Best Garmin. . . . .

That's hard to say without knowing someone's top priority for using it. If paperless caching and a touch screen is the top priority then an Oregon. If the best repeatable unit with the best tracking capability is the most important than the 60CSx with the Sirf III chip.

Edited by eaparks

I just got an Oregon 200 and LOVE it. We just do basic family geocaching and the ease of use and going paperless has been great. If cost wasn't an option I would have purchased the oregon 500 series in order to add a camera.

if your other unit(s) are coming apart after a month is it due to heavy use or poor construction? if it is poor construction i would think that you wouldn't have an issue getting it repaired/replaced under warranty.

I just got an Oregon 200 and LOVE it. We just do basic family geocaching and the ease of use and going paperless has been great. If cost wasn't an option I would have purchased the oregon 500 series in order to add a camera.

How's the screen? Any real issues with brightness? I'm a 2 month old Geocacher and haven't purchased a GPS yet. The Oregon series has caught my eye but I want to make sure it's exactly what I'm looking for before investing so much $$$. I'm looking at the 400t. I've heard people complaining about the brightness.

I'm certainly not Mr. Hard Core Cacher but I want something great to get me going. Any issues?

--Ethan

How's the screen? Any real issues with brightness? I'm a 2 month old Geocacher and haven't purchased a GPS yet. The Oregon series has caught my eye but I want to make sure it's exactly what I'm looking for before investing so much $$$. I'm looking at the 400t. I've heard people complaining about the brightness.

I'm certainly not Mr. Hard Core Cacher but I want something great to get me going. Any issues?

--Ethan

I've had my Oregon 300 since last October. Done over 500 caches since I bought it. To be honest coming from using a 60csx to the Oregon the screen did take a little bit to get used too, but not long. You just have to learn how to hold it. I never use the backlight unless I'm reading a cache page. All I can say is if you know someone who has an Oregon ask if you could check it out. I mounted a handlebar mount on my bicycle to do some bike n' cache runs. I was a bit worried but it worked out fine. In my opinion this whole screen issue is not an issue at all.

Whats the best garmin you can buy that DOESN'T have the black rubber that comes off after a month?

I have the etrex venture HC and it has the issue.

money isn't an issue. thanks

I don't think the rubber coming off is an issue unless you mistreat the unit - leaving it on your dashboard on a 90 degree day, mishandling it, etc.

I've had my Venture HC for 10 months now and it still looks like new. I use a neoprene window case with a caribiner for my cache hunts and that seems to protect it very well.

Whats the best garmin you can buy that DOESN'T have the black rubber that comes off after a month?

I don't think the rubber coming off is an issue unless you mistreat the unit - leaving it on your dashboard on a 90 degree day, mishandling it, etc.

I've had my Venture HC for 10 months now and it still looks like new. I use a neoprene window case with a caribiner for my cache hunts and that seems to protect it very well.

I've had my Legend HCx for over a year, and the rubber is still firmly in place. I use it for caching (carry it as my backup now that I have the PN-40), and also as a speedometer/trip recorder for my bicycle and motorcycle. Also took it on a couple trips. And I don't have any kind of cover for it, by the way.

I had the problem numerous times (each time repaired for free by Garmin) until I stopped leaving the unit in the hot car in the summer.

It's been 2 years and the band is still intact.

Anyway, if someone stole all of my GPS units tomorrow, I would go out and buy another 60CSX.

Edited by briansnat

We just bought a Venture HC and found that it only has a basic freeway map and doesn't seem to be able to download a street level type map. Advice? I'm ready to return it and we haven't even used it.

We just bought a Venture HC and found that it only has a basic freeway map and doesn't seem to be able to download a street level type map. Advice? I'm ready to return it and we haven't even used it.

hi

you can download map sections or tile to this unit, but the file must be 20mb or less because of the limited memory

Take a look at open street maps for your area, these maps are however not that detailed but are free!

or you can buy garmin topo DVD and send sections to the gps but these can be expensive.

take a look :ph34r:

I have owned and used both the etrex and oregon. To me, funny enough, the etrex is both more accurate and its compass is less finicky. This is more than offset by the paperless features of the oregon. The oregon does occasionally cause me to miss caches (~2% of the time).