Lamp post caches

As per the guidelines shouldn't a cache in a large parking (lamp post) not be approved or otherwise disallowed?

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Reviewers have declined caches numerous times for caches that could simply be found without a GPS citing the guidelines above.

:ph34r:

As per the guidelines shouldn't a cache in a large parking (lamp post) not be approved or otherwise disallowed?

GPS usage is an essential element of geocaching. Therefore, although it is possible to find a cache without a GPS, the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated for all physical cache submissions.

Reviewers have declined caches numerous times for caches that could simply be found without a GPS citing the guidelines above.

By your logic, all geocaches should not be approved. Since a muggle could "find" it without a GPS or GPS coordinates (as I did with my first cache), all geocaches are in violation of this guideline.

Nice try.

I know there is a flaw in your argument somewhere....

I didn't state my position on the matter...

What does that have to do with your question? You need the coords for the lamp post cache to find it, don't you?

Indeed. However the guideline doesn't clarify actually using a GPSr as a requirement in finding a cache. It simply reads "the option of using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt must be demonstrated"

So wouldn't that invalidate a reviewer's interpretation of the guideline when cited in the manner I stated in my initial post?

By your logic, all geocaches should not be approved. Since a muggle could "find" it without a GPS or GPS coordinates (as I did with my first cache), all geocaches are in violation of this guideline.

A muggle in most cases is unware of the guideline/s or geocaching for that matter. Therefore your interpertation of my logic and or question doesn't apply or fall within the scope of my post.

I have never heard of a reviewer declining a cache just because it could be found without a GPSr. If they did that most caches would be gone. There are a few cachers that do not use a GPSr, they cache with maps, and a compass, or using google maps.

This guideline refers to the option of using the GPSr, and I have certainly used my GPSr to find lamp post caches. Although most of them could be found without it. :ph34r:

I generally don't like LPC for a number of reasons - but I'm not out to ban them either.

The fatal flaw in your argument is that any cache easily findable via Google Earth would also have to be eliminated ---> not what you are after.

I’m confused – am I the only one?

If the OP could clarify their question then we might be able to help.

Then I can enjoy the snacks on offer at the same time. :ph34r:

A well hidden cache in a forest of trees is not easily found using Google Earth. Can you get close? I suppose.

I don't think I need to detail the difference between finding a lamp post in a parking lot using Google Earth vs. finding a cache in the middle of the woods or some other well hidden urban hide.

You guys should be smart enough to figure that out.

I generally don't like LPC for a number of reasons - but I'm not out to ban them either.

The fatal flaw in your argument is that any cache easily findable via Google Earth would also have to be eliminated ---> not what you are after.

A well hidden cache in a forest of trees is not easily found using Google Earth. Can you get close? I suppose.

I don't think I need to detail the difference between finding a lamp post in a parking lot using Google Earth vs. finding a cache in the middle of the woods or some other well hidden urban hide.

But the cache might not be on a lamp post unless it states that in the discription.

So I have the option to put just the coordinates into my GPS and lo and behold the coordinates take me to a a parking lot just few feet from a lamppost. I begin to search for the cache (wonder where I'll search first?) and find it. Voila! the cache meets the guidelines since I used my GPS as an integral part of finding the cache.

What you might have seen a reviewer turn down is a cache inside a building. The coordinates make take you to the front of the building. Then the cache page says, "you are in front of the city library. Go inside and look for 901.880." Using the GPS to get to front of the city library really isn't integral to find the cache. Since I know already I have to go inside the city library why wouldn't I just go to the city library. I supposed I could argue that I had the option to use the GPS to get me to the city library, but I'm still not sure that is integral to the find. Had the GPS taken me to a sign that says 901.880 and the cache was listed as a multi, then the use of the GPS would have been integral to the cache hunt. There is always room for interpretation and if a reviewer is turning down caches where you think there is an option to use the GPS that is integral to the cache hunt, you can appeal. You can't turn the guideline around however and say that because you have the option to leave your GPS at home the cache should be denied. The guideline doesn't say this.

The guidelines specify that a GPS must be used to hide a cache. Nowhere does it state that a GPS must be used to find a cache.

