New Cache Etiquette

TrCeaAstTer

Hello,

I'm finally ready to place my first ammo box cache (as opposed to micros). My only question is what do I put in for the FTF? If I buy a geocoin do I activate it? What are some things that you have gotten as a FTF? Seeing as I have never been one I would love to hear what is common.

Thanks!

I've never received an FTF prize because I've never been the FTF for any cache. It's something that doesn't interest me a bit.

But early on when I was still learning the ropes, I used to put FTF prizes in. Things like USB-to-Mini USB cables for GPSr units, stereo earbuds, a miniature toolset, rare earth magnets for making magnetic cache containers, a few bucks cash, etc. But most of the time the prize is ignored, and rarely acknowledged. So I stopped doing it, and I haven't heard any negative comments.

I think FTF prizes are not expected, since for the FTF hounds, the +1 FTFs is THE prize.

I'm finally ready to place my first ammo box cache (as opposed to micros). My only question is what do I put in for the FTF? If I buy a geocoin do I activate it? What are some things that you have gotten as a FTF? Seeing as I have never been one I would love to hear what is common.

It's not your fault, but such threads usually have a tendency to degenerate into a FTF debate. Hopefully, by posting this, I might ward that off for a little while.

There is no requirement, not even for etiquette reason. I usually include a little something for fun, because I think it is fun. If you can leave something inexpensive and in-theme, I think that is nice.

Hello,

Thanks!

If you buy an unactivated geocoin to go in your ammo can for the FTF prize, I would consider that to be very, very generous! Around these parts it's rare to find that...

Does your cache have a particular theme? or is there something unusual or special about local area? Could your FTF prize have some local significance?

The main thing to remember is you don't have to leave a FTF prize. It's a kind thought, but don't feel obliged to leave one.

MrsB :ph34r:

I'm preparing my first hide myself and I was a bit stumped as to what to give as a FTF prize. I finally settled on a Good Luck & Protection Red Dragon Talisman Keychain. I figured it was valuable yet inexpensive, useful & interesting. Plus it fits the theme and fits in the box.

Edited by runawaybunny

Hello,

Thanks!

The only prize most FTF hounds are looking for is a blank logbook.

FTF prizes, though a nice touch, are not expected or particularly common. I have perhaps two dozen FTFs in my caching career and have never encountered an FTF prize. In my 270 some cache placements, I've put a FTF prize in maybe 15 of them.

Among the things I've used are geocaching.com hats, binoculars, MP3 players, Petzel Tikka headlamps, a hydration pack, unactivated geocoins, collectible coins and silver certificates.

I've heard of people who have left cash, gift cards and memory sticks.

I personally think people should forget about the FTF prize and use the money they would have spent to spruce up the cache contents for everyone

We try to put a little something in each new cache but it is not expected. There is a cache placed in my area that place ftf prizes in every cache and we are hounds. I think we owe him somewhere around 50 bucks, it almost makes me feel guilty

About 20% of our FTF caches have had a prize in it. The value has ranged from $1 up to $20. As a general rule we have found that the higher the rating the larger the prize. We are happy with a blank log book, but a prize of some sort makes it that much nicer, it's like getting a special treat. We've picked up unactivated geocoins, travel bug tags, a very nice book, a FTF pin, a couple of dollars and a few other nice items.

Putting a FTF prize in your cache is up to you. Of the 6 caches that we have put out only four of them have had a prize and the value ranged from $4 to $12. The way we see it, if you are going to put SWAG in your cache, why not put in something a little extra for the first person that finds it.

Hello,

Thanks!

A roman coin was cool.

I once got a gift certificate that I promptly lost.

Other than that I don't normally actually care one way or the other about FTF prizes and sometimes have left them for the next finder.

As for what you should do. Anything you want that fits the guidelines (family fiendly no feed etc.) is good. You can even do nothing whatsoever, or evne have no swag at all in your cache.