User threw away my coin

TeamWawa666

Hello,

I made a copy of my coin to let it travel, because real coins get stolen very often in this area. The copy was a small booklet with pictures of the coin. This was also written in the desciption on the coin page.

Today the coin got a very weird log... The user wrote he wouldn't support coin copies, so he threw mine away.

Now what can I do about this? The user doesn't seem to be willing to discuss about the whole thing. Can I report him to a moderator? Since in my opinion throwing away other people's property, even if it's only a booklet or coin copy of whatever type, isn't what should be allowed at geocaching.com.

The site of the coin, including the description and the log of that person is here (in German, though):

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.as...36-d3f4bd06201c

I hope you have an idea what I could do about this.

Wawa666

This kinda of bothers me :ph34r: ....we don't see people going and throwing away crappy swag :ph34r: . If you don't like it leave it and move on. I wonder if this cacher partakes in CITO along the route too.

Coins can be expensive and I personally understand your hesitation about releasing one. I haven't done it but see nothing wrong with it especially since you noted it on the coin page (even if you didn't, I wouldn't mind) I really do like to see the real deal once I get there but could only blame myself if I didn't click on the trackable link on the cache page.

Just my two cents.

Edited by steel city babes

Using googles translation tool, it looks like he doesn't realize that the copy is what you intended to have travel. I'm thinking that he thinks you set the coin free and someone else stole it and replaced it with the booklet. You might want to send him a friendly email letting him know that your booklet was in fact your intended traveler and to please allow it to continue traveling. Good luck :ph34r:

Edit to add: Google tells me the log says: "what is this supposed to be, this is just a journal and not a Coin? I think the coin is lost somewhere. I will not senseless log booklet to hide, so this is the mission Coins probably ended.

If anyone know where the coin is, he can write to me, yes ..."

Edited by ThirstyMick

Using googles translation tool, it looks like he doesn't realize that the copy is what you intended to have travel. I'm thinking that he thinks you set the coin free and someone else stole it and replaced it with the booklet. You might want to send him a friendly email letting him know that your booklet was in fact your intended traveler and to please allow it to continue traveling. Good luck :ph34r:

Edit to add: Google tells me the log says: "what is this supposed to be, this is just a journal and not a Coin? I think the coin is lost somewhere. I will not senseless log booklet to hide, so this is the mission Coins probably ended.

If that is how it translates I too think he was confused but when the cacher looked it up and read the OP's TB page instruction wouldn't you think twice about discarding it.

NOTE my thoughts are based on what OP stated in original post, I didn't do any translation.

Oh dear. That's not in the spirit of the game at all. :ph34r:

He's a relatively new geocacher, so perhaps he doesn't realise that releasing a copy of a geocoin is acceptable practice.

There's not a lot you can do about it, if he won't respond to your emails. Maybe try one more time and include a link to this Topic so that he can see what others think of his actions?

MrsB

Can I report him to a moderator? Since in my opinion throwing away other people's property, even if it's only a booklet or coin copy of whatever type, isn't what should be allowed at geocaching.com.

I'm sorry to say that we, as moderators, only control the content posted in these forums - not what happens in the game/hobby itself. While this is a bad situation, there's nothing that we can do about it, sorry.

Your best advice is to try to reach out and explain the copy's purpose, if you can, and hope for the best.

It's sad to see things like this (if we understand correctly that he threw it away because he doesn't like the fact that it's a copy). Many people don't like copies, but I've never actually seen/heard of somebody tossing one away.

If that is how it translates I too think he was confused but when the cacher looked it up and read the OP's TB page instruction wouldn't you think twice about discarding it.

NOTE my thoughts are based on what OP stated in original post, I didn't do any translation.

I would agree that reading the TB page would clear of the confusion, maybe he didn't read it carefully? I don't know (the google grammar is a little off too, so maybe I'm misunderstanding his note) but if he did just toss it b/c he doesn't like the copy, I agree, that's a crummy thing to do.

I'd hope for the best and send an email explaining the situation and be as nice as possible.

Edited by ThirstyMick

Well reading the post's of how it translates, it seems he might think your coin went missing & that the copy is not meant to travel..

Although, if after emailing him it comes about that he just doesnt like the idea of the copy & threw it away.... How close are you to 1 of his caches?

This is not completely true. It is a copy of the coin that is attached to a booklet where cachers can sign in when and where they have seen/moved the coin. Actually a nice idea, if I think about it.

Wawa666 posted in the German forums as well and as far as I understand it he already contacted that cacher and tried to explain what it is all about. But he seems to be resistant to any kind of explanation.