That's what I thought too. But I'll be the first to admit I don't know every word of the guidelines, and if someone can point out what T4P quoted I'd appreciate it.

That fact that you may be able to find a LPC using a method other than a GPS, doesn't preclude the opportunity to do so if one wishes. Compare this to a cache where you drive to some building, then go inside and ask someone behind a desk to hand you the cache - not real usage of accurate GPS coordinates at all.

I have a lamp post cache placed that's pretty much out in the middle of nowhere.

Am I allowed to put it's reference number here? - that would probably be promoting a cache I guess, so unless someone says otherwise you'll have to work out which cache I mean. Once bitten twice shy with regards to what you can say on this forum...

Anyway - the lamp post is in the middle of a field not too far from where a large strip mine has since taken over the nearby approach roads -someone forgot to remove the lamp post, about 30 years ago! And it's in such a picturesque location too, with views over the nearby Black Mountain in the Brecon Beacons national park!

The cache itself is deliberately not on the lamp post itself so maybe that excludes it from the problems being discussed in this thread...

It's not a Narnia style lonely lamp post - but finding a modern looking one in an equally seeming isolated location is even stranger!

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

What you might have seen a reviewer turn down is a cache inside a building. The coordinates make take you to the front of the building. Then the cache page says, "you are in front of the city library. Go inside and look for 901.880." Using the GPS to get to front of the city library really isn't integral to find the cache. Since I know already I have to go inside the city library why wouldn't I just go to the city library. I supposed I could argue that I had the option to use the GPS to get me to the city library, but I'm still not sure that is integral to the find. Had the GPS taken me to a sign that says 901.880 and the cache was listed as a multi, then the use of the GPS would have been integral to the cache hunt. There is always room for interpretation and if a reviewer is turning down caches where you think there is an option to use the GPS that is integral to the cache hunt, you can appeal. You can't turn the guideline around however and say that because you have the option to leave your GPS at home the cache should be denied. The guideline doesn't say this.

Maybe the guidelines should contain similar wording.

The guidelines specify that a GPS must be used to hide a cache. Nowhere does it state that a GPS must be used to find a cache.

Probably the most inane thread I've read in the fora!

No, as noted, the OPTION of using GPS to find the cache must be demonstrated.

While some may choose to pinpoint a cache location using a map or aerial photo, there is certainly the option of finding the correct lamp post by watching the GPS distance count down to zero.

Conversely, the same guideline provision guards against caches where the posted coordinates take you to a parking lot, and then letterbox style clues are followed to reach the cache container. Or, the posted coordinates take me to the front door of a library, and I need to figure out where the cache is hidden inside the library. I could not use my GPS to help me find those caches even if I wanted to.

I definitely needed my GPS to find this lamp post cache last weekend. Beware of stereotypes. :ph34r:

b5d41636-a93c-441c-bc44-2537c54e2d66.jpg

Maybe the guidelines should contain similar wording.

What wording is that? You quoted the correct guideline but you seem to have trouble with one word: option. The problem with people who come on the forum with what they believe is a novel argument for banning some type of cache they don't like is that they never seem to have an argument that makes any sense. You have not found a clever reason for reviewers not approving LPCs. Try something else. :ph34r:

Virtuals? Yeah, I would chase those......

never.

Are you serious? Some of my all-time favorite caches have been virtuals. The ones that you hear about here (the old shoes, dead animal, etc) are long gone. I'm talking about virtuals like Holly Shrine and The Day the Music Died.

Yes, I'm serious.

I can go to places and enjoy the places without having to send something to someone to get a smiley.

never.

Are you serious? Some of my all-time favorite caches have been virtuals. The ones that you hear about here (the old shoes, dead animal, etc) are long gone. I'm talking about virtuals like Holly Shrine and The Day the Music Died.

Yes, I'm serious.

I can go to places and enjoy the places without having to send something to someone to get a smiley.

Oh, sure. But you can go somewhere cool AND get a smiley for it. Very few of them that I've been to make you jump through hoops. Many only ask for enough to prevent armchair logging. Earthcaches, on the other hand, sometimes get a little more complicated than that.

never.

Yes, I'm serious.

