Most difficult terrain hide?

GC11MQ0 is the most difficult terrain find for me. It was breathtaking, in many ways.

This is the approximate walking route to reach the cache which we took (nevermind the drive to get there!):

7e971542-e22a-464d-859e-58fdf169857b.jpg

This is a sample of the terrain:

e62769c6-b838-4049-ad46-5849b2483bcf.jpg

And finally, the last 500 feet of the expedition (that "thing" at the peak is me - I got a bit ahead of my caching buddy for the day):

7ad3bd18-56ad-486b-b552-33eb06aecf6d.jpg

(edit - fixed one of the picture links)

Edited by Jeep_Dog

Oh oh... here's that 40 degree slope thing again! :ph34r:

While I have found a number of 5 star terrain caches, most of them are that because they are on islands and require a boat. But I have found a few with well-deserved 4.5 & 5 star terrain ratings, the most memorable of which was Kitchen Cove Cache in Winonah, MN

I see that you are from Ohio. I hope this doesn't affect your new hide!

Edited by knowschad

Wow... I havn't heard that news. I guess that I would have put off that hour long hike to place the cache way up on that ridge yesterday had I known. Hmmm.... I guess that it is a good thing that I live within close proximity of ky and wv. It would really bum me out if that got rid of woods hides. It's funny that they let atv's up in the woods to create a path of destruction, but we can't hide a plastic container out of sight in those same woods. Not to mention all of the trash that people on atv's leave behind. Does the state legislature not have better things to debate than geocaching. What ever happened to "bailouts" and "economy" debates. :ph34r:

76151a81-31a3-4716-9e87-d1c92bfe2386.jpg

Furby and Finley bagging Mount Monroe.

Early in my geocaching career, my sister and I hiked the Presi Traverse. It took us two days, and about 4000' of climb to get this far from Crawford Notch. For a 1/5 Virtual! Much easier if you hike down from Mountain Washington, but that's still a 1000' climb. It took us another two days to finish the Presi Traverse.

Not at all sure this qualifies, but you "start" your hike up to our cache at 11,200' then hike for 3 miles, gain altitude to 13,898' and within a hundred yards, the lucky hikers will find our cache

Horseshoe Summit Cabin Cache

And by fellow Coloradans' hiking standards "Ain't nutt'n unless it's a fourteener!"

No 4x4 roads leading closer? A 3 mile hike at 11K - almost 14K is the only way? If so... wow!

I am very familiar with the San Juans, having lived in the 4 corners area for 7 years, but there are very few areas there that you can't get to near with a 4WD, no matter how awesome they are.

Not at all sure this qualifies, but you "start" your hike up to our cache at 11,200' then hike for 3 miles, gain altitude to 13,898' and within a hundred yards, the lucky hikers will find our cache

And by fellow Coloradans' hiking standards "Ain't nutt'n unless it's a fourteener!"

No 4x4 roads leading closer? A 3 mile hike at 11K - almost 14K is the only way? If so... wow!

I am very familiar with the San Juans, having lived in the 4 corners area for 7 years, but there are very few areas there that you can't get to near with a 4WD, no matter how awesome they are.

You can take an ambitious 4x4 up to the saddle between Peerless Mountain, and Horseshoe Mountain. In fact we encountered a Nissan 4 Runner coming down, on our hike up. And there were 2 ATV's on the way up as we descended. Nearby, Mt. Bross is considered a "hike" even though it is accessible by 4x4's and ATV's.

We hike it

GCG79W Room With A View

My first cache and placed when I think the range of difficulty was up to 4 stars, so mine probably requires a slight update. Depending upon the approach it can be brutal or just a nice tough hike. The day I planted it was very hot and the gravel on the fire road sucking at my wheels until my chain snapped (fortunately I had a chain tool and a spare link kit and was on my way again.) I think elevation is only a couple thousand feet, but the West Ridge Trail from Waddell Beach can make this a Death March. See some of the logs and pictures to get an idea what some have thought of this. I still love the views.

Edited by DragonsWest