk, etc).

I think a lot depends on the FTF cacher's attitude.

Logging a morning FTF in the evening, because you haven't had time (or net access) all day? Great!

Logging an FTF a week later because you got the FTF at the beginning of a week-long backpacking trip, and you were offline in the backcountry? Great!

Never logging an FTF because you never log any of your finds online? Great!

Logging an FTF only after the STF logs online, just because you want to screw with the other FTF hounds in the area? Well...

But as Wallydraigle says, it's your find. You can log it (or not) the way you want.

I asked the person who was upset with me (they were STF) if they would have gone for the cache if I had logged my FTF right away (which I couldn't do) and they said "No".

While I realize that everyone plays differently, that I don't understand. If everyone logged their FTF immediately using their cellphone then you'd be almost guaranteed to get FTF when getting to the cache as you'd abort all other attempts. When opening the cache and taking a look at the log book you'd already know you are FTF. How is that fun?

One of the most exciting parts is discovering an empty log book. Even finding someone beating you to it is fun in a way as well. People here usually write the time on their FTF so it's "dadgum! Missed it by 10 minutes! Next time!".

Also there's the possibility of getting a FTF hours after it being published and having it still being a surprise. It wouldn't be if you knew that no log = guaranteed FTF.

Since there is usually no big prize for FTF, and the stat is un-trackable, WHO CARES! :D

I'm going to agree with the skinny AZ dancing dude on this one.

And if it's just a friendly zinger among friendly cachers, I care less.

But if it's done with a mean spirited heart you might want to reconsider.

I suspect that attitude would show itself in your other actions as well.

A lot of people have said they refuse to rush home and log their FTFs immediately, cutting their caching day short. I may have missed a post in this thread, but I really don't think anyone expects that. In fact, I'd put it right up there with people expecting cachers to leave $100 checks as swag - completely unreasonable. What is reasonable to expect is logging them as soon as you get home or near a computer - not the next day or the next week or when you feel like getting around to it. That is completely reasonable, especially in a game that essentially runs on community. I think NiraD's post sums it up nicely. (#42)

What is reasonable to expect is logging them as soon as you get home or near a computer - not the next day or the next week or when you feel like getting around to it. That is completely reasonable, especially in a game that essentially runs on community.

The fact that the FTF hunt is an unofficial sub-game of the official game means that there is a risk that it won't get logged right away. The time someone logs their finds is totally up to them and your or my expectations or definitions of "reasonable" have nothing to do with it. When I decide to go for an FTF I'm fully aware that someone might beat me to it.

My question is why would you be expecting a FTF after a day or week later? After that amount of time I'd be assuming it's been found already and trying for a FTF on that particular cache would be a gamble. I'd still go for that cache for non FTF reasons and an FTF on it would just be a bonus.

When I decide to go for an FTF I'm fully aware that someone might beat me to it....My question is why would you be expecting a FTF after a day or week later?

Of course that, on the rare occasions I go for an FTF, I am aware that it might have already been claimed, and obviously I don't expect it to be unclaimed a week later. It's interesting that in a post where I point out people are objecting to expectations that no one has expressed, I get a reply objecting to expectations that I did not express.

Great question! My two cents: play the game how you want, as long as you are within the rules. Personally, I've never been FTF and don't ever care to be. I've had the chance to be first several times but purposely waited to go searching. How fast people get to the internet to log their visits is not part of the game, is it?! Everyone plays the game different, I guess. Happy caching! :D

It's interesting that in a post where I point out people are objecting to expectations that no one has expressed, I get a reply objecting to expectations that I did not express.

I don't know if it's because it's late but I'm having trouble wrapping my brain around that sentence. I apologize if I misread your original message. The following is not directed at you specifically or at all.

My point was that a person can log their visit anytime they want, be that an hour, day, week or longer after they find the cache. If a FTF hound believes that this is wrong somehow well, to put it bluntly: Tough, deal with it. There are no rules regarding time limits when a cache should be logged or rules regarding how the FTF sub-game should be played.

Any person going for a FTF should be prepared to waste time, money, gas, and sanity if that's the only reason they have for finding that cache and someone beats them to it. The people complaining that they wouldn't have bothered going if they were notified that someone had already found it just makes me wonder. Are they spoiled brats that expect expect everything to be just handed to them? If they want an FTF they have to put the effort in to getting it.

It's called "first to find", not "first to trick other cachers into making unnecessary trips".

Unnecessary trip? How so? It's not like they can't log it when they find it!

I take my time logging FTFs (when I get them).

If a person can't deal with the fact that someone may have beat them to the cache for the honors of FTF, they shouldn't be out trying for them. Period.

I personally don't like it when peope log the FTFs right at GZ via their iphone or blackberry. Takes all of the fun out of the hunt. A recent new cache when unfound (at least no finds logged) most of the day. When I went looking for it (at 9pm) I thought I had a shot. Turns out I was beat by 10 minutes. Was I upset...no. Would I have been upset if the cache was found at 7am and not logged online...no.

And if people are driving huge distances from home to try to get a FTF (and get skunked), that's their problem. No one says you have to try for FTF.

Deal with it folks.