Oh, sure. But you can go somewhere cool AND get a smiley for it. Very few of them that I've been to make you jump through hoops. Many only ask for enough to prevent armchair logging. Earthcaches, on the other hand, sometimes get a little more complicated than that.

Yeah and there are people who like to play Charades too... I just don't see it as fun.

Okay, I'll bite...

Yes, we understand the differences between LPCs in parking lots, ammo cans in the middle of the woods, well-hidden urban camouflage, etc.

But what does that have to do with banning LPCs in parking lots?

I've found hundreds of caches without a GPS receiver. Yes, the remote ones were more difficult to locate using satellite photos, but I managed. Others use map and compass, and are able to find remote caches too.

All a GPS receiver does is get you to ground zero. You can get to ground zero without using the GPS satellites or a GPS receiver, but you're still "using accurate GPS coordinates as an integral part of the cache hunt", as the guideline you quoted puts it. As long as the cache location is described by accurate GPS coordinates, the guideline is satisfied.

Look at it this way: a lone tree on a hillside is no harder to identify in a satellite photo than an LPC in a parking lot. Are you going to ban caches hidden next to lone trees too?

Well thought I would through in my 2 cents.

Lamp post caches can be lame I will agree. Heck, I have done one, but I put a twist on it. Its not in the obvious way.

I am not terribly fond of micro's too much although I have a couple out there my self LoL. I do look for the micro's however, but I find that I tend to stay away from caches that lead to a parking lot.

Its just the same old song and dance. I am surprised that people even look for the one I did, but they do.

I personally think that these caches are perfectly acceptable and here is why.

1. First off, no one said you had to look for a lamp post cache. You can pick and choose to your liking.

2. There are all types of skill level, and preferences. And there are all types of seekers out there. Lamp post caches are perfect for beginners to practice. they are great for families with children seeking. easy to find for them. As well, some times its fun to be out some where shopping or what have you and see it pop up on the gps in the very parking lot your in. Might as well find it.

3. There are some people out there that only like these small micro caches, and like to find this type.

Geocaching is for every one. For all kinds of hides and all kinds of seekers. You would be limiting the sport by not allowing such hides.

If you don't want to find a lamp post hide, don't find it. I will because I want to find any I am near.

cc5994f4-c2c6-4b73-8e59-eeffd6e6403a.jpg

Although this appears to be out in the middle of nowhere, you're fully aware of the noise of large industrial vehicles just a few hundred yards away - because there's a huge hole in the ground about half a mile in depth being dug nearby, not to mention a rapidly growing spoil heap that's recently started blocking TV and mobile phone signals to local communities!

Opencast mine on geograph.org.uk taken from the opposite side of the valley from where the lamp post and cache are situated.

The lamp post is not the only thing to be abandoned - the top part of the village was compulsary purchased by the government in the late 1980s and subsequently most of the .

Edited by Eclectic Penguin

never.

Yes, I'm serious.

Interesting. My wife uses a similar argument when she explains to me why geocaching is stupid.

121 times, to be exact. :lol:

Over 6 years. Not a bad track record... better than most. :D

-

Ok, So I was being facetious... but it would be nice to bring back virtuals and do away with LPCs... :ph34r:

Okay Jason, there has to be more to it than that? :D Or am I rubbing off on you? B):lol:

Knowing you personally and your very significant contribution to the S.E. Texas caching community it's interesting to see you ask a question and be accused of being inane and called a troll since I know these labels can't be farther from the truth. :D

03_elevated.jpg

Well, it's not often I stoop down low enough to participate in these forums. I do slip up on ocassion though. :D

GOSH! What does that say about me? :D I'm one of the top 20 posters here. :huh::D No hard feelins buddy. I KNOW you weren't intentionally knocking me. B)

I honestly don't see a great deal of difference between this forum and your own at HGCS.org, EXCEPT in situations such as this thread. You weren't attacking yet your OP was perceived as an attack. This type of situation can become a feeding frenzy here where as on your forum, we are more restrained due to familiarity.

You need a very thick skin to play here, yet this forum is tame, tame, tame compared to forums like you find on craigslist, etc.

