Garmin 60 CSX

When the 60CSX is moving, the gps fixes drive the heading arrow. When stationary, or below the set threshold speed, the magnetic compass takes over after a set time. Be sure the compass is properly calibrated, and learn the proper holding technique. While you are moving above the set threshold speed, hold the unit with antenna up for best reception. When stopped, or moving below the set threshold speed, hold the unit level with the ground, and away from any metal, to maximize the compass accuracy.

I found that lowering the set threshold speed and time delay improved the performance of the heading arrow at slow walking speeds.

Edited by Glenn W

When I am doing a "go to" the arrow on my GPS never points in the correct direction. The only way i find a geocache is to watch the "distance to cache" and proceed in the direction that reduces the distance.

What am i doing wrong? Is it a calibration issue or ???

Thanks,

Paul

Did you confirm that the compass was turned on? (Look for the icon at the top)

Did you calibrate?

Are you holding the unit flat? You'll get a "hold level" message if you're not, or if you need to calibrate.

Yup, that appears to be it. I was not calibrating it. I did a little test in the backyard tonight and after calibration it appears to work just fine.

I guess you have to calibrate it everytime you turn it on ?

Thanks,

Paul

Lots of people, including me, keep the magnetic compass turned off, and just use the GPS compass. And yes , you have to be moving for it to work. Try it.

I have a dollar store compass on my GPSr lanyard. It is much quicker to refer to it than to go pushing buttons on the unit. You can also walk on the trail with the unit in your pocket without having to hold it level all the time. Once you are close to GZ you can hand hold it.

Different strokes for different folks!

Yup, that appears to be it. I was not calibrating it. I did a little test in the backyard tonight and after calibration it appears to work just fine.

I guess you have to calibrate it everytime you turn it on ?

Thanks,

Paul

No. How often you need to calibrate depends a good deal on the discharge profile of the batteries you use. NiMH batteries have a fairly flat profile, with a quick drop-off at the end. That means when you put in a freshly charged set of NiMHs, your initial calibration should last quite a while. But once they start dropping off, you may have to calibrate more often. That probably means you're quickly running out of juice. That could be after 8 or 10 hours, depending on a range of other factors.