Biggest Geocache Container

uminski

I have heard of a cache that is one of those truck loaded metal storage containers that you see on trains or train yards, big enough to fit a car in. The largest I have found though is a large metal box called the prezs cabinet by a gentleman named prez in the bush. It is four x four x four metal box

The largest I have found though is a large metal box called the prezs cabinet by a gentleman named prez in the bush. It is four x four x four metal box

I've seen the images on that one. very nice cache however I want to buy some nice swag for it before I go to "find" it.

somehow i think a 4 foot by 4 foot container would too hard to find :ph34r:

I was curious, what are the approx. sizes or dimensions of the largest Geocache containers?

How does a 95 gallon container rate?

Does anyone know what the LARGEST Geocache container is ?

I know of one that is a large culvert pipe that is about 20 feet long and 6' in diameter. The log sheet is attached to the inside of the pipe and all of the swag is magnetic as well (mostly fridge magnets). It's rated a 1 for difficulty.

I was curious, what are the approx. sizes or dimensions of the largest Geocache containers?

I know of one that is a large culvert pipe that is about 20 feet long and 6' in diameter. The log sheet is attached to the inside of the pipe and all of the swag is magnetic as well (mostly fridge magnets). It's rated a 1 for difficulty.

Whats a culvert pipe?

is that like a storm drain tunnel?

Whats a culvert pipe?

Yes

Whats a culvert pipe?

More or less. Think of a seasonal (dirt) road though the woods that has to cross a creek that's 15-20' wide. Instead of building a bridge, place a large metal pipe in the creek and build the road over the top of it. In this case, the culvert was replaced fairly recently and the old one was left along the side of the road.

There are dozens of seasonal roads like this within 25 miles of where I live. Many of them go through state land and, at least from April or so until November are passable using most cars or trucks. During the winter or after a heavy rain you'll almost certainly need a 4WD and even then, they can be very trecherous due to the hilly terrain....but they do make excellent areas to place caches.

The largest and most favorite container I've found is described as a "near a fallen tree in a small 4x4 container", and the hint is "Under a pile of rocks". The description even mentions that a new micro "Official Geocache" stickers is attached to it.

It's an abandoned 4WD Nissan Pathfinder with a few rocks stacked on the roof, and the "Official Geocache" sticker is stuck to the rear glass.

Edited by J-Way

The largest and most favorite container I've found is described as a "near a fallen tree in a small 4x4 container", and the hint is "Under a pile of rocks". The description even mentions that a new micro "Official Geocache" stickers is attached to it.

It's an abandoned 4WD Nissan Pathfinder with a few rocks stacked on the roof, and the "Official Geocache" sticker is stuck to the rear glass.

Heh heh. Thats AWESOME!

Blundered on a Cache Page a while back for one that was considered to be 'biggest'.(forget the listing, but it was referred from the Forums).. It was a small warehouse or garage structure in a small town..

I'll see if I can find it again. The size of the swag was impressive... I would like to go find that one someday.

Doug

Just to clarify, it is not abandoned. I own the property and I hauled it in there. When I archive the cache I will haul it back out and put it back into storage where I had it originally.

I am glad that people enjoy it.

We spent a lot of time wandering around looking for this container. It was well hidden and very hard to see. :D

8b8951ce-318e-48c0-b8dd-06f3a038127d.jpg

I was LASF on this one because I literally walked right by it and into the store. Once inside, I could see it through the front window. Before I could get back out to it smilespwnsu arrived and opened it up. Drat!

ac261d0c-7b32-4307-b45b-801e65b28a51.jpg

Edited by Road Rabbit

The largest and most favorite container I've found is described as a "near a fallen tree in a small 4x4 container", and the hint is "Under a pile of rocks". The description even mentions that a new micro "Official Geocache" sticker is attached to it.

Just to clarify, it is not abandoned. I own the property and I hauled it in there. When I archive the cache I will haul it back out and put it back into storage where I had it originally.

I am glad that people enjoy it.

I was trying to obfuscate the details enough such that no one could figure out which one it was. I thought at the time that MB had gone to hide a cache and drank a few too many beers while waiting for his receiver to zero in. Then he accidentally left his vehicle in the woods and walked home with the real 4x4 container.

I love a good play on words, so the moment of realization is, to date, one of my favorite geocaching moments. Fortunately I hadn't seen the pictures in the gallery before hand.

Edited by J-Way

This is one of the largest caches that I know of in U.K... "The Award-winning 130".

805c3c0d-ec0c-4754-a78a-a703989f7e1d.jpg

Not as huge as some mentioned in this thread but the original contents list might give a chuckle

"When hidden the cache contained:

Badminton Set for 2 players

Prinknash Pottery Coffee Jug

Crab line

Shoe polish kit

Decorating paint brushes x 5

Playing cards x 2

Book with four stories

Pump action water pistol

Super boomerang

Hard hat,blue in colour

Rastafarian's head

Comic relief big ears 34''

Stunt kite 24''

Inflatable beach ball

Cool dude catch ball game

Don't letit drop mini game

3.5x3.5'' Photo frame

Tumbling tower game

Super bouncing putty

Pocket radio

40 piece socket wrench set

8 pack of AA batteries

15 pack of assorted balloons

Telescopic umbrella

Alien head clock

Size 9 Golf shoes

Buzz lightyear car

5 x Betty Spaghetti dolls

Timberland Pencil Case

Ceramic Koala Bear Money Box

Chefs Set

Panasonic Walkman type tape player

CD Case

A small kitten

Restaurant at the End of the Universe Book

A Red Dwarf - Backwards Book

A kangaroo

A Palm PDA and Sync Cradle

and a cuddly toy dog!"