Anyway, one can like copies or not. And if you don't like them, just ignore them. And if you don't know, what it is, it never hurts to ask! What I find most interesting is the fact that that user does not own any activated trackable item. So he never experienced the fun but also the hassle one can have with geocoins.

You might explain to him that there are hundreds more out there. He cannot throw them out! Invite him into the forums to read about "Proxy" coins. Tell him this is an accepted practice and is done all the time. Explain that it is done mostly when geocoins go missing, either by theft, or by loss, and it is the same thing as a Travel Bug copy tag. It's just that people are not given a copy geocoin when they buy them and the tracking number is still valid, so a "Proxy coin" was released. I do not speak German, and do not trust an online translator to get my point across, so I cannot do this for you. He has no right to throw away something that is a game piece that belongs to another person. I'm afraid with proxy coins this is happening more and more. Yours is the second such situation to come to light in the forums in the last 3 days.

It was wrong to toss the copy, but it is also wrong to send the coin number to have it discoved with out them actual seeing the coin/copy.

If you read the description on the bottom he has

"You can also discover this coin if you log our cache "Suppenteller, Wagenräder, Mühlsteine" (GC1V67J). Please send an email to ask for the code."

Wawa666 --

I highly recommend that you:

1) Remove your offer to let people discover the coin by logging your cache. As NOSNOW has pointed out, this is not allowed and could lead to your traveller being locked

2) Edit your traveller's page to be much, much more explicit. It should say something like:

This item is a COPY, or PROXY - it is NOT the actual coin. We have done this to prevent the actual coin from being stolen. There is a journal attached to the copy and we invite you to sign your name, date & location when you discover/move it. We understand that some cachers do not like the idea of copies circulated instead of coins; if you object to coin copies, we ask that you simply leave this traveller alone.

It's what you already say, but clarified a bit, and hopefully the capital letters will stand out and make more sense...especially if you have to release the traveller because Strassenjunge threw it out. You might also ask him to mail you (through the post) the log, if he threw out the copy but not the actual journal, especially if he continues to fail to understand what you are doing.

Also because you used a copy there is no real lose...just make another & release it again !I get real coins going missing all the time...

I have a question though .Do you prefer finding a REAL coin or would you be ok if all travellers were copies?

I am not trying to stir up trouble but it is a legit question. I personally like the real McCoy ...but that is just my opinion.

On the other side I dont think people should throw out stuff unless it is damaged or moldy.

Ihr dürft diese Coin auch discovern, wenn ihr unseren Cache "Suppenteller, Wagenräder, Mühlsteine" (GC1V67J) gelöst habt. Bitte fragt dann per Email nach dem Code.

You can also discover this coin if you log our cache "Suppenteller, Wagenräder, Mühlsteine" (GC1V67J). Please send an email to ask for the code

Before you release any more copies, that text needs to be removed from the TB page. That can get your geocoin page locked so that no one can log it. Virtual discoveries are considered abuse of the geocaching.com system and if a trackable item is abused, it gets locked. Cachers should see the trackable item in person to log it, that is why the there is a tracking number and the page has a reference number. We don't post those numbers in person, or email them to allow discoveries.

Hi everyone,

I do understand a bit of German, and I think this is just a kid as he discribes himself as "streetboy". From his notice I understand that he doesn't get the idea behind the booklet. He thinks the coin got stolen and he is telling that if anyone has the coin, that he would be glad to add it to the booklet. I also think he only speaks German. Maybe you should try to find someone who can explain it to him in German. Let me know if you don't find someone, I'll then try in my best German, which is not so good.

Lien

Hello,

Thank you for the information.

I'm goin to clarify in the coins' titles that they are copies.

Also, I will remove that note, that people are allowed to discover the coin by logging a cache. I didn't know it was forbidden, because I have seen such things several times already in other cache descriptions. But now that I know, I will of course change it.

By the way, that user who threw away my coin copy changed his log:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2251916

"was soll das denn sein , das ist doch nur ein Heft und kein Coin ??? Eh mir jedoch eine wildgewordene Horde kleiner Pisser vor Wut die Reifen zersticht , hab ich diesen Quatsch mal weiterversteckt .

Der Owner sollte mal ernsthaft über einen Arztbesuch nachdenken !

Wenn man ein Stück Blech so "liebt" , das man es nur als Kopie ( ein Bildchen des Coins ) auf Reisen schickt , weil man Angst hat , es könnte ein anderer , genauso Verrückter daher kommen und das Blech stehlen , sind das ernste Anzeichen dafür , das da im Kopf irgendwas locker ist ."