There are 2 things that attract me here more than your forum. #1 SPEED of feedback! (I haven't been on a regional/local forum that could beat a snail in a race consistantly.) #2 The peanut gallery! :wub: They make ya laugh, seldom make you cry, and consistantly give you a smug superior feeling on occasion when they post without filtering their message. :D

GOSH! What does that say about me? :D I'm one of the top 20 posters here. :D:lol: No hard feelins buddy. I KNOW you weren't intentionally knocking me. :D

I honestly don't see a great deal of difference between this forum and your own at HGCS.org, EXCEPT in situations such as this thread. You weren't attacking yet your OP was perceived as an attack. This type of situation can become a feeding frenzy here where as on your forum, we are more restrained due to familiarity.

You need a very thick skin to play here, yet this forum is tame, tame, tame compared to forums like you find on craigslist, etc.

There are 2 things that attract me here more than your forum. #1 SPEED of feedback! (I haven't been on a regional/local forum that could beat a snail in a race consistantly.) #2 The peanut gallery! :D They make ya laugh, seldom make you cry, and consistantly give you a smug superior feeling on occasion when they post without filtering their message. :ph34r:

Well, I was trolling. I hate the proliferation of LPCs but I don't hate micros perse. It's just that there is no good way to filter them. So after seeing another local's cache get declined citing the guideline I thought it would be slightly humorous to pose the question here on big green knowing the response it would generate.

Same reason why you posted your naked event cache thread.

As far as the forums go... The big difference is HGCS is a community based forum that derives no profit.

The forums here are a customer facing aspect of Groundspeak which in turn affects the business.

The behavior that's allowed to breed on these forums is unacceptable. A behavior I won't allow on HGCS.

A newbie can't come to these forums and pose a question without being attacked. It doesn't matter if it's been asked a millions times. It's still not right for them to get attacked. What great way to drive away a possible paying customer.

Of course I'm generalizing and I know not everyone here is so bad but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times someone has come up to me at an event and complained about the forums here. They'll flat out say "I'll never post there again...".

Good example, uh, unless you think I was trolling. :lol:

Notice that thread didn't degenerate into attacks or get angsty. It got a little silly, but I doubt anyone got their feelings hurt that didn't have a pucker factor of +10 and showers in the dark. :D:ph34r:

It just shows to go, that it's not so much WHAT you say as HOW you say it. I am not the best practioner myself at times, but who the heck is? :D

At the end of the day forums is forums and cachers is cachers. There are people here that I dust it up with regularly that get along with me just fine offline. :D:D I never learned much from someone that always agreed with me.

Some folks have a hard time separating an opinion forum from real life and get hurt then take their toys and go home. Oh well. We're mostly big boys and girls. :D I seriously doubt it has cost Groundspeak millions and I trust that the powers that be would take action if it did. :D

...No, as noted, the OPTION of using GPS to find the cache must be demonstrated....

Let me build on this.

The only place I've seen this rule invoked is on Letterbox Hybrids where if someone uses the GPS to take them to a landmark where the letterbox clues start and thus bypassing the need to use a GPS at all.

I've debated this point because I've always felt the coords should be to the start of the Lettbox clues. Not the box, but others including this site don't see it that way and require the GPS be able to zero you in on the hybrid.

As that applies to this case that the coords take you to an easy to identify spot, doesn't matter. It's that they take you there to begin with that matters.

Well, I was trolling. I hate the proliferation of LPCs but I don't hate micros perse. It's just that there is no good way to filter them. So after seeing another local's cache get declined citing the guideline I thought it would be slightly humorous to pose the question here on big green knowing the response it would generate.

Swing and a miss.

strike_out.gif

As far as the forums go... The big difference is HGCS is a community based forum that derives no profit.

The forums here are a customer facing aspect of Groundspeak which in turn affects the business.

The behavior that's allowed to breed on these forums is unacceptable. A behavior I won't allow on HGCS.

A newbie can't come to these forums and pose a question without being attacked. It doesn't matter if it's been asked a millions times. It's still not right for them to get attacked. What great way to drive away a possible paying customer.