MrsB

Not as huge as some mentioned in this thread but the original contents list might give a chuckle

"When hidden the cache contained:

Badminton Set for 2 players

and a cuddly toy dog!"

MrsB

what, no fondue set ? :D

[brucie/]

didn't they do well !

[/brucie]

Total admiration for everyone placing anything larger than an ammo box !

and cache added to summer holidays MUST DO list, thanks Mrs B

Edited by SaltercreaseRangers

Blundered on a Cache Page a while back for one that was considered to be 'biggest'.(forget the listing, but it was referred from the Forums).. It was a small warehouse or garage structure in a small town..

I'll see if I can find it again. The size of the swag was impressive... I would like to go find that one someday.

Doug

I can imagine the online log: "Found the cache easily, searched 30 minutes for the logbook".

You could host an event in that cache!

There was a thread like this a long while back, and it was determined that the largest one was a decommissioned Soviet submarine I believe.

The Sub

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4f-70fb75a3dd6f

Some Largest Cache? threads..

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=212757&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=133279&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=121005&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=112605&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...c=95593&hl=

Edited by ohgr

wow... that WAS a cool container... sad to hear that it might be meeting its demise :D

If you ever get to visit "Ring of Fire" on the Olympic pennisula of Washington State, you'll find the cache inside a tremendous train, lying in the bottom of a canyon. I recently hosted an event and a large group of us will be setting out to find it this Fall.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...d9-4e35e1a46b1d

Crap, if I had known about that one I would have made the two hour drive from Belfair State Park when we were there to find that one. That sort of cache is right up my alley!

On topic, these are the two largest caches I have ever found, neither of which came close to some listed here.

Superbigginormouscache

World's Largest Travel Bug Hotel

There was a thread like this a long while back, and it was determined that the largest one was a decommissioned Soviet submarine I believe.

The Sub

That certainly is a great cache, but it seems to me the actual container is/was still just an ammo box.

By those standards, GCB998 The House of the Rising Sun(s) is MUCH larger since it is inside the US Airways Center (formerly America West Arena).

The Sub

That certainly is a great cache, but it seems to me the actual container is/was still just an ammo box.

By those standards, GCB998 The House of the Rising Sun(s) is MUCH larger since it is inside the US Airways Center (formerly America West Arena).

I was thinking the same thing. Unless the log was just sitting inside the sub and swag was strewn everywhere, then the cache container is a LOT smaller than the submarine.

The same can be said for the 4X4s left in the woods. Unless the 4X4 IS the cache container, the 4X4 might as well be a tree. It is just "camo" for the actual cache container.

HI all!

I'm a portugues geocacher and I recently made the biggest (so far) geocache in Viseu - POrtugal and around!

it's name is "Abraveses - Olhar o passdo, Luz no futuro". loog at the picture gallery and see if it is considered to be a XXL geocache!

Ah............ the peolple has to find the tool to opne it that I've hidden in a false lamp in the top of a light pole just on it's side!

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=1552701c-526a-4c34-b5c6-ab95d997a073

Biggest we have found was a puzzle, you had to find after finding about 10 puzzles to get the codes. The codes you found were the ones to get you threw the gate of a storage unit place. Then the rest of the code was for the combo on the lock of the storage shed. Once you openend the door to the huge storage room there was a bunch of small boxed that had actual puzzle pieces in them. You took one box home to figure out. I thought it would be simple but a crazy hard puzzle. Then once you got it together it gave you the coords to the final event. It was only active for a month or so but great fun to find.

Nah - This one's the biggest. GC2XZER. Although technically, this is not the container, it's the log book.

Guidelines prohibit signing a log in the woods but it was allowed to approve signing a building. Better yet, a building that was already being signed with boat names since the early 1900s? Cache hiders should never be given grief for nailing things, writing on things, digging things when such "special" cases are allowed that might "influence" one's thinking of what is allowed to be "hidden".

Nah - This one's the biggest. GC2XZER. Although technically, this is not the container, it's the log book.

Guidelines prohibit signing a log in the woods but it was allowed to approve signing a building. Better yet, a building that was already being signed with boat names since the early 1900s? Cache hiders should never be given grief for nailing things, writing on things, digging things when such "special" cases are allowed that might "influence" one's thinking of what is allowed to be "hidden".

Remember, there is no precedent for hiding a cache.

The game is adaptable when it comes to unique situations. This is a good example of a very unique hide that probably required quite a bit of behind-the-scenes discussion before it came to fruition.