This means (I hope you can understand my English):

"What's that? That's only a booklet and no coin. Since I don't want a mad bunch of little pissers prick the tires of my car in anger, I have rehidden this bulls***. The owner should consider visiting a mental doctor! If someone loves some piece of metal that much that he only releases it as a copy (a picture of the coin), since he fears, another idiot could steal it, that's a sign there's something wrong in his head."

Now I think this behavior is absolutely not what should be allowed on geocaching...

@whitebear: I don't mind if I see real coins or just proxies. Of course I understand that most people prefer real coins. But in my area we've got a huge problems with coins (and travel bug dog tags) being stolen. There are such cases almost every day, so most people don't release any coins at all anymore. I think that's a pity, so I thought a proxy would be better than no travellers in this area at all.

Hi everyone,

I do understand a bit of German, and I think this is just a kid as he discribes himself as "streetboy". From his notice I understand that he doesn't get the idea behind the booklet. He thinks the coin got stolen and he is telling that if anyone has the coin, that he would be glad to add it to the booklet. I also think he only speaks German. Maybe you should try to find someone who can explain it to him in German. Let me know if you don't find someone, I'll then try in my best German, which is not so good.

Lien

I have 4 years of high school German. I would be glad to help, I can still remember. "Good Day!" "how are you?" "I have a yellow pencil" and the most important "I must make pee pee." I don't recall how to ask where the bathroom is, but using the "Ich must pee pee machen" like a 5 year old gets the point across.

This evening I purchsed some coins online. I have never placed new coins and now, having read these posts, I am a bit discouraged that they won't travel far before someone decides to add them to their collection! I too would rather find the coin than a proxy, but I will make a copy of them first to use as backup.

Grrrrr.... it's time to be a rebel!!

This coin thread has inspired me to release a bunch of new coins in town tomorrow - the real metal ones! Ha!

I hope one day they make it Germany and you can discover them or move them in your travels.

Wish them well - here they go!

Landsharkz,

I'm with you on being a rebel! My goal will be to drop 25 new coins before the end of summer! Maybe a few will make it to Germany!!

OverTheEdge

OverTheEdge - Chris and some friends paddled to a lighthouse cache today and before he left I tucked one of the newly activated coins in his pocket along with a siggy tag, a pencil and our stamp.... When he came back to shore guess what was still in his pocket!?

If you want a job done right.... :D

So far one Canada Micro is released - oh well, I guess we'll spread the weekend goal out over a few more days of caching!

If anyone ever finds a copy of a coin that we have released, please advise us and then destroy it!

Now what can I do about this?

Trade for a 'Notorious' most wanted poster geocoin, buy a tombstone justice coin... grab a 'I bashed at midwest' a MOGA pistol, hiking topo boots, a compass rose and jump up on your Arabian horse geocoin and head on out after him with your posse ... head West in to the setting Sunburst, suncatcher coin. You only then will you find a Peace coin and Tranquility. :D

This evening I purchsed some coins online. I have never placed new coins and now, having read these posts, I am a bit discouraged that they won't travel far before someone decides to add them to their collection! I too would rather find the coin than a proxy, but I will make a copy of them first to use as backup.

It seems that at least once a week a person new to geocaching posts to the Forums confusion over collecting vs. releasing coins with the assumption one collects coins released into caches (free loot and treasure - gotta luv something for nothing). I'm afraid there is a large and growing culture out there that believes THAT is the way to join the collectors' club.

By the way, that user who threw away my coin copy changed his log:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=2251916

"was soll das denn sein , das ist doch nur ein Heft und kein Coin ??? Eh mir jedoch eine wildgewordene Horde kleiner Pisser vor Wut die Reifen zersticht , hab ich diesen Quatsch mal weiterversteckt .

Der Owner sollte mal ernsthaft über einen Arztbesuch nachdenken !

Wenn man ein Stück Blech so "liebt" , das man es nur als Kopie ( ein Bildchen des Coins ) auf Reisen schickt , weil man Angst hat , es könnte ein anderer , genauso Verrückter daher kommen und das Blech stehlen , sind das ernste Anzeichen dafür , das da im Kopf irgendwas locker ist ."

This means (I hope you can understand my English):

"What's that? That's only a booklet and no coin. Since I don't want a mad bunch of little pissers prick the tires of my car in anger, I have rehidden this bulls***. The owner should consider visiting a mental doctor! If someone loves some piece of metal that much that he only releases it as a copy (a picture of the coin), since he fears, another idiot could steal it, that's a sign there's something wrong in his head."

:D Wow, this guy is a little off if you ask me.....

hi landsharkz - if you want a quick german travel coin post them to travelingviking pm him - he's perfectly reliable and loves all tb's. I have a coin headed via caches to go live in his geocoin museum/display in Hannover - it was getting pretty close then somehow detouring via norway!