First, you are not a newbie. Second, honest questions are generally given honest answers. Trollish posts are generally responded to in kind.
Of course I'm generalizing and I know not everyone here is so bad but I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the number of times someone has come up to me at an event and complained about the forums here. They'll flat out say "I'll never post there again...".

Citing anonymous peaves is unhelpful in obtaining a solution. If you see a noob getting attacked for no good reason, feel free to either jump into the fray or report the post. From my experience, the moderators are pretty good at breaking up the rough housing.

Every last one of those folks who complain to you is part of the problem. By abandoning the forums and not sticking up for the own, they allow the very thing they dislike to thrive. They had a chance to make a difference and they turned their back.

At one point I abandoned the forums for that very reason. When I came back I started slamming the folks who slammed the noobs and that became my MO. Since then I've probably evolved into part of the problem and part of the solution depending on what day it is. Overall I try to give straight even if blunt answers. Not always on the PC side, and a lot of answers are opinion, but this is a forum whey they are asking for opinions and guidance.

Good example, uh, unless you think I was trolling. :lol:

Did your intentions of that thread match any part of the following description? :ph34r:

Be honest now ... :D

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or collaborative content community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Well, I was trolling.

Always better to be a part of the problems than part of the solutions? :D

Sometimes it's necessary to contribute to the problem/s in order for the solution to present itself.

However trolling isn't the problem.

Edited by Team Four Paw

...No, as noted, the OPTION of using GPS to find the cache must be demonstrated....

Let me build on this.

The only place I've seen this rule invoked is on Letterbox Hybrids where if someone uses the GPS to take them to a landmark where the letterbox clues start and thus bypassing the need to use a GPS at all.

I've debated this point because I've always felt the coords should be to the start of the Lettbox clues. Not the box, but others including this site don't see it that way and require the GPS be able to zero you in on the hybrid.

As that applies to this case that the coords take you to an easy to identify spot, doesn't matter. It's that they take you there to begin with that matters.

Library caches are also good examples of this. If I were to name my cache 'Franklin Library' and start the clues in the general vicinity of the library, leading players into the library and to the book (though whatever clues necessary to discover the book). It likely wouldn't be listed because they wouldn't need to go to the coord location to hop on my clue train and find the cache. They would just go to the Franklin Library.

If I gave it a more cryptic name and wrote the clues in such a way that you would need to go to the coord location and follow the clues to get led into the library, I'd be good.

Well, I was trolling.

Always better to be a part of the problems than part of the solutions? :ph34r:

Sometimes it's necessary to contribute to the problem/s in order for the solution to present itself.

Posting in a manor designed to disrupt normal on topic discussion and/or provoke an emotional response, etc. what ever, does nothing to promote civil forum behavior. If you wish to see a more civilized forum why would you post in a manor that is designed to disrupt that very civility?

Good example, uh, unless you think I was trolling. :D

Did your intentions of that thread match any part of the following description? :ph34r:

Be honest now ... :D

In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or collaborative content community with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

I think it also depends on the spirit/motivation for the post.

Knowing me as you do, do you think I wouldn't post/try to post a clothing optional event? :D

Could I have been gathering public opinion or do you really think I was just trolling?

Yes, I realize I typed do do. :lol:

Edited by Snoogans

Well, I was trolling.

Always better to be a part of the problems than part of the solutions? :ph34r:

Posting in a manor designed to disrupt normal on topic discussion and/or provoke an emotional response, etc. what ever, does nothing to promote civil forum behavior. If you wish to see a more civilized forum why would you post in a manor that is designed to disrupt that very civility?

My understanding from reading is that the poster has their own forum.

An attempt to drive people to the other forum perhaps?

Well, I was trolling.

"No person is completely worthless. At the very least, one can always serve as a bad example."

I have no interest in taking lectures on basic forum etiquette from a person who deliberately violates basic forum etiquette.

Congratulations. You have just given me my very, very first reason for using the Ignore function.

Could I have been gathering public opinion or do you really think I was just trolling?

Yes, I realize I typed do do. :ph34r:

Can I just call you a Drama Queen and be done with it...? :lol:

Just kidding but I know you like to stir the pot every once in awhile.. :D

An attempt to drive people to the other forum perhaps?

Man... you couldn't possibly be further from the truth.